SaltCritters.com

DaveG99's 13gal glass box of colored sticks

Daveg99

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont like the hangers that IKEA provides for the light cord. Im going to buy new hangers at home depot to be safe. I cant wait for the new tank to get here so I can put some water in it.

Have you considered mounting a fixture to the wall instead of hanging?

j/w since you don't like the Ikea hanging kit.

Dave, the decision to go to the dual PAR 30s for me was based entirely on coverage in the end. The lamp clamp held the PAR38 BARELY. I can make slight adjustments with the PAR30s on the lamp clamps, but the PAR38 really had only one position where it wouldn't sag down too low. If the PAR38 was mounted higher over the tank you might have better luck on the coverage. With one PAR38 you will be able to selectively place SPS. With 2 PAR 30s I think the intensity of the light is more evenly spread and I feel like I can keep SPS in a larger area of the tank.

Hope that helps! Good luck and make sure you post some pics when it gets wet :D

Tank will be ready Thursday. Im going to pick up some live rock locally today or tomorrow and keep it wet in my 12" cube until I set up the tank this weekend.

Have you considered mounting a fixture to the wall instead of hanging?

j/w since you don't like the Ikea hanging kit.

I like the look of the hanging kit from IKEA but Im not confident in the strength of the screw and plastic wire holders. I will be securing the wire with a better fastener and making sure its placed into a wood 2x4 in the ceiling. Need to get me a stud finder.

I might order another PAR38 if I feel this one isnt enough. We will see once its set up.

Picked up a few pieces of live rock today from a local reefer. I have it in the mr aqua 7.5 gal for now and plan on transferring everything to the 13 gallon tank Friday. I probably wont get much of a cycle since Im using live rock from an established tank. I already saw some little critters crawling around. I have the heater and some filter floss and a bag of purigen in the ac70 right now. The mp10 is WAY to powerful for the 12" cube. I have it dialed way back. Here is a picture of the 12" cube about 45 minutes after adding live rock. I cant wait to pick up the bigger tank.

b1b78274.jpg

You goin' bb on the 13g?

hell yes. Thats why I got a black PVC bottom on the tank. barebottom with a ton of flow and SPS corals.

Im picking up some more live rock from another tank later this week. Trying to get some live rock from several tanks to create bio diversity. Its actually some of my old live rock. This guy in my local reef tank club bought some rock off me around 3 years ago. Now he is selling his tank and Im buying some of the live rock back. Funny how things work out huh?

hell yes. Thats why I got a black PVC bottom on the tank. barebottom with a ton of flow and SPS corals.

Right.

Maybe it's too late for me.

Im picking up some more live rock from another tank later this week. Trying to get some live rock from several tanks to create bio diversity. Its actually some of my old live rock. This guy in my local reef tank club bought some rock off me around 3 years ago. Now he is selling his tank and Im buying some of the live rock back. Funny how things work out huh?

That's a pretty good one.

;)

my girl friend who lives with me is very confused about my tank. she was thinking it was strange that I was staring at rock in a box full of water. :lol: Im trying to edjumacate her about reefing.

my girl friend who lives with me is very confused about my tank. she was thinking it was strange that I was staring at rock in a box full of water. :lol: Im trying to edjumacate her about reefing.

You'll have to get her a Portal.

Show her it's not just rocks.

:D

You'll have to get her a Portal.

Show her it's not just rocks.

:D

Thats pretty cool but not $80 cool. Im slowly explaining things to her. She did see some small snails and thought it was neat. she is asking lots of questions which is good.

Thats pretty cool but not $80 cool. Im slowly explaining things to her. She did see some small snails and thought it was neat. she is asking lots of questions which is good.

It's pricey but getting decent reviews. It's an algae cleaner too! lol

Did you already have the talk about calling things cute and Mr.?

It may be time...

woot!

Detailed pics of PVC bottom requested. Over.

bad news on that. Had a local guy who has a small LFS that he runs out of his house have it built for me. The guy told his builder to make the bottom glass on accident. So the tank had a glass bottom originally. The guy said he was going to change it to PVC but I dont think he did. They attached PVC over the glass and under the glass. Im not sure how it was done but I dont think its an entire PVC bottom. No big deal though because it looks great and should function the same. Plus I got this tank pretty cheap.

It's only about 11" of water volume so it's super shallow. I think it's going to be nice. I could have gone bigger but I wanted a small tank for my kitchen counter that divides the living room. I'll post more pics tomorrow when I fill it with water

Yeah. Im not sure exactly how they did this one but it looks great. I love the black bottom. It should look real good with some bright corals. I need to paint the back black. I might get a black sticker to put on the back instead. Might be able to get one at a sticker shop

Yeah. Im not sure exactly how they did this one but it looks great. I love the black bottom. It should look real good with some bright corals. I need to paint the back black. I might get a black sticker to put on the back instead. Might be able to get one at a sticker shop

Limo tint or another ~100% filtered vinyl film?

I got a large sheet of black vinyl sticker stuff and it was so hard to put on without bubbles. I tried three times and said screw this I'm painting it. So I went to home depot and got some rustoleum black plastic paint. Put two light coats on the back and it's currently drying. Ill be filling it with water in the morning. The paint looks pretty good IMO.

1884de96.jpg

Its 2:30 am and I am wide awake. My girl friend woke up and found 4-5 gallons of water on the kitchen floor. I forgot to turn off my RODI! Doh! Havent even got the tank up and running yet and I flood the place with the RODI. I fell asleep on the couch and the rodi was running. Used about 6 towels to get it dry. Im surprised how well the kitchen held the water though. Hopefully my neighbor underneath didnt get any water down there....lol

Archived