Coral Vue Hydros

Maeda tells it like it is..

Maeda

Well, not too poor. My plan, though, was to buy the more highly recommended Salifert test kits. I can't afford to pick all those up at once so was hoping for guidance on which would be best right now. Sounds like Alk is first on the list. Maybe I can pick up the Ca one as well.

Do not pick up the salifert kits. The API Kits will be fine. Really. You're much better off with lower resolution tests for lots of different things in this case.

I just got my TDS meter on the mail and made a measurement. My tap water reads 186 and my RO reads 005. Is that ok ? or should it read 0 ?

Also how can I get rid of silicates?

My tank measures 24x24x9 and I have two koralia nano's and the return from the sump. I will add another power head.

Your TDS should read 0. If you don't have a DI section of your filter, it's time to fix that.

As for the silicates, do you have any obvious sources of silicates like using play sand instead of aragonite?

Short of that, thats a much tougher question to answer. I would graduate yourself out of the noob forums and ask around.

In my 24x24x15 I had 2400gph. Screw rules of thumb.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maeda,

I am very interested in symbiotic relationships, but being a beginner, im only aware of the commonly known ones. (ie. clown & anemone / goby & pistol shrimp)

What are some other species combinations that are symbiotic?

Coral and zooxanthellae?

Pom pom crabs?

the gut fauna that live in your stomach?

Barnacles?

There really are tons, but most of them are not for the aquarium. To me, what's more interesting than obvious symbiosis is the way in which organisms of all types/sizes interconnect in a living ecosystem.

Vodka was a joke I have been dosing in my 85 at home for a year now.

I am testing out a name brand biopellets at work on a invert system been three months now and I am getting some nice numbers with only doing a 10%WC a month (350ish gal system) But I agree to new to know for sure if they are useful long term or just another gimmick.

Vodka was a joke I have been dosing in my 85 at home for a year now.

I am testing out a name brand biopellets at work on a invert system been three months now and I am getting some nice numbers with only doing a 10%WC a month (350ish gal system) But I agree to new to know for sure if they are useful long term or just another gimmick.

:mellow: I had to post an answer regardless for all the nubs following along!

Keep me posted. I'm crossing my fingers that biopellets are the carbon dosing magic bullet.

• 2 weeks later...
Yooper Reefer

Great info on here Maeda. What is your opinion on the depth of sand beds? I presently have a 20 lb bag of Arag-Alive in my rsm and am wondering if I should add more.

Maeda hotwings from wingstop or Outback steakhouse for dinner tonight?

Outback is overpriced and mediocre.

Never been to wingstop, but hotwings are always a crappy but still delicious time.

Great info on here Maeda. What is your opinion on the depth of sand beds? I presently have a 20 lb bag of Arag-Alive in my rsm and am wondering if I should add more.

I would add as little as you're comfortable with. Sand is more or less an aesthetic choice.

Maeda,

Could you please explain the things I could do with a phosban reactor?

Or even a link..

I have searched and could not find an idiots guild to phosban reactors.

Thank you.

We went for the Hotwings. Maeda if you were building a custom 150 gallon cube with internal overflow what drain would you do? Herbie with 3 holes for 1 inch bulkheads? Overflow placement?

Meada, why is there an un controllable urge to stick my head in the tank to get a better view of the twin mounds that look like ( * )^( * ) emerging from my frogspawn

Could you please explain the things I could do with a phosban reactor?

You can run any kind of media through it (phosban, carbon, bio pellets, purigen, etc.), or you can convert it into any number of things depending on how heavily you want to mod the reactor. I know that you could make a fish trap, calcium reactor, skimmer waste collector or kalk reactor from one..

I would probably just use it to run from kind of GFO or carbon.

We went for the Hotwings. Maeda if you were building a custom 150 gallon cube with internal overflow what drain would you do? Herbie with 3 holes for 1 inch bulkheads? Overflow placement?

As fewskills said... Herbie minimum, or bean-animal style if you have the room. I would also over size your pipes about 20-50%. Over time gunk will get in the pipes and screw with the tuning of the herbie, and this will help put off an overflow.

Over flow placement is largely dependent on your preference. I like corner overflows myself. I think they're easier to 'scape around. Plus I dig HUGE overflow boxes.

Meada, why is there an un controllable urge to stick my head in the tank to get a better view of the twin mounds that look like ( * )^( * ) emerging from my frogspawn

Get a snorkel and mask. Totally worth it. Ask me how I know.

......Maeda how do you know? And man speakin of snorkling. I can't wait til may next year!. I got a surprise two week vaca planned for my fiance & I's aniverssary to goto austraillia to go sailing & snorkling on the GBR. Lol when I get back I don't think ill ever be able to look at the tank the same again. She's not gonna find out where we're going till we get to the airport lol.

......Maeda how do you know? And man speakin of snorkling. I can't wait til may next year!. I got a surprise two week vaca planned for my fiance & I's aniverssary to goto austraillia to go sailing & snorkling on the GBR. Lol when I get back I don't think ill ever be able to look at the tank the same again. She's not gonna find out where we're going till we get to the airport lol.

I went snorkelling at the great barrier reef twice when I lived in Australia. It was amazing; you are going to love it.

There are all kinds of day trip to the reefs and if you are going to the Whitsundays you can even camp on certain islands. Also, there are week long dive trips where you stay on a huge dive boat.

Remember that if you want to SCUBA dive in Australia you need to pass a medical done by an Australian doctor. When I did mine I paid something like AU$60.

Thanks for the heads up, do you know at all what the medical entails? I mean I'm 24 and she's 21 and we both don't have any medical issues...so I hope its not a problem. And man I think well enjoy it, Brittney's been hooked on my nano since I started it. We went to several aquariums and after we went to disney and saw how cool she thought the tanks were I decided to start reefing. Ah....the things we do for women :P

Thanks for the heads up, do you know at all what the medical entails? I mean I'm 24 and she's 21 and we both don't have any medical issues...so I hope its not a problem. And man I think well enjoy it, Brittney's been hooked on my nano since I started it. We went to several aquariums and after we went to disney and saw how cool she thought the tanks were I decided to start reefing. Ah....the things we do for women :P

When you see yhe doctor ask for a divers medical exam. They check a lot of things. It's a physical without the turn your head a cough part. They will want to know what medications you take, any conditions you have had, if you have had any neurological conditions which have caused you to faint or loose conconsciousness, etc. They also give you a lung capacity and breathing test. You can still snorkel without seeing the doctor, this procedure is only for actual SCUBA diving and you will need to prove you had a dive medical before people will let you dive.

Get one of those Olympus or equivalent underwater cameras when you go. I regret not buying one. If you don't want to buy one, some boats and shops also rent nice high end underwater cameras.

Oh ok cool, and yea I have a waterproof cam and a flip video cam w/ water case good to 1000ft. Thanks for the info cintax

Archived