Pod Your Reef

Euphyllia's Greenhouse - Highland Jungle

Euphyllia

You wouldn't think it but you CAN sunburn roots.

They're sitting on the back of the toilet right under a window... Not really sunny. :lol:

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're sitting on the back of the toilet right under a window... Not really sunny. :lol:

Okay so they get to deal with your bodily functions! Poor plants! :P

Okay so they get to deal with your bodily functions! Poor plants! :P

Maybe that's why they're rooting so fast!

... Take that however you want. It sounds like a good pun, but it doesn't really make sense... :unsure:

Actually Mythbusters found there is more fecal bacteria in the kitchen sink then in the bathroom, how that is so IDK. :huh:

Oh, that's a good way to take the pun that actually makes sense, lol. You know, when I was little, sometimes I would pee in my backyard and I noticed the grass would grow darker green and thicker there. Then when dogs peed in my yard, the grass would grow thicker and darker green... So I wonder if I peed in the water, just a TINY bit, if it would help the pineapples root faster and grow better? Pineapples like acidic soil I believe, and pee ranges from 4.6-8.0 pH... I read online that it is more acidic in the morning, so when I wake up, I can dribble a bit in the vase! :D

No one will ever know! :D

Cept you will when you eat your PEE apples!

:unsure:

True, however the plant will just use it as fertilizers. It is beneficial in small amounts. The salts and ammonias and nitrogen and shizz is good for the plants...

The order is being delivered tomorrow! :)

And I just had an idea... Can mangroves grow in freshwater? Or do they need at least brackish water to survive?

Since most freshwater live-bearers, including guppies, can live in saltwater with proper acclimation, they could probably also live in brackish water even easier, with proper acclimation, of course! Good idea? Bad idea? Would mangroves growing in a bucket of guppies surrounded by pineapples and carnivorous plants look weird at all? It's pretty random. :blink:

The order is being delivered tomorrow! :)

And I just had an idea... Can mangroves grow in freshwater? Or do they need at least brackish water to survive?

Since most freshwater live-bearers, including guppies, can live in saltwater with proper acclimation, they could probably also live in brackish water even easier, with proper acclimation, of course! Good idea? Bad idea? Would mangroves growing in a bucket of guppies surrounded by pineapples and carnivorous plants look weird at all? It's pretty random. :blink:

Yes magroves can,and do grow in FW

What orchids are you planing on? The ones you pictured ( phragmepedium and paphiopedalum)

Won't tolerate temps above 90 and only a few highland chinese Paphs can go into the forties and fifties.

Yes magroves can,and do grow in FW

Yay! Then I can add even more to my Hawaii theme! :)

...Although guppies originate in Central America, pitcher plants are mostly from Southeast Asia, mangroves grow in Hawaii and pineapples are native to southern Brazil... :blink:

Yay! Then I can add even more to my Hawaii theme! :)

...Although guppies originate in Central America, pitcher plants are mostly from Southeast Asia, mangroves grow in Hawaii and pineapples are native to southern Brazil... :blink:

It's a multiracial greenhouse!!! What orchids are you planning?

It's a multiracial greenhouse!!! What orchids are you planning?

Hmm... Wasn't really thinking about orchids as of now because I can't find any that I actually like online. I'm in to paphiopedilums, phragmipediums and others orchids with "cups", which mostly grow terrestrially in Asia. They aren't the most popular ones, so they aren't available for sale often. I may have to go to a tropical flower show/sale sometime. I'm in no rush for orchids though. I want to make sure all of my other plants are doing well before I spend too much. :)

:unsure:

True, however the plant will just use it as fertilizers. It is beneficial in small amounts. The salts and ammonias and nitrogen and shizz is good for the plants...

They'll still be Pee apples to me.

Hmm... Wasn't really thinking about orchids as of now because I can't find any that I actually like online. I'm in to paphiopedilums, phragmipediums and others orchids with "cups", which mostly grow terrestrially in Asia. They aren't the most popular ones, so they aren't available for sale often. I may have to go to a tropical flower show/sale sometime. I'm in no rush for orchids though. I want to make sure all of my other plants are doing well before I spend too much. :)

Actually paphs and phrags are ALOT more common than you think they are Carter and holes has a TON of them and some are 10 dollars,if you like the slipper orchids (assuming your in a temperate zone) there are cyprepediums, 'hardy' orchids that can withstand freezing temps,infact one type grows above the arctic circle :o if your winter temps get below 40-50 in the winter,and summer temps above 100 you will not be able to grow them in your greenhouse,MAYBE some phrags,which are native to central America MIGHT be able to grow in the greenhouse,your best bet would to visit raising rarified and order a cyprepedium from them (C.reginae is s good choice) and plant them in a section of your raised beds, I have access to applecratum and cranefly orchids,again a temperate orchid, if you live within the US you could shoot me PM and I could send you a few rhizomes that you could plant in your raised beds,applecratums look like miniature cattleyas, if your interested in tropical orchids,I have a rare Asian ladyslipper(native to only a small island in the philippines) it's Latin name is paphiopedalum exul and I could give you a growth from it,I also have TONS of other rare and interesting tropical orchids I could send your way (examples: Bulbophyllums,cattleyas,various ladyslippers,ect) I also have a few phslienopsis orchids.

Actually paphs and phrags are ALOT more common than you think they are Carter and holes has a TON of them and some are 10 dollars,if you like the slipper orchids (assuming your in a temperate zone) there are cyprepediums, 'hardy' orchids that can withstand freezing temps,infact one type grows above the arctic circle :o if your winter temps get below 40-50 in the winter,and summer temps above 100 you will not be able to grow them in your greenhouse,MAYBE some phrags,which are native to central America MIGHT be able to grow in the greenhouse,your best bet would to visit raising rarified and order a cyprepedium from them (C.reginae is s good choice) and plant them in a section of your raised beds, I have access to applecratum and cranefly orchids,again a temperate orchid, if you live within the US you could shoot me PM and I could send you a few rhizomes that you could plant in your raised beds,applecratums look like miniature cattleyas, if your interested in tropical orchids,I have a rare Asian ladyslipper(native to only a small island in the philippines) it's Latin name is paphiopedalum exul and I could give you a growth from it,I also have TONS of other rare and interesting tropical orchids I could send your way (examples: Bulbophyllums,cattleyas,various ladyslippers,ect) I also have a few phslienopsis orchids.

Thanks so much for the website referral!! Might order from there in the future. I was reading about cyprepediums a few days back and it said some are native to Michigan where it gets pretty cold!! Never knew there were orchids native to the US.

Thanks for the offer, however I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline it for now. I need to make sure that my pitcher plants and pineapples do well before I start adding things like orchids, which are more demanding than pineapples. I'll keep your offer in mind for the future though. Thanks. :)

Didn't really like the paphs on the website, but here's the only two phrags they had, which I really like. These are the two that I've actually always wanted... :wub: Hopefully my other plants will do well, but I'll have to wait a while to make sure they're in prime condition. :tears:

8282F%20Phrag%20Lutz%20Rollke.jpg

Phrag%20warscewiczianum%20

Thanks so much for the website referral!! Might order from there in the future. I was reading about cyprepediums a few days back and it said some are native to Michigan where it gets pretty cold!! Never knew there were orchids native to the US.

Thanks for the offer, however I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline it for now. I need to make sure that my pitcher plants and pineapples do well before I start adding things like orchids, which are more demanding than pineapples. I'll keep your offer in mind for the future though. Thanks. :)

Didn't really like the paphs on the website, but here's the only two phrags they had, which I really like. These are the two that I've actually always wanted... :wub: Hopefully my other plants will do well, but I'll have to wait a while to make sure they're in prime condition. :tears:

8282F%20Phrag%20Lutz%20Rollke.jpg

Phrag%20warscewiczianum%20

Yes,the only contenent orchids aren't native to is antarctica,the most northern most orchid is a cypripedium,can't remember the species,and it rives in northern Alaska where it gets -30 if you live near a wooded area you could probobly find a tipularia discolor,which is the most common orchid in the united states,even though an orchid seed is microscopic and have to have a special fungus to germinate,they are surprisingly adaptive,you should look up andys orchids,they have orchids that look extraterrestrial :eek: they also have interesting tropical plants,if you like ladyslippers look through bulbophyllums,I would suggest mosquito fish,they actually jump out of the water to catch mosquitos! :o oh btw I think youd like phragmepedium bessiae

Stuff came a few days ago. Currently in a makeshift terrarium until I get the greenhouse up. :)

Tillandsia (left); N. ventricosa x talangesis (middle-left); N. truncata (middle-right); Spanish Moss (right)

r76irk.jpg

N. truncata pitcher

iqws42.jpg

wow, you're really serious about this!

cool plants :)

Yeh, but one time during this I was considering getting a puppy instead. :P

Thanks! :D

i better get some fruit

Make sure it's not Pee fruit! :o

Nice plants Euphy, they look good and humid!

OHHHH I am going to get some flowers soon off of the two orchids I have never gotten blooms from! One is this AMAZING purple orchid I got as a clipping and it's been about 3-4 years. So excited!

Here's the mother plant.

392005_10150452234169029_659639028_8576711_1704462673_n.jpg

Those are as big as my hand opened flat!

So essited!

So how are the new planties doing?

Well, there are ups and downs that pretty much equally weigh out. :)

New cup on the N. Truncata - Pasian Highland, however it has started to brown, probably because I had them originally above my toilet in low humidity.

52f05u.jpg

New pups on the N. ventricosa x talagensis, but the bottom three leaves are getting old and falling off, which I suppose is usual. However, on the tip of every leaf is a vine, some longer than others, that will eventually develop a cup at the end!

jzxqr.jpg

Browning on the spanish moss, but only on one half of it. I had been watering a lot to keep the humidity high, but what I didn't realize was that the spanish moss was sitting in a pool of water, all drenched. I dried it out though. It wasl ike $3 so I'll so how it goes, haha.

2eyeviq.jpg

On the tillandsia tricolor, the largest, outermost leaves are beginning to rot at the bottom. The leaves on the inside are fine, so this may be normal. I don't think pulling them off will hurt the plant, but I haven't done so yet. I'm going to try to force this guy to flower! :)

2u72e7t.jpg

Archived