inTank Media Baskets

my reef in a bottle X2 experiment (added another one)

new-b-reefer

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took your jar as an example, and made a 1g jar with similar setup...it's sitting on my kitchen table and thriving so far...

Jamie

Nice, I'm glad to have been of some inspiration :) best of luck. I'm still waiting to see if I have any stars left in mine, they all dissappeared suddenly and then the lone pod emerged.

Hoping to start my next jar soon. Gotta start collecting critters. Time to pick through the fuge on the nanocube ;)

I will be starting one here pretty soon.

In the planning stages still.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=293729

nice, i like how you ar tracking the planning stages also and it sounds like you have a great stock list :)

i have a couple cousins and an aunt that are on the hunt for just the right jar for each of them because they each want me to build them one. once they saw that its a mini saltwater tank that needs no care... they wanted one lol :)

JamieSheffield
nice, i like how you ar tracking the planning stages also and it sounds like you have a great stock list :)

i have a couple cousins and an aunt that are on the hunt for just the right jar for each of them because they each want me to build them one. once they saw that its a mini saltwater tank that needs no care... they wanted one lol :)

I used this one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-1-Gal...g=5336653614-20

Jamie

Question... why specifically glass jars? And if a glass jar, any reason why not a lever sealed canning jar?

31AFSp0pa6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just glass and a rubber seal. All the metal is on the outside.

JamieSheffield
Question... why specifically glass jars? And if a glass jar, any reason why not a lever sealed canning jar?

31AFSp0pa6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just glass and a rubber seal. All the metal is on the outside.

I just liked the look of the all-glass jar better...

Jamie

I just liked the look of the all-glass jar better...

No wrong way to do it, as far as I know, I was just curious if there was a particular reason. I only mention the jars above because they're air tight and won't rust.

I looked for a lever jar like the one above, but I couldn't find one that was the size/shape I wanted and most of them had a bunch of writing embossed on the side which would distort the view.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever find quality optics on a jar, but I did inspect a few different ones to find a jar that had a reasonable amount of distortion.

I guess the first question people need to ask themselves is, airtight or not? You'll almost certainly have greater success with an open air system. After all, I have a refugium with a few pods that I could keep going with next to no input or maintenance, pretty much indefinitely. Put it on a shelf and it could definitely be interesting to inspect from time to time.

An airtight system will undoubtedly be much harder, but it removes a lot of unknown variables from the equation, allowing a group of interested hobbyists to replicate each others parameters, or even work together to form control-groups and experimental groups.

It sure would be interesting to see not only how long some things might last, but also the order in which they eventually fail, then compare our results. If we all use the same jar and keep it sealed, that gives us much greater control and certainty over our variables.

Just a thought. I know I'd be down for at least one jar.

I guess the first question people need to ask themselves is, airtight or not? You'll almost certainly have greater success with an open air system. After all, I have a refugium with a few pods that I could keep going with next to no input or maintenance, pretty much indefinitely. Put it on a shelf and it could definitely be interesting to inspect from time to time.

An airtight system will undoubtedly be much harder, but it removes a lot of unknown variables from the equation, allowing a group of interested hobbyists to replicate each others parameters, or even work together to form control-groups and experimental groups.

It sure would be interesting to see not only how long some things might last, but also the order in which they eventually fail, then compare our results. If we all use the same jar and keep it sealed, that gives us much greater control and certainty over our variables.

Just a thought. I know I'd be down for at least one jar.

That'd be cool and I'd join in... I just don't know how I'd catch any pods lol

I like it because it has a clear viewing area, no raised glass or anything

Very nice. Internal volume calculates to be almost precisely 3g.

I know I'd be happy to use it, but it is acrylic, just so others know.

How's progress?

I've show cased the following photo in the Jarquarium Challenge thread. If you have a more recent photo, PM me and please include the date. Otherwise, what's the date on this one?

IMAG1147.jpg

hello, i will post an up to date photo later this after noon. and thanks, i appreciate the show case ;)

things are doing well. still no sign of the mini stars. so i guess they were the failures however the lone pod is still alive and well.

i have been debating cracking the jar open and adding maybe 2 more pods to help him in getting a small population going but my goal was to never open the jar at all. what are your thoughts? anyone?

this jar was started and sealed on November 16, 2011 and has never been opened since. going on 3 months of being completely care free and selfsustaining.

should i let it alone and see how long the loner pod keeps going?

or

should i bend the rule once, crack open the lid, add in 2 more pods and seal it up again?

Up to you, but I wouldn't open it. The jar is finding a natural balance and may only be able to support one pod. Why force it and why fix it if it isn't broken? Just my take.

Up to you, but I wouldn't open it. The jar is finding a natural balance and may only be able to support one pod. Why force it and why fix it if it isn't broken? Just my take.

thanks for the feedback. i agree. just wondering how long the pod will go. he seems to be the only life in the little jar at the moment. my next jar i will have more pods in it for sure :)

anyone else have any input/opinions? :)

Wow I didn't realize the jar is so tiny! Glad to see it's going well :)

thanks, yup its a tiny little jar. my next one is slilghtly larger, not by much though. the next one is going to be in a strawberry jam jar about the size of a soda can :)

gonna add more pods in that one and maybe a bristle worm if i can hunt one down :)

pods are cool, you should get some tigger pods in there if you dont already, there fun to watch. I just strained a culture I grew and had literally several thousand which went straight in my tank for mandarin food.

Archived