ReefCleaners.org

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

Put me #2 I was looking at the at the last swap but they wanted way too much for them.

Awesome frags, glad you got some zippers, their awesome aren't they!

Alright, you're second in line for them. Luckily I traded ochtodes for them so I didn't have to pay crazy prices. And yes, I LOVE the zippers. I almost bought some for $20 a polyp at the LFS when I got the other high end zoas but decided I'd wait. Glad I did and was able to trade some Ring of Fires for them at the swap.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, you're second in line for them. Luckily I traded ochtodes for them so I didn't have to pay crazy prices. And yes, I LOVE the zippers. I almost bought some for $20 a polyp at the LFS when I got the other high end zoas but decided I'd wait. Glad I did and was able to trade some Ring of Fires for them at the swap.

Damn! I paid too much, but they were the first I'd seen, oh well, their awesome.

Which means I should probably upgrade before too long :lol:

Way overdue.

Which means I should probably upgrade before too long :lol:

:D

Damn! I paid too much, but they were the first I'd seen, oh well, their awesome.

More than $20 a polyp? An honestly it really varies a lot by where you're located and what's common around you. Like I noticed at the swap I was at yesterday that with the local reefers, My Clementines are super rare and go for a lot (I'm the only one who had any), but Bam Bams are as common as like radioactive dragon eyes and no one wants to pay for them. I know I've seen Bam Bams sell online for decent amount of money so it just depends on whats common locally. Almost everyone at the swap had Pink Zippers so it was easy to trade for some. And as long as you like them, that's all that matters!

I just finished glueing all my new corals from the swap into their new places in the display tank. I am soooo out of space now. I can't get anything else. I need a bigger tank...

I made everything PO'ed doing the glueing, so no photos tonight. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow or Wednesday evening. Oh, and the lavendar lace duncan is now super happy in its new spot and is open all the way. I'm glad its ok with its new spot because I didn't have anywhere else to put it.

Oh, and in other news, I realize that most of my fish still need names. I've finally come up with a name for the midas. I'm going to call him Tequila because one of my favorite cocktails is a tequila sunrise and his coloring looks just like that drink :D

Ok, so I just realized something awful...I think my giant (nano-sized when I bought them) red brittle stars are eating my fish. :eek: I realized they've gotten insanely huge, but I just like them too much to have thought about getting rid of them. I knew fish eating was a possibility but they'd never been a problem. It dawned on me that they could be an issue a few days ago when I fed the tank and one of the red brittles was close to the YWG/pistol tunnel grabbing for food. The YWG popped out for food and ran into the red brittles leg and the red brittle tried to grab him. The YWG immediately pulled away and went back in his tunnel. I thought it was just an accident, the red brittle will grab anything they touch (like my hands), but I figured a healthy fish could get away like the YWG did.

Well now that I had that thought in my mind, I've been paying attention the last couple times I've fed the tank and the YWG is MIA. Uh oh. Also, I've realized that I haven't seen the purple firefish in a couple weeks. I hadn't thought about it because she's always scarce and I tend to forget about her because she's so shy, but now that I'm paying attention, I realize a couple weeks is a long time to have not seen her. And then to make matter worse when I fed the tank tonight I was paying super close attention to make a fish count and my orange firefish didn't make an appearance. He always comes out to eat. He lives in the center rock under the chalice and one of the red brittles is camped out in that area tonight :eek: I'm freaking out a bit. I wonder if that is where my original midas blenny went.

So yeah, I really love my starfish but I think I need to get them out of the tank ASAP. I posted on the local clubs forum to see if anyone with a bigger tank (and bigger fish) wants to take them. There's a club meeting this Saturday so I could give them to someone then, but that's a while to wait to get them out I think. Also, I don't know that I want to pawn fish eating stars off on anyone. Should I just take them to the LFS? I feel so bad getting rid of them, but I'm not sure what to do with them. Any advice would be helpful.

Oh goodness, I had been waiting for some kind of fiasco since things were going well. Ugh... Looks like I'll have to get them out and get some new fish. I'll just keep my serpent stars which actually stayed tiny.

What an exciting weekend! WTG on the frag swap meet. You made some serious clams and got lots of neat frags. :D

What a bummer to find that one of your favorite creatures is feeding on your fish! :o Sad as it may be, I agree with you that I would rather have fish than a sea star (neat as they are).

Thanks for sharing your pics. I now know that what I thought were pink zippers in my tank are not. IDK what they are now. :lol:

Sorry to hear about the potential fish nappers, I hope you find them a nice home.

Sorry to hear about your star going rogue, hopefully it goes to a good home soon!

Thanks guys. Its really too bad because I really like them. I'm hoping I can find them a home instead of having to take them to the LFS.

What an exciting weekend! WTG on the frag swap meet. You made some serious clams and got lots of neat frags. :D

What a bummer to find that one of your favorite creatures is feeding on your fish! :o Sad as it may be, I agree with you that I would rather have fish than a sea star (neat as they are).

Thanks for sharing your pics. I now know that what I thought were pink zippers in my tank are not. IDK what they are now. :lol:

Yep, it was an exciting weekend and a very successful swap :) I am pretty bummed about the stars, but I guess they're just doing what they do in nature. I can't be too mad at them, but I also hate to keep losing fish I paid for. Hmmm, I wonder what your zoas are. Do they look similar? Maybe a morph?

That's a real bummer about your red brittle stars! I have one and have had no issues at all. Rough luck.

Yeah, I haven't had any issues at all with these guys until recently and they've been in the tank for over a year. They've just gotten WAY too big and I have tiny little fish. I guess it happens. Keep an eye on yours if it gets big.

OMG.....Killer Stars. Sure sounds like they are the perps!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has to be them behind this. If I don't find a home for them by tomorrow evening when I get off work, then they're going to the closest LFS. Maybe he'll give me some store credit for them.

I'm about to take photos :ninja:

Also, I have some more frag sales lines up for this week. I'm thinking with all this extra money I'm making with the frags, I may finally splurge and get myself a Reef Keeper Lite and an ATO for the display tank. I'll definitely be asking your guys' opinions as I try to figure out what to get. I'm thinking just the Reef Keeper Lite, plus an additional set of power outlets, and their ATO float switch system.

Bummer about the stars and your fish! I had to remove a crab today for picking on my brain coral :(

So, not to be a pain, but when do you think you might be able to ship the Devil's Armor? Any word on the CARS yet? :)

Bummer about the stars and your fish! I had to remove a crab today for picking on my brain coral :(

So, not to be a pain, but when do you think you might be able to ship the Devil's Armor? Any word on the CARS yet? :)

Yeah, I'm not happy about it, but I'm not going to dwell on it. I found them a new home with a local reefer in Berkeley who has some fishless tanks they can go in. He used to have an LFS but shut down a couple years ago and now runs a ton of tanks out of his home. I'm glad he has space for them where they won't eat fish.

Oh no! Which crab? The red or green one?

Not a pain at all, I was actually about to bring that up. Brian (who said he had CARs) hasn't answered me now. I just messaged him again. I was trying to wait on those so I could ship them all together. How about I ship out early next week?

Yeah, I'm not happy about it, but I'm not going to dwell on it. I found them a new home with a local reefer in Berkeley who has some fishless tanks they can go in. He used to have an LFS but shut down a couple years ago and now runs a ton of tanks out of his home. I'm glad he has space for them where they won't eat fish.

Oh no! Which crab? The red or green one?

Not a pain at all, I was actually about to bring that up. Brian (who said he had CARs) hasn't answered me now. I just messaged him again. I was trying to wait on those so I could ship them all together. How about I ship out early next week?

I'm definitely ok with waiting to see if he has the CARS available. Early next week works for me. Hopefully you'll hear soon so I can pay you :)

It was my Ruby...the red :(

I'm definitely ok with waiting to see if he has the CARS available. Early next week works for me. Hopefully you'll hear soon so I can pay you :)

It was my Ruby...the red :(

Yeah, I just sent him another message bugging him. I hope he gets back to me soon. I'll keep you posted on when I plan to ship out.

Oh no, not ruby. She was so pretty! What did you end up doing with her?

Damn scary on the stars. Sorry for the losses, I would almost bet the same happened to the blenny as they need bigger holes and the star could in theory get in there.

Good job getting them a new home though.

Yeah, I just sent him another message bugging him. I hope he gets back to me soon. I'll keep you posted on when I plan to ship out.

Oh no, not ruby. She was so pretty! What did you end up doing with her?

I took her to my LFS. There was a man there and he took her. I hope he gives her a good home :)

Damn scary on the stars. Sorry for the losses, I would almost bet the same happened to the blenny as they need bigger holes and the star could in theory get in there.

Good job getting them a new home though.

Yeah they're a bit creepy now that they're huge and now they are FISH EATING MONSTERS :lol: I do think that's where the first midas went since it seems to be the fish that live in the rocks (where the stars hang out) that are vanishing. I'm worried about my current Midas. Hopefully I can take the red brittles to their new home tomorrow. Pray they leave my midas alone during the night.

I took her to my LFS. There was a man there and he took her. I hope he gives her a good home :)

Glad someone took her. Silly crabs attacking your coral. This is why I don't have any mithrax crabs. Too likely to go rogue.

Archived