Top Shelf Aquatics

Yoshii's 55g Makeover » Second Time's the Charm!

yoshii

The four mollies I currently have are all female and shoal together. I want a small group of smaller fish that will hang out in the water column together

It's the same thread?

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok well when I clicked your sig it brought me to your old thread.

Anyways, back to the fish.

Would add the mollies right now but since they're small (and newcomers) I think they'd be chased around quite a lot by the other tank inhabitants.

The Cardinals would most likely fare better but I don't have them and idk when I would be able to get any.

hmmmm

But apparently, Alto told me the mollies get up to 6" in SW :eek:

Yeah, jedimasterben or something like that said that his got up to 6" in SW.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I walked into a LFS with no money and knew I wasn't going to buy anything

I still ended up borrowing money from my friend and bought a super pretty light green with blue tips acro :D

I'll post pics of it tomorrow :)

Oh and I'll be adding the four mollies to this tank, when they get too big I'll feed them to Alto's anglerfish

altolamprologus
Today I walked into a LFS with no money and knew I wasn't going to buy anything

I still ended up borrowing money from my friend and bought a super pretty light green with blue tips acro :D

I'll post pics of it tomorrow :)

You have a really good friend :)
Oh and I'll be adding the four mollies to this tank, when they get too big I'll feed them to Alto's anglerfish

:D

jedimasterben

Your anthias is gorgeous! Or I'm sure he would like me to call him handsome lol.

Makes me miss mine pretty badly, he looked identical to yours. I added a trio of females for him, and it turns out that the dominant female no longer had ladyparts, if you catch my drift, and found him belly up two days later. :(

BUT - "she" is already shifting colors and patterns, so if "she" can withstand the next 11 days of copper treatment and another 60 days of QT, I should have a pretty male and female. I think I should name "her" Bertha. :lol:

You have a really good friend :)

:D

Yeah, she's pretty awesome ;D

Your anthias is gorgeous! Or I'm sure he would like me to call him handsome lol.

Makes me miss mine pretty badly, he looked identical to yours. I added a trio of females for him, and it turns out that the dominant female no longer had ladyparts, if you catch my drift, and found him belly up two days later. :(

BUT - "she" is already shifting colors and patterns, so if "she" can withstand the next 11 days of copper treatment and another 60 days of QT, I should have a pretty male and female. I think I should name "her" Bertha. :lol:

Aw I'm sorry to heard that :( They are such pretty fish!

So you'll have 1 male and 2 females then? Or 1 male and 1 female?

jedimasterben

Oy. I had originally purchased a single male from one LFS. I then asked them to order three (very specifically) juvenile females so that they will not be at maturity and will not have even a slight chance of already turning male. Instead of juvenile lyretail anthias, they instead ordered me three female Bartlett's anthias - "because they're the smallest anthias you can get". I was like that would be great if I didn't already have a male lyretail - he will probably kill these fish if I take them home. "Oh. whoops, forgot you already had a lyretail."

So I call around to the other two LFS I go to in the area, one has them in stock and on sale very often, but they didn't have any, but the other one had gotten some in the week before, so I was told. So I went and picked them up. They were perky and healthy at the store, but two hours later when I got them home, one of the females looked dead in the water, floating at the top of the bag. When I went to take her out, she "woke up" and started swimming again, so I acclimated them like normal and went to sleep. When I got up, that female was dead. I was pretty pissed about that. Then, I was watching the two new ones, and I realized that one female was significantly larger than my male - she was a lighter shade of orange than the other female, and her dorsal fin was as long as the male's was. In my head, "oh ####berries." But I figured I'd watch it and see if I was wrong, I hoped and hoped that she was just a mature female, etc. I wasn't wrong, the next morning the male was dead, torn to shreds by what I assume was the big female, that is now definitely a male, had probably started turning a couple of weeks before I got "her".

So now I'm left with one "male" and one female. The kicker is that when I went to the LFS I got the females from, I told them that one of them basically didn't survive the trip home, and one was actually a male and killed my male, and he said to me "well, #### happens. sorry." No offer to replace the fish after their error, no partial refund, etc. After that, I am never going back there again, after having spent loads of money there.

le sigh.

Once the "female" finishes playing musical genders, I think I am going to get one more female, and I swear, if it turns out to not be female, I'm gonna go bonkers. :lol:

animalmaster6
IMG_5018.jpg

Euphy's Ring of Fire and GBP Zoas

IMG_4947.jpg

Both Scooters are obsessed with inspecting anything new I put in the tank for days

I love those zoas. Also that Scooter Blenny pic made me remember how much I love Scooters. They are so epic :happy:

Where are the Heniochus? :P

Oy. I had originally purchased a single male from one LFS. I then asked them to order three (very specifically) juvenile females so that they will not be at maturity and will not have even a slight chance of already turning male. Instead of juvenile lyretail anthias, they instead ordered me three female Bartlett's anthias - "because they're the smallest anthias you can get". I was like that would be great if I didn't already have a male lyretail - he will probably kill these fish if I take them home. "Oh. whoops, forgot you already had a lyretail."

So I call around to the other two LFS I go to in the area, one has them in stock and on sale very often, but they didn't have any, but the other one had gotten some in the week before, so I was told. So I went and picked them up. They were perky and healthy at the store, but two hours later when I got them home, one of the females looked dead in the water, floating at the top of the bag. When I went to take her out, she "woke up" and started swimming again, so I acclimated them like normal and went to sleep. When I got up, that female was dead. I was pretty pissed about that. Then, I was watching the two new ones, and I realized that one female was significantly larger than my male - she was a lighter shade of orange than the other female, and her dorsal fin was as long as the male's was. In my head, "oh ####berries." But I figured I'd watch it and see if I was wrong, I hoped and hoped that she was just a mature female, etc. I wasn't wrong, the next morning the male was dead, torn to shreds by what I assume was the big female, that is now definitely a male, had probably started turning a couple of weeks before I got "her".

So now I'm left with one "male" and one female. The kicker is that when I went to the LFS I got the females from, I told them that one of them basically didn't survive the trip home, and one was actually a male and killed my male, and he said to me "well, #### happens. sorry." No offer to replace the fish after their error, no partial refund, etc. After that, I am never going back there again, after having spent loads of money there.

le sigh.

Once the "female" finishes playing musical genders, I think I am going to get one more female, and I swear, if it turns out to not be female, I'm gonna go bonkers. :lol:

Wow, that sounds like a mess! :(

The female that killed the male will turn into a male

I love those zoas. Also that Scooter Blenny pic made me remember how much I love Scooters. They are so epic :happy:

Where are the Heniochus? :P

Yes they are so cute! And they always hang around any new stuff on the sandbed for a few days :lol:

Soon I hope, the last one I saw was too big and had ich :( But my new LFS is adding a BUNCH of new tanks and there's going to be walls of fish :D So hopefully I'll get the perfect Schooling Bannerfish soooon!

Also, here's the new acro

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

I'll clean the glass and get a better picture later

jedimasterben
The female that killed the male will turn into a male

She already is in the process, and this was the whole problem. She's started shifting colors a few days ago. I lost the last true female yesterday, I think she may have been struggling with the Cupramine in QT. :(

Your tank is amazing, btw.

She already is in the process, and this was the whole problem. She's started shifting colors a few days ago. I lost the last true female yesterday, I think she may have been struggling with the Cupramine in QT. :(

Your tank is amazing, btw.

I'm so sorry :( The females for some reason are touchier than the males. When my male first came to my LFS, he was with 2 females but they both died at the store

Just let the female turn into a male in QT, then after you could either add two juvi females or just keep the lone male

Thank you :)

Today or tomorrow I'm going to move some stuff off the sandbed and hopefully I'll get a new FTS where everything doesn't look messy

jedimasterben
Just let the female turn into a male in QT, then after you could either add two juvi females or just keep the lone male

That is kinda the plan, to let her turn a bit more and then add another pair of small females, but I hear that they are aggressive during the transition period if there aren't other anthias to "take it out on", so I'm hoping she won't be too angry with the current QT inhabitants, she dwarfs even the largest chromis I have. :/

That is kinda the plan, to let her turn a bit more and then add another pair of small females, but I hear that they are aggressive during the transition period if there aren't other anthias to "take it out on", so I'm hoping she won't be too angry with the current QT inhabitants, she dwarfs even the largest chromis I have. :/

Really? o.0 I don't know...that sounds kinda weird..

Good luck :)

How big is that?

It's about 1.25-1.5" tall

altolamprologus
There's a bunch of Randall's Anthias at my LFS...so pretty :wub: So tempting to kick out my Lyretail and get a harem!

Screw the lyretail, you need randall's! Well, I need randall's, but I can't have them so...you need randall's!

Screw the lyretail, you need randall's! Well, I need randall's, but I can't have them so...you need randall's!

One male is eating pellets and some of the other are eating Actipods :tears:

I just need to keep reminding myself that there's always more that are going to be there

Are the corals that I sold to you doing well? :huh:

Yes they are, thank you :)

Yoshii, you and Alto were right. I just realized why none of my acroporas have any polyp extension while all the seriatoporas and montiporas are fluffly like pillows.

Blasted Yellow Clown Goby! :angry:

Yoshii, you and Alto were right. I just realized why none of my acroporas have any polyp extension while all the seriatoporas and montiporas are fluffly like pillows.

Blasted Yellow Clown Goby! :angry:

:( It's too bad, they are sooo adorable!

I'm actually kinda surprised it left the birdies and montis alone, although mine might have just been an overboard SPS lover :/

IMG_0458.jpg

Here's that FTS

I don't think I'm going to leave all those random SPS pieces on the top of the left island, but I just want to get them off the sand

Archived