Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

my reef in a bottle X2 experiment (added another one)

new-b-reefer

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I came across this thread, and am fascinated!

I have an enclosed ecosystem that is made up of some tropical plants in a 1 gallon jar on its side...I made it 6 years ago, and it's been sealed ever since...very slow growing, but neat...the maintenance includes dusting once a month... ;)

I want to try setting up a saltwater version similar to the OP's, but maybe using a 1g jar similar to my plant in a jar.

Thanks for the cool reading and pics!

Jamie

woah I would really like to see this! please make a thread for that!

JamieSheffield
woah I would really like to see this! please make a thread for that!

For the 1g jar I'm proposing, will do...as soon as I'm back from Key West I'll set it up and post some pics...what inverts and plants (besides those mentioned in this thread) are best/hardiest for this sort of project?

Jamie

For the 1g jar I'm proposing, will do...as soon as I'm back from Key West I'll set it up and post some pics...what inverts and plants (besides those mentioned in this thread) are best/hardiest for this sort of project?

Jamie

I meant the FW 6 yo one. That sounds incredible! let's see some pics!

JamieSheffield
I meant the FW 6 yo one. That sounds incredible! let's see some pics!

400311_10150491261742697_527557696_8544183_639572464_n.jpg

Here's a pic of the jar after a dusting tonight...the plant inside is leggy, and it seems to have takeover..there used to be some tiny African violets and another type of tropical plant, but they've been overtaken by the now dominant plant...

379812_10150491277767697_527557696_8544277_1267585375_n.jpg

It's so humid and protected in the jar that the plant colony puts out roots in the open air sometimes, in its attempts to spread to find new soil...

378464_10150491277227697_527557696_8544273_1205230218_n.jpg

There are some spots where moss and algae have grown on the soil, and even on the glass, but to date it has not spread over the whole jar, nor has it effected the plants...the jar gets indirect light n my living room, and does not receive extra heat or light ...

There have been a couple of times, especially in the beginning, when thought the jar was going to die and/or become filled with green/grey goo...to date though, it's still working...

I don't think it's likely that I'll be as successful with a saltwater ecosystem jar, but I'm hopeful...

Jamie

Jamie

dont worry, havent forgotten. pic update coming soon. all still going strong :) all the critters are doing well.

no new significant observations to report at this time :)

This is really kool. I think I am going to try this in a large jar.

nice, looking forward to pictures :)

i have a slightly larger jar on the side ready for my next one :)

my some of my cousins want me to make them some since its a no maintinance mini saltwater aquarium ;)

everyone likes starfish :)

i think my next one, i might try adding a micro brittle star, if i can find one lol

the next post should be pics, a full tank shot standing back so we can see the ecosystem as it progresses

its very interesting to track the growth of algae in a closed/non circulated ecosystem. as some of the benthic life begins to die off from not having protein input it will be interesting to see how the alternation of generations works on top of the live rock, if the pods/animals are enough to consume it etc. regular full tank shots will show details in action well

looks great! its progressing nicely we can see from the cell pix

B

and my star population is doing quite well. always cruizing around on the chaeto strands :)

travisman1994

Every time I see this I just want to set one up right at that moment.... Waiting to get time to setup mine...... Hopefully tomorrow. I have like 3 types of starfish in my 20g high. So I am hoping to put one of each type (white microbrittle, white&black microbrittles and astrea star) I also have a bunch of pods in my 20g high so ill put about 3 of them in it. Wish I had bristle worms I would probs put one of them in it as well. I wish I could find the baby snails that I see occasionally, that I got with my chaeto. I would love to put those in it. =D

• 2 weeks later...

update on the reef in a bottle :)

everything still going strong. havent seen the pod in a while, i suspect he didnt make it since he was the lone pod in there, my next one i will put more pods. stars are doing well. i observe about 5 or 6 regularly and the chaeto seems to be grouing in nicely :)

here are a couple pics :D

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

hoping to get my other reef jar up soon to add to my microecosystem family :)

update on the reef in a bottle :)

everything still going strong. havent seen the pod in a while, i suspect he didnt make it since he was the lone pod in there, my next one i will put more pods. stars are doing well. i observe about 5 or 6 regularly and the chaeto seems to be grouing in nicely :)

here are a couple pics :D

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

hoping to get my other reef jar up soon to add to my microecosystem family :)

And the red turf/macro algae on the shell seems to be keeping a slow and steady length. I think it was a good choice for the bottle as it doesn't seem to be over growing. Looks healthy and keeping its size :)

• 4 weeks later...

Nicely done! Put that thing on its own pedestal.

If you eventually have luck with the shrimp, I'm nearly certain to follow in your footsteps. I really like the idea of building one of these out of acrylic for my daughter.

Glad to see it's doing well!

We need MOAR updates though! :P

Quick update/observation, the tables have turned in the microecosystem, all of my stars seemed to have disappeard and the pod I though had perished had emerged, healthy and fast as ever. Chaeto and macro are doing great, jar staying clean and crystal clean. Planning on making another slightly larger jar with more of a pod population, will probably be added to this thread. Watch for it ;)

JamieSheffield

I took your jar as an example, and made a 1g jar with similar setup...it's sitting on my kitchen table and thriving so far...

Jamie

Archived