Top Shelf Aquatics

DaveG99's 13gal glass box of colored sticks

Daveg99

got some more of the stand done today. got the 3/4" top piece done. I used some veneer iron on wood stripping to make the plywood look like solid wood. That stuff works great!

010f5a2f.jpg

9b632b75.jpg

5af61d68.jpg

Tomorrow Im going to finish adding the veneer edging and then Im going to add a shelf inside the stand and then paint the inside white.

I should have this stand done by Friday hopefully. Need to decide what stain I want to use. I am probably going with a really dark stain.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a little more done on the stand. I installed the pieces of wood for the DJ switches to mount to. I have it installed temporarily here.

4447ea05.jpg

I also painted the inside of the stand white andI plan on doing another coat today when I get home from work. No pictures of the white paint yet but here is the stand pretty much finished on the outside. Just need to stain it.

5dbbbc29.jpg

Im taking everything out of my tank and putting it into a 10 gallon temporarily. That way I can drill the 13 gallon and install the glass holes overflow and plumb everything up. Its easy to transfer a tank when you only have a few pieces of live rock and no sand.

The levelers might be a good idea. My stand is perfectly level but the floor might not be. It might put too much pressure on the areas where the levelers attach to the wood though.

I have an ASM mini-g skimmer from an old tank I used to have but Im not using it. I just found a reef octopus NWB 110 that Im picking up this weekend from a local reefer.

Im so tempted to set up my 32x24x15 rimless I have in my garage. I made this new stand to fit it too. But then I would have to buy new lighting. Plus its a hell of a lot more water. 50 gal vs 13gal.

Got a few things in the mail today. And I picked up a reef octopus nwb110 from a local reefer. He was down sizing and I got this thing after he only had it for 2 months. Its super clean and he even put it all back in the original box. I am going to run two 50watt hydor heaters. Ill have a total of about 28-29 gallons with the 20 gal sump and 13 gal tank. The quiet one 1200 is tiny too. Im used to much bigger pumps.

Hydor 50watt heater

some pipettes

a 50 frag plug bag

reef octopus nwb110

3b2b38d3.jpg

The stand is almost finished. I got the first coat of poly on it now I just need to do some fine sanding and then the final layer of poly. So the stand will be ready by Monday for sure.

I went with black stain and then a poly satin finish.

I plan on moving my livestock into a temporary 10 gallon I have so I can drill the 13 cube and instal the glass holes overflow. and then get my plumbing done.

Got the sump done today. Letting the silicone dry right now. The right side is the skimmer area. The left will have cheato and the little acrylic box with holes in it is the area where my return pump goes. I secluded it in a box because I want to keep the cheato from getting into the pump. I took the picture before putting a couple dabs of silicone on the box with holes to keep it in place.

d3a35e17.jpg

Now I need to transfer the rocks and livestock into a 10 gallon so I can drill my tank and get it plumbed.

Your stand turned out nice. Looks like an Artisan Stand by Cad Lights.

Thanks.thats the look I was going for. Im sure the cadlights stands arent 41" tall though like mine is. I cant stand how short all the company's make their stands. Its like they think everyone is 4 feet tall.

Got the sump done today. Letting the silicone dry right now. The right side is the skimmer area. The left will have cheato and the little acrylic box with holes in it is the area where my return pump goes. I secluded it in a box because I want to keep the cheato from getting into the pump. I took the picture before putting a couple dabs of silicone on the box with holes to keep it in place.

d3a35e17.jpg

Now I need to transfer the rocks and livestock into a 10 gallon so I can drill my tank and get it plumbed.

Dave this sump looks exactly like the one I'm contemplating. But I don't have nearly enough DIY skills. I had heard of a pre cute baffle kit that was sold on ebay but no longer. Do you know of any such items anywhere else?

I'm just aprehensive if custom cut glass baffled at home depot would be a perfect fit. Any suggestions?

Custom cut glass would work but you have to have it just a hair under the width of the tank. Acrylic is not that bad to work with. You just have to have a blade with lots of small teeth and take it slow. Then once you get the cuts done you can sand the sides down to make them fit nicely. And make sure you use silicone I and not II.

Transfer complete. Everything seems to be doing well. Its very easy to transfer tanks when you dont have sand. I'll probably drill and do the plumbing on the 13 gallon tomorrow. And Im going to have to get my buddy to help me bring the stand in from the garage. Its pretty big and heavy.

6568e7a0.jpg

I have the opportunity to get a tank this weekend at 20% off. Our reef tank club meeting is at the builder's facility where I got my 13 gallon. Im thinking of getting a 24"x24"x12". Decisions decisions.

I put the 50 gallon I have on the stand just to see how it looks. Im not going to set it up because I know Im moving in about 10 months or less. Its much easier to move a small tank.

e48c3774.jpg

bpatterson617

Man that is a super sexy rimless cube......

lol :naughtydance:

but in all seriousness I think either would look great! its up to you if you want to go through the hassle of breaking down the 50 or the slightly smaller hassle of breaking down the 13 when you move.

I guess if I had to make a choice I would say the 50 unless you dont have all the equipment for it. You could think of it as being a hell of a lot more water....but you could also think of it as a hell of a lot more room for coral ;)

Either way, keep the pics coming!! :D

Turns out Im selling both! Going to get a 32"x24"x12" rimless built by a local tank builder. Our club is getting 20% off tanks this weekend while we tour their facility. I dont like the overflow in that 50 gallon.

So for now the 10 gallon stays running. The 13 gallon is already sold pending pick up tonight and the 50 gallon should sell quick. I have had that 50 for 2 years sitting bone dry in my garage. Its never seen water.

Probably going to list the glass holes overflow kit for sale that I bought and never used. I have the return too. Im thinking Im going to get the 700gph kit for this tank unless I can think of a better style overflow to use on the new tank.

I have a serious fish tank selling and buying addiction.

I think Im going to just set up the 50 gallon. I got a piece of foam for underneath it and I also got some trim to hide the foam. I need to stain the trim black and then cut it to fit around the tank. Tonight I did some leveling of the stand and its all ready to go. If I just use this tank and not get that new one this weekend then I can order my new lights. Im leaning towards the ATI sunpower 6x24. I originally wanted a sol blue but I dont think its enough spread for this tank and Im not buying two of them.

e180feb2.jpg

the 20 sump fits nicely with plenty of room for a top off container.

2c04dfdf.jpg

The wood here is the trim to cover the foam and a very small portion of the bottom of the tank.

033e01c8.jpg

Archived