inTank Media Baskets

I am in 9" deep

dmarkham

Ok,

I picked up an old frag tank from another member in my local reef club. The dims are 24" x 24" x 9" deep. The thought is that I will make this in to a shallow nano reef in my bedroom that I am about to finish remodling. The tank in made from acrylic and is drilled. I need to clean it up a little but there are no defects that I can see. The stand will have to be cleaned up and refinished. If it seems like that is not a option then I will trash it and build a new one. The sump is a standard 20 gallon tank that I am not sure if I will be using of not. Here are the current pics of the tank in the storage building.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok,

I picked up an old frag tank from another member in my local reef club. The dims are 24" x 24" x 9" deep. the thought is that I will make this in to a shallow nano reef in my bedroom that I am about to finish remodling. The tank in made from acrylic and is drilled. I need to clean it up a little but there are no defects that I can see. The stand will have to be cleaned up and refinished. If it seems like that is not a option then I will trash it and build a new one. The sump is a standard 20 gallon tank that I am not sure if I will be using of not. Here are the current pics of the tank in the storage building.

That's what he said.

Cool looking setup.

Thanks. It needs some work.

Pics of the overflow and return.

This would look great with some Aqua Illumination lights over it! ;)

I will keep that in mind when i get to the lights. I am leaning hard towards LED.

It is going to be after Xmas before I add water. I still need to rework the stand, buy lights, return pump, power head, skimmer and do something with the sump. Hey Santa do you know what I want for Christmas :o

Ok I am looking at lighting. I am new to the LED lights so I am not a expert. So I am looking for info if anyone has some knowledge on the subject.

This was the light I was looking at for my tank. I was thinking I would only need one hanging close to 2 foot over the tank. With a shallow tank the light requirements are alot less.

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index....p;productId=702

After reading this

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aq...m_Lighting.html

I am wondering if this light will work for my needs.

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index....p;productId=703

I am going with the par38 light so that I can use a nice lamp over the tank. If I will need two bulbs then it would be easy to get another light. I am trying to make up my mind before I start on the stand. At this point I think I will remake a stand to better fit my needs. I would like the sump volume to be same or larger then the display. The thought process is to have as much total water volume as possible.

Pics

"Pics" To be honest, I was afraid to look!

BTW, I have a 10"

Seriously, This could be a very cool set up! Almost like a tidal pool to be viewed from above.

I was worried at the fact it was so shallow. After seeing some pics of other tanks I can not wait. I think I will order the light next weekend. I should be done with the remodeling of the room by next week. I am going to make the new stand at the same time.

I have seen this thread before and never realized it was a fellow DFWMAS member. Are you against hanging the light from the ceiling. IKEA has some nice lighting options. Not sure you would be able to adjust the height of the bulb with that fixture.

No that is a option as well. I will be buying the bulb over the weekend. I should have it next week. I will have to get the tank set up to see what light fixture will work best.

Well this weekend I got the paint and trim for the stand. I also picked up a 3 gallin rubber made container for the ATO. I will be going with a 10 gallon glass tank for the sump and will add chambers after I get a skimmer. I will order lights after the holidays. I have learned this for sure...........

KIDS + XMAS = NO MONEY FOR TANK RIGHT NOW.

Archived