ReefCleaners.org

•The Magic Kingdom 3g Pico• Retired

Jacob042426

I'm going to put the scallop back, now that I think of it I have no chance of keeping it alive. Pj86 evn had trouble with his. It'll have a better chance to survive if I put it back even though it has been in my tank. I'll keep the algae, though. Reef gardener also gets a lot of her stuff from the keys too. I'm sure y'all have noticed I have problems thinking before I do. :P

And actually, believe it or not, my grandma has been planning on getting me my Florida fishing for life license for a while because it's cheaper when you're younger. :P

Okay, I would really like you to listen to one thing I'm saying... Do not put the scallop back! Say some live rock you had in the tank carried spores for an invasive mollusk disease that would thrive in Florida's waters... The scallop gets the disease, then you put it back, it transfers the disease to all other mollusks in the vicinity and it kills a majority of the population. DO NOT PUT IT BACK! The absence of one isn't going to collapse the ecosystem. I would rather you cook it and eat it or feed it to a seagull instead of you putting it back. PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS!!!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jacob042426
Okay, I would really like you to listen to one thing I'm saying... Do not put the scallop back! Say some live rock you had in the tank carried spores for an invasive mollusk disease that would thrive in Florida's waters... The scallop gets the disease, then you put it back, it transfers the disease to all other mollusks in the vicinity and it kills a majority of the population. DO NOT PUT IT BACK! The absence of one isn't going to collapse the ecosystem. I would rather you cook it and eat it or feed it to a seagull instead of you putting it back. PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS!!!

Should I put it in my pest tank? I plan on feeding that tank really heavily. I think that this scallop won't last long because it will be competing with the star in this three gallon tank. :rolleyes:

exactly! I thought I was still of age. I think once your 16 or something you won't need you're license.

Well there you go, but that doesn't let you off the hook for the scallop. If it is illegal to be collected, you can't collect it if you're 5, 10 or 81.

I used to keep frogs a lot when I was little and would always take a ton of tadpoles, more than I needed. A few years back I collected some tadpoles. Probably around 50. Way more than I needed. I ended up putting them in my pond, I had no use for them. I only had three that I kept. A few weeks ago I went and collected more tadpoles from the same place, but this time I took the legal collection limit, which is less than five. I feel really good about collecting them now, and they have a great home in my greenhouse. I found one chilling in the 70% daytime humidity in a tub I was using to culture sphagnum today. They probably love the nights protected from frost too. They'll even be able to skip dormancy all together! I encourage you to take the legal collection limit before you go and get more. You'll be happy with the legal collection limit of things. Do research on things before you take them, like the scallop. It's illegal to take in your neck of the woods.

Should I put it in my pest tank? I plan on feeding that tank really heavily. I think that this scallop won't last long because it will be competing with the star in this three gallon tank. :rolleyes:

YES! Do that! :)

It will love the heavy feedings. If it doesn't make it, then oh well. You tried, and you shouldn't take any more.

What kind of scallop was it? Do you know the species? Is it a flame scallop? Those things are cool! :)

Jacob042426
YES! Do that! :)

It will love the heavy feedings. If it doesn't make it, then oh well. You tried, and you shouldn't take any more.

What kind of scallop was it? Do you know the species? Is it a flame scallop? Those things are cool! :)

yeah, it's a flame scallop and my mom is all omgomgomg over it. :lol: it was in a hole in my sea wall with two others. :) it seemed happy today when I got it in my tank.

yeah, it's a flame scallop and my mom is all omgomgomg over it. :lol: it was in a hole in my sea wall with two others. :) it seemed happy today when I got it in my tank.

Onice... Post pics of it! :D

I never got one, I heard they were hard to care for. I would think a wild one would be even more difficult to care for, coming from the perfect conditions and all.

Jacob042426

I need to post pics of the sponges that I found. My backyard is like a nps heaven. There are also some torts that I saw.

I need to post pics of the sponges that I found. My backyard is like a nps heaven. There are also some torts that I saw.

Your backyard? Do you live on the ocean? From the map I was looking at, it looked like you lived a bit away. Not like miles away, but definitely not your backyard...

Jacob042426
Your backyard? Do you live on the ocean? From the map I was looking at, it looked like you lived a bit away. Not like miles away, but definitely not your backyard...

I live in between two islands in biscayne bay.

It's kinda creepy to know that you know where I live... :eek:

I live in between two islands in biscayne bay.

There's like 70 islands in biskanyewest bay. <_<

did you save the link to harrison's Facebook?

Wait, I remembered his name because it's German. I'm looking at it right now. :D

Jacob042426
Wait, I remembered his name because it's German. I'm looking at it right now. :D

do you remember my name? :D i have more friends. if you can't find what I'm talking about, just look up surf side.

snowflake ell
i caught a small blenny today. it looks like a lawnmower blenny. :D should i keep it?

nah i would think its to big for a pico. and if your not sure i would deff not keep it

africaturtle

Man,

I've just spent and waste half an hour scanning through that endless thread that has so many pages and yet so little of it is actually informative or even interesting. Can't even tell if you've achieved anything in 100+ pages...

Don't mean to be rude, but hey, you sure like to listen to yourself talk.

Cheers.

Georges

Jacob042426

i tweaked the scape a little. its now 2 islands with a valley in between. before it was a flat horseshoe shape.

Man,

I've just spent and waste half an hour scanning through that endless thread that has so many pages and yet so little of it is actually informative or even interesting. Can't even tell if you've achieved anything in 100+ pages...

Cheers.

Georges

actually, i have another thread in the pico reefs section that is a photo journal of the tank to make it easier to see progression. its called the magic kingdom 2.0. i dont have many recent pics though.

eddiecorrea
Man,

Cheers.

Georges

haha. He is like 12 years old. lol

Man,

Cheers.

Georges

Pwus Wun :3

do you remember my name? :D i have more friends. if you can't find what I'm talking about, just look up surf side.

Jacob? :P

Jacob042426

the scape was redone and is looking better than ever!!! im getting a phone soon so ill have lots of pics!

Archived