Pod Your Reef

20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
It's not fair how active blob is...my little fella just sits on the same rock the whole day, he doesn't even lure anymore...lazy git!!

I gotta stop keeping his food in the same tank as him...make him work n do tricks for his meal >:D!!

It's because my guy has a big tank so he has room to move :P Seriously though, I know most people advocate smaller tanks for easier feeding, but my little guy utilizes every inch of his tank and I thoroughly believe bigger tanks are better.

My angler has his routine he does when he's hungry. If he's hungry when I look at the tank, the second he sees me he swims over to me and hovers in the water right in front of my face staring at me. Then when I walk away to grab him some food and his feeding container, he lands on the nearest perch and waits for me to scoop him up and feed him. He's like a little puppy :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RustyRocket

Right that's it...that sounds just way too cute...mine one is going into new tank as soon as its finish cycling!!! That sorta behaviour sounds a little like the begging which a friends dwarf lion does. I guess I'll just have him depend on me for food rather than leaving shrimps in his tank.

They are fine with just live rock and live sand right?? Would they have issues where it's not colourful enough and nothing they can imitate? Cos I dont plan to place anything with him. One last thing, how much flow is too much flow?? Can you give me an actual number like how many turn overs per hour?

altolamprologus
Right that's it...that sounds just way too cute...mine one is going into new tank as soon as its finish cycling!!! That sorta behaviour sounds a little like the begging which a friends dwarf lion does. I guess I'll just have him depend on me for food rather than leaving shrimps in his tank.

They are fine with just live rock and live sand right?? Would they have issues where it's not colourful enough and nothing they can imitate? Cos I dont plan to place anything with him. One last thing, how much flow is too much flow?? Can you give me an actual number like how many turn overs per hour?

He'll be fine with just sand and rock, but the tank will look better with macro algae :)

I'm not sure I can give you an exact number. When I first got my angler (he was about the size of yours) my tank had about 10x turnover per hour and it was quite a bit of flow for him. Now it's 36x turnover per hour and he's ok with it. I just put a new powerhead in though so he's still figuring out where the highest flow spots are. I would shoot for 5-10x turnover to start out with, then slowly increase it as he grows.

Euphyllia
I'm in serious need of berghia nudibranchs right now :(

Awwes, why? Did it come in on anything new? :unsure:

You should post pictures of all your sponges... :rolleyes:

altolamprologus
Awwes, why? Did it come in on anything new? :unsure:

You should post pictures of all your sponges... :rolleyes:

No it started as one or two little guys that I didn't mind a while ago, but with all the filter feeder foods floating around in the water on a daily basis, they're multiplying fast!

I don't have a camera. I'll get pics next time yoshii comes over. It looks awesome though :)

Euphyllia
I don't have a camera. I'll get pics next time yoshii comes over. It looks awesome though :)

Yay! Hopefully it does good. Not well, but good. B)

Did you leave the giant fugly shroom on or evict it from its residence? :lol:

altolamprologus
Yay! Hopefully it does good. Not well, but good. B)

Did you leave the giant fugly shroom on or evict it from its residence? :lol:

I just cut off the piece of rock the sponge was on and gave the shroom to the guy that was in the store when you were there. He's a noob and gets excited over corals like that

altolamprologus
How is little Blob?

Fat and happy! My brother was able to catch like 20 molly babies from his tank so I'l going to start converting some to saltwater to throw in the tank and let him hunt.

Also not so little. The amount of food he's eating in one meal would have lasted him 2 weeks when I first got him.

Euphyllia
Fat and happy! My brother was able to catch like 20 molly babies from his tank so I'l going to start converting some to saltwater to throw in the tank and let him hunt.

Also not so little. The amount of food he's eating in one meal would have lasted him 2 weeks when I first got him.

So he is 14 times as hungry? :huh:

altolamprologus
So he is 14 times as hungry? :huh:

No just a lot bigger! He was maybe 2/3-3/4 of an inch when I got him. Now he's a good 2.5 inches and a lot wider

It worked!

No, it didn't. It just send the message to two people. Didn't make it a group chat, that would have been awesome... So totes awesawes! :o

Blobby has been re-named Blobbosaurus rex. That is all.

Won't you like feel batman if he dies since you named him? You said that's why you named him not. :unsure:

Nag yoshii to take a picture of your new thing! :)

altolamprologus
Won't you like feel batman if he dies since you named him? You said that's why you named him not. :unsure:

Nag yoshii to take a picture of your new thing! :)

I didn't name him, my brother did :lol: Plus he's kinda already been named Blobby for awhile so I think he'll be ok

The tank needs a serious cleaning and re-organizing before I post pics of it. I'm gonna dip all my macros in fenbendadole when I get it to kill all the hydroids and aipatsia. I think I'm gonna get some berghias too.

A little birdie told me you got some fun to touch macros and a pretty red yuma or two today... :rolleyes:

Which tanks they going in? :o

altolamprologus
A little birdie told me you got some fun to touch macros and a pretty red yuma or two today... :rolleyes:

Which tanks they going in? :o

The yumas went in my biocube and have started opening up. The macro algae was caulerpa taxifolia (could have been C. mexicana) and as such is illegal to own, very invasive, and has a high chance of going sexual so I threw it away.

The yumas went in my biocube and have started opening up. The macro algae was caulerpa taxifolia (could have been C. mexicana) and as such is illegal to own, very invasive, and has a high chance of going sexual so I threw it away.

Oh really? Wow, would have never guessed that. You're like one of those good kids like me that is like all, "Oh no, I don't want none of them drugs 'cause they baaaaad I'm a sheep!" but in your case its caulerpa not drugs... :lol:

You should have burned it. If some of those spores get into the ocean... Oh goodness! I no longer blame Obama, I blame ALTO! :P

There's already an outbreak of C. taxifolia in the San Francisco bay I read... And it's covering Florida's waters and the entire Mediterranean too. I dunno.

I got some of the stuff for free a while back from a local reefer, then some more later at a LFS. Nobody told me they were illegal in so many states. After I found out, I threw it away... Not sure where the stuff that popped up in the 29g came from because I had never had any in there. Maybe came from the rock or something? But it was a base rock that had been in there over a year. I have no clue lol. Good thing I got rid of it. :D

Is the large yuma opened up? Are the tares on the foot too bad? :huh:

altolamprologus

It's not so much that it's illegal, it's that it's almost guaranteed to go sexual at some point. And caulerpa going sexual in a skimmerless tank is a death sentence if I'm not there when it happens.

The big yuma is doing fine. The foot didn't seem to be too badly damaged and it should attach soon.

It's not so much that it's illegal, it's that it's almost guaranteed to go sexual at some point. And caulerpa going sexual in a skimmerless tank is a death sentence if I'm not there when it happens.

The big yuma is doing fine. The foot didn't seem to be too badly damaged and it should attach soon.

THAT STUFF WOULD HAVE BEEN DIE SCHEIßE IN A DWARF SEAHORSE TANK. :angry:

Mine went sexual in my BioCube 14... :unsure: BUT THAT JUST MEANS YOU GET MORE EVENTUALLY! :happy:

Yaaaay!! I was worried it might die. Well, that's a pretty good freebie. Once they acclimate to your conditions, it should start putting out babies. :D

altolamprologus

I really like the feathery looking caulerpa and would load up the dwarf tank with the if they weren't such a risk.

Thanks again for the yumas and sponge :)

I really like the feathery looking caulerpa and would load up the dwarf tank with the if they weren't such a risk.

Thanks again for the yumas and sponge :)

Welcomes. But to repay me since they were free, you MUST refer to them by the given names and you MUST post pictures of them every month. :happy:

Archived