Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maeda tells it like it is..

Maeda

ApiratenamedJohn
No. Those tank ratings are more or less arbitrary. You can put whatever pump you want on your tank.

Most of my tanks I run at or near 100x total volume and i've had no ill effects that I can see. The sand can be hard to keep down at times but it works.

so for example..

For a 100g tank I would have 10000 gallons per hour of water flow...

now is this for the actual volume after displacement from rocks and sand or is it advertised tank volume?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
now is this for the actual volume after displacement from rocks and sand or is it advertised tank volume?
Usually just advertised tank volume. If you have good, pourous, live rock it actually doesn't displace as much volume as you'd think. I've got maybe 5 gallons worth of rock in my 180.
Garlic

What is the reasoning behind adding garlic to foods in this hobby, garlic is not found in the ocean so..?

Why do some reefers add the garlic regardless of if they have finicky eaters?

Testing

How often should you test the water, assuming everything is running smoothly?

What should routine tests consist of (besides ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, salinity)

Thank you

Garlic... more food as medicine. I don't believe in it. I dunno what to say beyond that..

---------------

Testing should be done at least every other week. You don't need to test for anything but KH, Calcium, and salinity if everything is going well.

Salinity should be checked before and after every waterchange, and sometimes in between. For a smaller tank I would test more often. Get a refractometer, and calibrate it regularly. No if, ands or buts. Just get one.

Nitrate should be tested weekly until you figure out a waterchange regimen that brings it down to 0 ppm.

Phosphate should be tested weekly until you have 0 ppm consistantly.

Magnesium should be tested for if you KH and Calcium numbers seem off (out of balance, won't move, etc.)

Ammonia and nitrITE should be tested for only if you suspect something is really off.

PH is good to know the number but not entirely needed to test for. Most people will 'chase' an ideal ph number if they test, so I recommend not to test. Chasing a ph number WILL crash your tank quick. If you keep up with a nice KH and reasonable calcium level, then the ph will take care of itself.

Another couple things to keep in mind is.. if you dose it, you should test for it. Also, do not dose something unless you can test for it. Get more than one set of test kits for the most important stuff (KH and Calcium) to be compare against.

Like I said, it doesn't really matter that much, but if you must have a number to go on.. I use whatever gallon # i get from taking a LxWxH measurement for volume, and I don't include rocks. It really is better to think about it as add some now, and more later.

Garlic... more food as medicine. I don't believe in it. I dunno what to say beyond that..
I agree, I don't believe that the garlic itself does anything more than entices the fish to eat. I only use it when I feel a fish is being picky and I want to entice it to eat. Some people think it helps get rid of ich, I think getting a fish to eat gets rid of ich. If the garlic is what accomplishes that, so be it.

Garlic oil is supposed to have all sorts of niceness beneficial for immune system (for both, human and fish) attached to it. I've added garlic extract when introducing new fish to tank and to teach finicky eaters to manners. Soaking food in garlic extract makes (IME) fish go after the food more readily.. Then gradually decrease the amount of garlic used and hey presto - all fishes eat all foods.

Garlic oil is supposed to have all sorts of niceness beneficial for immune system (for both, human and fish) attached to it. I've added garlic extract when introducing new fish to tank and to teach finicky eaters to manners. Soaking food in garlic extract makes (IME) fish go after the food more readily.. Then gradually decrease the amount of garlic used and hey presto - all fishes eat all foods.

Like I said.. I don't believe in the whole, food-as-medicine deal for humans or for fish. If it helps fish eat.. great, but i've never had it do any better or worse with finicky eaters.

How much Vodka should I start dosing on a 185gallon mixed reef with full fuge and G3 skimmer?

:mellow: you don't belong in the n00b forum buddy. :P

That being said.

http://www.h2oplusomething.com/index.php?o...g&Itemid=64

check that out. Full disclosure. I don't do the vodka thing anymore. I DO dose MB7 though..

You have to be EXTREMELY diligent with vodka dosing, and nowadays I setup my tanks to run unattended for as long as possible, so I quit the carbon dosing until I can find a way to do it more easily.

crazyfishgirl

What is the best way to get rid of aiptasia without using a peppermint shrimp and more importantly, without harming the rbta that's in my tank. I've only got two aiptasia and am on the fence about removing them because I'm concerned about harming my rbta. Are there any safe methods?

What is the best way to get rid of aiptasia without using a peppermint shrimp and more importantly, without harming the rbta that's in my tank. I've only got two aiptasia and am on the fence about removing them because I'm concerned about harming my rbta. Are there any safe methods?

Why not peppermint shrimp? ... You can try Berghia nudibranch.

crazyfishgirl
Why not peppermint shrimp? ... You can try Berghia nudibranch.

I don't really like shrimp. I thought about the Berghia, but I only have 2 aiptasia and they'd starve to death after they ate those.

I don't really like shrimp. I thought about the Berghia, but I only have 2 aiptasia and they'd starve to death after they ate those.

So once the shrimp does it's thing take it out. Which do you like less, aptasia or shrimp?

You could also consider using a small tube of crazy-glue gel. Pay attention to where the aiptasia retract into and glue liberally all over and around their hole. Once it sets they will be trapped and will die, the glue turns purple and zoila!!!! No aiptasia! Use a small tube because if you use a big container, one drop of water pulled into the container and you will have a block of set glue.

which of the noobs and which lounger do you like the least and why? (2 separate question)

Lounger... there's a whole list, and it comes down to a three letter word.

As far as noobs go, there isn't a specific individual that bothers me (YET). There IS however an archetype that bugs my #### to no end (it's the ones that think that, since they've memorized every reef rule of thumb verbatim, they can't be wrong, ever.. these people don't last long in the hobby thankfully..), which is why im in here trying to answer questions.

I would use kalk paste. Smother the little bastard under the kalk paste and leave it.

They almost always die like this. You MUST turn off your flow when you do this. Turn off the pumps for as long as you can manage so the paste has some time to set, and won't blow around later. If the paste contacts and RBTA the nem would be ok, but it should be avoided.

You should still consider getting pep shrimp. They're like a live food factory for your fish. They will more than likely survive without aiptasia to eat. Mine will eat anything.

Lethal injection IMO.

Concentrated lemon juice, kalkwasser, hydrogen peroxide or one of the commercial products.

The only way to kill aiptasia IMO. I prefer the kalkwasser method. Do exactly as Maeda said. Peppermint shrimp are cool regardless of their pest anemone eating qualities.

Hello Mr. Maeda,

How do you get rid of cyanobacteria? I think I have early stages of it on the left side of my sandbed and some in my sump, my tank is 6 months old by the way. I have a phosphate reactor( been running for a couple of months), macro algae, and I don't overfeed (I feed twice a week). Any tips or tricks on how to get rid of this nasty stuff?

Thank you in advance.

Archived