Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Euphyllia's Greenhouse - Highland Jungle

Euphyllia

Here's a sketchup with the hanging baskets. Obviously I won't be getting spider plants because they don't have the cool factor, but it was the most tropical-looking plant in the Google Sketchup 3D Warehouse. As you can see, I hung them on a little metal pole that I ran from one side to the other. :D

6z8y2h.jpg

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seano Hermano

Um, cooooooooooooooooolll. :blush:omgomgomg

Pitcher Plants

(Just an example of the kind of plants I'm interested in. I'm not going to get these for sure, but these pictures are just to give you an idea of what I want...)

west-australian-pitcher-plant-0270.jpg

pitcher-plant.jpg

Misc. Tropical Plants

Tillandsia.ionantha.jpg

...unless I'm absolutely in love with the plant I see and would like to marry it. :)

Get these. Bananna trees are cool too.

I've tried orchids once. I forgot to water it. :mellow: I want a new one.

Can you grow pineapples indoors and then move them to the garden when it is warmer (spring/summer)?

Are you going to be able to stand up in the 6'5" room with the planters hanging in the middle?

Get these.

Are you going to be able to stand up in the 6'5" room with the planters hanging in the middle?

The orchids are super rare to find exactly like that... Not a popular breed. If I could find them, they would be around $100 each, so they're a no-no. I'm more than likely going to get a trader joe's orchid. They're amazingly pretty as well, and may be even prettier to somebody who doesn't have the eye for rarity. :)

I'll probably have to duck... The hanging baskets are made to scale and the 6ft tall person isn't able to stand up. I'll probably have to duck down, but that's chill. :)

The tillandias (the ones in the misc. tropical plants) are available, but not sure of the cost. They are super cheap because they are easy-to-grow, fast-growing plants, but there are some that are far prettier than the one I posted. The ones I posted are just for a general idea of what I want. They aren't like fish where there are a few for each speices... People have hybridized these plants and there are thousands upon thousands of one species of plant in the hobby, so it would be rare to find the exact one you see online.

BTW, the pitcher plants that you listed are all out of stock... So... :P

Fun! Pineapples! Good luck!

It is fun! :D

The fruit will give my body good luck for life in the form of Vitamin C. ;)

Why not go true hydroponic and turn the grow bed you have sketched into a cichlid tank made of wood and sealed to retain water. The cichlids breading may turn into a chance to make some cash, then put the grow bee's above for the hydrophonic growth.

Why not go true hydroponic and turn the grow bed you have sketched into a cichlid tank made of wood and sealed to retain water. The cichlids breading may turn into a chance to make some cash, then put the grow bee's above for the hydrophonic growth.

That's an overly-funky idea, but really cool!

Sounds pretty costly though and would take a LOT of planning and extra work... Then I have to learn about hydroponic growing. I think the water would get really cold in the winter. It can get down to freezing in the winter nights. I don't want to run heating for the water because it's outdoors and I can't deal with a fire. Guppies are extremely cheap, hardy and I know they can withstand these temperatures because I've done it before. Whatever I do, it can't be tacky. I'm setting up the greenhouse for pineapples, not fish. Fish are just a fun extra, and I've been wanting a desktop with guppies for a long time. Maybe this is my chance to get guppies. :)

Guppies rock, talk about nearly impossible to kill!

IKR? I like the ones with giant tails and leopard patterns. :happy:

Take a look through HERE. ;)

Haha, I've kept orchids before. I know how to keep them alive. :P

some inspiration for you

You know I would do that in a heartbeat, but there would be no way to heat it! It would be so costly too. :(

Dimensions of the raised bed (1' high) and planting plans...

24y36t2.jpg

Um... The greenhouse is for PLANTS. :P

I was talking about their forum ;)

Meh...

My teacher has a CA native garden with TONS of grasses and cacti. He has some carnivorous plants to.

IMO this would be great as a plaudarium with hanging plants, some plants in the water, and the banana entrance trees. HTH:) http://toptropicals.com/ <This place has plants

While it would be an awesome walk-in, room-sized paludarium, it was meant for growing pineapples. I'm giving up valuable room by making space for guppies. I'm on a budget, so I can't go all-out and make a rainforest. I'm going to try my best to make it work with such little space. The pineapples will be running into each other anyways, and with banana trees, pitcher plants and orchids in there, it will be difficult to even water them. I think I'll just stick to pineapples for now, and once I get those set up, I can make some room for guppies and other fishies. :)

I'm gonna caulk the polycarbonate panels in so they don't fly out, but it will also keep it insulated better. I like caulking. It makes me feel caulky! :P

oh, so do all green houses have that double wall?

how warm does it get during summer?

What double wall?? :huh:

It should heat up a lot during the summer. Luckily, pineapples are okay in 100F+ temperatures. I can open the four vents on the top to cool it off. I can also dumps lots of cold water all over the ground and mist the plants sehr oft. :D

Archived