Cultivated Reef

Euphyllia's Greenhouse - Highland Jungle

Euphyllia

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so are you going to like grow out the plants then start bad-ass amazonian terrarium? with dart frogs and what not?

Tried it, but I lost major interest in my fish so I gave it up. Just wasn't what I wanted.

Just tested out the "pee apple" idea... :P

The Spanish moss will rot if you don't have circulation, btw whoever posted the purple orchid pic, nice cattleya

so are you going to like grow out the plants then start bad-ass amazonian terrarium? with dart frogs and what not?

Technically it's a vivarium with darts,and a terrarium with only plants

The Spanish moss will rot if you don't have circulation

Oh... That's awkward... Okay, well maybe that's why parts turned brown. I'll just hang them up in a bright room in the window frame. :D

Technically it's a vivarium with darts,and a terrarium with only plants

AKA box of dirt with some moss and strangely colored, touchey, non-mammals.

YAY!

Ewww pee apples!

Let us know if it works, then I can give pee apples to people I don't like! LMFAO

You see the Southpark episode with the shake weight? Talk about funny!

YAY!

Ewww pee apples!

Let us know if it works, then I can give pee apples to people I don't like! LMFAO

You see the Southpark episode with the shake weight? Talk about funny!

I liked the episode on Penn State better. :P

Okay, so I had a few tillndsias sitting in an uncovered fish tank in my yard. It was my frog tank lol. Somehow they survived freezing temperatures and harsh sun. I mounted them and got some fertilizer to spray them and the pitcher plants down with.

I don't have Cable so I have to download them when the season is over but I bet it's hilarious!

Go to the South Park Studios website, I believe www.southparkstudios.com... Completely free, the adds aren't too bad, and they update it the hour the episode comes on.

I do but I like to watch it on the TV. SO I need to transfer a file to the PS3 via USB. Very simple actually just drag and drop.

Then I can just sit on the couch.

Don't have that cable. -_-

Ah, that sucks a common water fowl of North America that suspiciously rhyme with the 'f' word!

I wouldn't spray the tills with fertilizer water because the salts in the fertilizer can (and most likely will) build up. Because the leafs have small scales that open and close with humidity, when sprayed with the water with fertilizer in it the water will get under the scales,evaporate,and leave a salty residue,ultumately leading to the death of the plant due to suffocation,a good fertilizerfor the tills,is,you guessed it,mud. If you have acces to regular old soil from your back yard, a 1 part soil 3 part water mix will suffice,as for the pitchers fertilizer is fine,just don't spray on the leave for partly the same reason,good luck with the GH!!!! it's gonna look good!!!

I moved all of the tillandsias to my bathroom and taped them to the window where they can get excellent circulation! :D

2val9g4.jpg

Did you catch that there were two giant tillandsias? :D

MOUNTED Tillandsia Cyanea (outside for six months in blazing sun and freezing night temperatures)

214un86.jpg

FTS

jjaa7p.jpg

After I get the greenhouse set up, I will repot these guys in hanging baskets and figure out a way to hang them in the greenhouse. :)

The only problem is that the pineapple's roots need to stay warm in the ground to protect them from frost. Plus, I can't really hang a huge bush in the air. The tillandsias are meant to be grown in the air, as they have no root system, hence the common name, "air plant."

Most bromeliaceae absorb most of their water through their leaves. Pineapples and tillandsias are both spceis of bromeliaceae. For this reason, it isn't possible that tillandsias can be grown aeroponically OR hydroponically. Ananas, AKA pineapple, is a species of bromeliaceae that does have a bigger root system and does use them to help pull nutrients. Aeroponics is possible, but not practical, given my little space and small budget.

Nepenthes need growing medium to retain water because they require loads of water. They cannot dry out, otherwise they will die. You're supposed to plant in 50/50 sphagnum/perlite. The perlite is to add drainage so that salts don't build up and kill the sensitive plant. Sphagnum is to retain water.

So thanks, and I'll keep aeroponics in mind for other plants I may get, but it isn't practical for any of the current plants. However, I may try hydroponics of some sort of plant in the guppy barrel! :P

nice! :lol:

Thanks. Hopefully it will be even nicer in the greenhouse once it's set up. :)

Spanish moss will grow 'anchor' roots (as do most tills) but the roots do not absorb nutrients hence the name anchor roots,actually some epiphytic orchids grow 'air roots' whose prime function os to gather organic particles and feel for other surfaces to stick to,the sticking is possible by the coating called velamin, not sticky to the touch,but after 3-10 days it sticks to the surface,once 'stickage' is acheived a genetic copy of the parent plant from a few special cells present in the roots,this baby is called a keiki

Archived