Pod Your Reef

DaveG99's 13gal glass box of colored sticks

Daveg99

I can feel to your pain. I flooded my kitchen floor more than once due to brain malfunction...lol I now set a timer with a loud a$$ beep so it will not happen again....lol

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the oven timer on but slept right through it.

We have water in the new tank! Just got it done. Going to go pick up another piece of liverock off a local reefer and a few crabs and snails. I still need to figure out where to put all the wires. I might just put everything in a plastic container and set it on the floor in the kitchen for now.

front view

fe079333.jpg

living room view

95125dc6.jpg

kitchen view

7aab4a87.jpg

added some more live rock from a local reefer's tank. He gave me 4-5 snails and a couple red monti frags with the rock. One piece has a couple zoas on it too. I also got a emerald crab and a few hermits. I need to raise the light up about 3 inches and I need to center it. Right now its at the position that was best for the 12" cube.

Its really hard ot get a good picture of LED's with an iphone 3Gs.

f1588fb6.jpg

fa43f560.jpg

1473a058.jpg

The tank after raising the light a few inches

fe37bf6d.jpg

My Aquascape

fb1024c0.jpg

I bought a piece of hard wood and painted it white and screwed it into the studs. Then attached a hook to the wood. I would have added wood above the drywall but can't in an apartment. And that's my Jim beam and coke on the counter.

5d1e66c1.jpg

First of all...SWEET TANK! those rocks look really nice, they're gonna be SICK when they're covered in coral.

Second, where did you get that radical overflow for the AC? I'm looking to put an AC110 on my tank, do you think the same overflow you have would work?

Cheers

First of all...SWEET TANK! those rocks look really nice, they're gonna be SICK when they're covered in coral.

Second, where did you get that radical overflow for the AC? I'm looking to put an AC110 on my tank, do you think the same overflow you have would work?

Cheers

I got it from Glazer on this forum. Its very well built. But I currently dont have the overflow on. I did have it on for a bit but took it off. I need to cut the intake tube in order for it to fit. I also am not sure I want the evaporation to take place in the overflow without a ATO system to fill it back up. What Im doing is running the overflow only when I see surface scum.

picked up 5 different SPS corals today for $20 from a local reefer. Got a ORA green birds nest, pink birds nest, a purple monti frag, and two SPS frags I cant remember the names too. I also had a couple red monti frags and 2 polyps of some green zoas. Some pics took with my phone. Still havent got the camera back from Florida.

2a67fda0.jpg

c69cd706.jpg

853de94d.jpg

dd1a6faf.jpg

fb5ea5d1.jpg

bdafa227.jpg

64cfa1da.jpg

609f143b.jpg

Hey look another DFWMAS member. I thought I was the only one. :huh:

I think there are a few on here. You got a build thread for your tank yet?

Picked up a ocellaris clown today. He is the first fish in my tank and my 2 year old daughter is super excited about him. "NEMO" is her fish according to her. Ill probably only add one more tiny goby later on. Cant have my water getting dirty!

Here is the new fish

13e9c48d.jpg

Took a picture from the top too.

e7e70273.jpg

I have the worst luck. My tank has been running for a couple weeks and I have already had red bugs and monti eating nudibranchs. Thankfully my montis arent that impressive to begin with so if they died it would bother me. I think I got the nudi branchs and the red bugs from the same local reefer too. The red bugs are gone for sure and I have picked off a couple nudis off my montis. I took the montis out and looked them over really well and picked off all I could see after dipping them in revive for 10 minutes. I think they are clean but who knows. I have never had this bad of a pest problem and I have been keeping reefs for 7 years. Thankfully this happened while the tank was new and the coral frags are easily removed from the system and treated. Now I have a bunch of corals that are beat up from dipping. Hopefully they heal up and start to thrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I been using a hydrometer to measure my salinity. I dont know why I havent bought a refractometer because I sure as heck know its important. I had a couple sps corals that werent looking good at all and all my parameters were perfect except I couldnt get a true reading with the hydrometer so I figured that was the problem and ordered a refractometer. The hydrometer was reading 1.025 and the actual salinity was 1.029. So my tank has been running a bit high on salinity. Im hoping that was the problem with the sps corals and we will see if they bounce back.

I also have some tiny white snails that seem to try and eat my larger snails. I took my larger snails out of the tank today and physically removed all the tiny little parasitic snails. Im going to do this daily until they are gone.

• 2 weeks later...

The tank has been doing great ever since I got the refractometer. I no longer have a monti in the tank and I will keep it that way for a while until I know the monti eating nudi's are dead. My green birds nest, and my blue echinata and several other SPS corals are doing great and are growing nicely. My zoas are even forming new polyps.

Will be picking up a blue tort and a green slimer frag this week from a local reefer.

I have been thinking of adding a different LED fixture. Maybe a DIY fixture or something. I have also been thinking of adding another fish.

Im adding a sump with a glass-holes nano con dientes overflow kit. Going to be building a custom stand this week. I Want to run a skimmer and move the tank off my counter top. Im going to use a 20H for a sump which will more than double my water volume.

Hey Dave I have a 20 gallon tall that was used as a Sump. I has been just sitting around and I do not have any plans for it. I you want to meet in the Mansfield area I will let you have it. It holds water and need to be cleaned some. If you want it just PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Started the stand yesterday and I think it's coming along pretty good. The front door is removable and held on with magnets. I'm trying to decide on what color stain or paint. I want it to be dark. I also picked up a 20H at petco for $20. I have enough room to use my mr aqua 7.5gal as a top off reservoir. This stand is 32"x24"x41" so it can fit my 50gal later on if I want to use it.

Also got my glass holes nano con dientes kit yesterday. Got two fun dips! thanks glass holes! Now I'm waiting for my quietone 1200 to get here. The 2200 I have is too powerful.

I got a 10 gallon to put my fish and rocks in while I make the transfer sometime this week.

8bc20dad.jpg

a07a53a2.jpg

Still need to put the 3/4" top on

04af5792.jpg

e3b24e45.jpg

Archived