Pod Your Reef

my reef in a bottle X2 experiment (added another one)

new-b-reefer

Opening the jar is your call. Remember it's just an experiment so maybe just leave this jar alone and use what you've observed to create a new one?

One thing I've discovered in my research is the importance of the waste byproducts in these systems. They're one of the primary drivers of the cycle. So while I think it's certainly possible to have too much, I think it's also possible to have to little in these sealed systems.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
new-b-reefer
How's Thumbelina doing?

doing well. only been observing some spaghetti/hair worms cruizing in the sand and on the glass. havent seen the pod in a while but he tends to go missing for days or weeks at a time. :)

new-b-reefer

finally started up my second reef bottle :)

established 03-16-2012

added some more critters:

-about 5 or 6 pods

-stomatella snail

-multiple mini stars

-one of the hitch hiker mini turbo snails

-bristle worm

-a small mushroom coral

-2 small polyps of xenia

-some chaeto

-live sand

-live rock

seeled in the jar

here are a couple pics :)

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

both jars are currently sitting on a window sill that does not recieve direct sunlight. we will see how that works. hoping the little corals i added do ok :)

Glad it's working out!

I've added the new bottle to the showcase, but the old one needs an updated photo before I can mark the new date.

new-b-reefer
Glad it's working out!

I've added the new bottle to the showcase, but the old one needs an updated photo before I can mark the new date.

Ok, will get a new pic asap

1 observation for the new bottle. Some of the pods have already died, kinda odd. And the mushroom seems to not be doing well. Maybe the shroom was a bad idea. Hm, may have to start this new jar over. Keep you all updated.

new-b-reefer

quick update. reef bottles moved away from window sill. some of the chaeto started turning white. jar #2 has a couple worms i have seen alive in it but havent seen living pods. almost seems to have crashed but not sure. will keep updated.

new-b-reefer

update...

reef bottle 2... EPIC FAIL, everything seems to have died, incluging even the bristle worms and those are tough like roaches. all the spaghetti worms, pods, all life seems to be dead. gotta start it over with new everything.

bottle 1... still observing as there was much less life inside. have yet to see the pod in a while but i dont see any corpses lying around so i assume all is well... hopefully

• 2 weeks later...
new-b-reefer
Still am digg'n this thread.

Have you considerd jar #1 for TOTM?

lol, i actually have lol. the sad part is, i dont know how to go about submitting it. i have never submitted for TOTM. how would i do that.

maybe someone will nominate jar #1 ;)

oh and jar #2 i have deemed officially FAIL. been keeping an eye on it and it seems that all bubt the chaeto had died. so that one will be starting over. eventually.

Take a current photo of jar #1 and I'll nominate it. ;)

Also, if you could give me the short list of it's inhabitants I'll add it to the showcase info.

Curious, how are you preparing your sand? Are you washing it first or just throwing it in? What kind of light and flow is it coming from?

Seriously! If that thing is still up and living , by definition its not a joke or a last minute after thought. Its a real accomplishment by a serious reefer! I'll vote for ya!!!

new-b-reefer
Take a current photo of jar #1 and I'll nominate it. ;)

Also, if you could give me the short list of it's inhabitants I'll add it to the showcase info.

Curious, how are you preparing your sand? Are you washing it first or just throwing it in? What kind of light and flow is it coming from?

the sand (for jar #1) i took from my nanocube. its a 28 gallon nanocube cf quad and the return pumps have been swapped for MJ1200's and with the wavemaker running. so that is an idea of the flow it came from, the light is 105watts of 50/50 cf, and the tank is 2yrs and 8 months old. chaeto came from the fuge in the rear (growin in the 1st chamber of the filter media basket.) the critters i just nabbed when i was pruning the little bit of chaeto out, they were crawling on the media basket :) (pods, stars, etc)

and Spirofucci, yes jar 1 is still going. mainly just the chaeto and the other macro on the shell but from time to time i see a worms in the sand and on the glass sometimes. the stars have fadded away and have seem the pod in a while but he tends to go missing for weeks at a time.

i will get a new jar pic tonight :)

new-b-reefer

Here are 2 pics taken about 20 minutes ago :) and thanks for the nomination in advance :)

Still seeing spaghetti/hair worm holes and they change daily :) so there is still life in the microecosystem :)

Still up and running and algae is still growin :)

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

• 1 month later...
randythefishdude

hmm i like this idea i would like to try one myself but with only cheato and a neon green spaggeti worm i have tons of them sounds like this would be a good thing to sell B)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived