Top Shelf Aquatics

my reef in a bottle X2 experiment (added another one)

new-b-reefer

Opae Ula shrimp are nice. you could try a couple but probably nothing less than 1/2 gallon...

this idea is very interesting, but i think those starfish prefer living in a warmer water environment. i agree the chaeto is key, but needs to be thinned out if it overgrows.

tell us how this thing lives, its an interesting concept that I have ended up not trying because i prefer to have my asterinas living in a heated tank lol (I decided on making a reef vase for them.)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool DIY idea/experiment. Most of what we know in this hobby come from dudes like you who wonder "what if" and then do it! Hats off to you..

I actually was wondering about the air at the top. If I remember about those biospheres, they had very little or no "air" in them. I wonder if the gas exchange in there would be harmful or not?

garrettparson

Cool stuff! It would be cool if you kept it going long enough and had a huge population of pods and stars. You could also try what they do with sea monkeys. Just take a miniture turkey baster to it for O2.

Cool stuff! It would be cool if you kept it going long enough and had a huge population of pods and stars. You could also try what they do with sea monkeys. Just take a miniture turkey baster to it for O2.

I think that's what you don't want in a closed system. Remember you're working to maintain a very specific balance. Should the pods/stars become too numerous they will consume all the food faster than it grows. Once the food is gone some of them will die and the water will become polluted, killing the rest :P

hello again, thanks for all the input, kind words, and following along with my little experiment. just a quick update, all is well. chaeto is still green, macro is good, stars and pod are still doin there thing. cruizin around. all is stayin healthy :D (knock on wood) ;)

so far so good

just an idea....you should take a photo every few days to track its progress. (and post them) :D

Glad everyone is still OK

yeah will do. there is no difference in apperance between the start and how it is now really but your right. just for the sake of tracking progress, i will snap a few pics soon :D

One pic a week, would be awesome!

ok i will have a pic up probably tomorrow. charging tha camera, get some better pics than from my phone. maybe some clear pics of the stars :)

I have a self contained ecosphere - I LOVE IT - I hope the balance in the salt water can stay steady .. hope nothing dies off - so far my little shrimpies are kicking 2 years old

Thanks everyone.

No tang yet, gotta find one the right size lol ;) jk obviously

The lightsource is just ambient light in what ever room I have it in at the time lol. Been chilling next to my picotope this whole time. So just using some of the outside glow from the outside of the tank.

I will keep the updates coming :)

Archived