inTank Media Baskets

Genj's 115G MH+Radion Combo Custom | 60x22x20 - NEW FishEye Pics 11/26!

Genj

matt frizz

Wow your tank is getting sweet buddy. Those trip pics are also awesome. Can't wait to see this thing in a year.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone. I'm really loving the hobby right now. I finally got my water clarity issues sorted out by adjusting my kalk supply from the ATO water.

anymore sump shots? im sort of confused on how you have it setup from that one pic.

thanks

I'll shoot a picture of the sump and post it tomorrow.

Great pics! The fluorescence the Radions promote is nice, but I still can't quite get used to the color of the light itself. I still prefer the light quality of a good halide.

I also really love the V.I. pics, as well. Someone needs to remind that turtle to eat turtle grass, not manatee grass, lol.

Not sure if you saw, but I utilize 2 Radion lights, and a 250w 20k Metal Halide. The Radions provide the morning ramp up, the Halide kicks on (in addition to the Radions going to 100%) at 11:00, and goes off at 4:30, then the Radions provide the ramp down and a nice moonlight.

I've also improved the Radion by adding a very thin diffuser material on each of the acrylic shields. This helpd blend out the horrible disco ball effect, and left a nice amount shimmer. When the Halide and Radions are at 100% the tank looks amazing. I can't express just how nice it looks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just placed an order for a bunch of ricordea from coralmorphlogic. Also picking up a nice fully encrusted disk of Meteor Shower Cyphastrea from the LFS.

Still looking for a bunch more pods before I get a Mandarin.

Very nice reef, lots of room to grow. Following... :happydance:

Thanks!

I pulled a bunch of frags off the sandbed after a bit of acclimation and mounted them on rocks last night. My vision of this tank is a bit different than what I have seen. Some may not like what I hope to accomplish, but this is going to be an experiment in similar color and texture across a gradient.

Hopefully I won't screw this one up....

• 2 weeks later...
still waiting

Sorry about that, I shot the pictures but forgot to post them. I'm doing some maintenance tonight and will get them for you.

Is there a special name for that blue monti? I want one!!

Montipora Undata

Vivid Aquariums has a good video:

Here is the detailed sump shot. Let me know if you have any other questions.

right click and view the image for a higher resolution.

sump3.jpg

disaster999

thats a pretty complicated sump haha..still trying to figure out where all the pipes goes and what it does.

but thanks for the picture and explanation

The bulk of the piping is for the fresh salt supply from the downstairs room, and the subsequent wastewater drains that allow me to drain the tank directly to the sewer.

Just woke up to a failed Radion light. Called ecotech and I have a replacement on the way. Not happy about the downtime or the fact that I shouldn't be dealing with failures only a few months into use of the light.

Got my replacement light from Ecotech and everything is back up and running.

New stock from Cultivated Reef has arrived.

Now I need a 3 pump dosing device. There is a bubble magus one on BRS, any one have thoughts on that one, or perhaps the profilux?

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled my declining scoly out of the tank, as it was done for. I've decided to wait a for some time before I give any of these a chance again. Something about the way I keep my tank doesn't seem to work for scoly or acan tanks. My acans look terrible, but everything is is doing great.

I have been fighting low Ca (380 at lowest) and Mg (1170 at lowest) with 7.5-8 dKH.

To a degree. I'm not really using it correctly. I've been dropping a few tablespoons of it in my ATO, along with PH buffer. It's a 20 gallon ATO and I think I put about 5 tablespoons in it 2 months ago.

One of the most specific problems is that I've had deliveries of significant amounts of SPS arriving. Here are a few pictures, showing a few of the new items.

fts2.jpg

fts2_detail.jpg

BTW, is chaeto calcerous? If so, that might explain why I'm having a hard time with it as well.

jedimasterben
To a degree. I'm not really using it correctly. I've been dropping a few tablespoons of it in my ATO, along with PH buffer. It's a 20 gallon ATO and I think I put about 5 tablespoons in it 2 months ago.

One of the most specific problems is that I've had deliveries of significant amounts of SPS arriving. Here are a few pictures, showing a few of the new items.

fts2.jpg

fts2_detail.jpg

BTW, is chaeto calcerous? If so, that might explain why I'm having a hard time with it as well.

What is the pH buffer? You never, ever, ever should ever worry about your pH. Taking care of alkalinity will keep pH in check. I would get your kalkwasser figured out and then begin using it. I'd recommend Brightwell brand, as it contains magnesium, as well.

And no, chaeto is not calcareous, though it does kinda feel like it. Chaeto needs medium flow and even lighting (ie, from all sides) to grow properly.

revaltion131

I think halimeda is the only common refugium algae that is calcareous.

Awesome tank, excellent dimensions. I have never been able to keep acans either, so it just seems to be an ailment some of us are born with. :(

What is the pH buffer? You never, ever, ever should ever worry about your pH. Taking care of alkalinity will keep pH in check. I would get your kalkwasser figured out and then begin using it. I'd recommend Brightwell brand, as it contains magnesium, as well.

And no, chaeto is not calcareous, though it does kinda feel like it. Chaeto needs medium flow and even lighting (ie, from all sides) to grow properly.

TLF PH Buffer added only to the ATO. I need to get off my ass and just read up on the proper usage of Kalk. I've been lazy about it because I never really had so much demand as I do now. I knew it was coming, and still didn't really anticipate it and/or am just too damn busy these days.

Thanks for the information on the Chaeto. Since I split it, it's been dying; however, it might also be due to the hermits that I put in the sump. It's got medium flow from a chamber 3 powerhead which puts water back up into the fuge My light isn't from from all sides, just 9 w of warm white LEDs.

I think halimeda is the only common refugium algae that is calcareous.

Awesome tank, excellent dimensions. I have never been able to keep acans either, so it just seems to be an ailment some of us are born with. :(

Thanks for the compliment and the empathy!

Hellfire! Today a turbo knocked off my encrusting Hydnophora and it was close enough to my Setosa that it decided to attack it. I found it coated in the fine filaments that the Hydnophora shot out to attack it.

Anyone care to give me odds on the survival of the Setosa? I guess that it may have been exposed for only a period of time less than 8 hours.

Hellfire! Today a turbo knocked off my encrusting Hydnophora and it was close enough to my Setosa that it decided to attack it. I found it coated in the fine filaments that the Hydnophora shot out to attack it.

Anyone care to give me odds on the survival of the Setosa? I guess that it may have been exposed for only a period of time less than 8 hours.

Good Luck..my experience is Hydnophoras and galaxeas are killers. Your Maxima looks great, hows it doing?

Got my replacement light from Ecotech and everything is back up and running.

New stock from Cultivated Reef has arrived.

Now I need a 3 pump dosing device. There is a bubble magus one on BRS, any one have thoughts on that one, or perhaps the profilux?

I just ordered a bubble magus last night, I'll let you know.

They are both looking good. The mantles are fully extended and look nice and loose. I recently moved the smaller of the two to its own rock as they would have grown into each other. The only question I have is how they usually respond after a decrease in lighting. Being that I turn off the MH at the end of the intense part of the day. The mantle pulls in a bit, but not much. I take it that it believes that it's night and this is normal?

I'm watching the setosa carefully, and I'm ready to frag off the part that wasn't coated in Hydnophora entrails.

They are both looking good. The mantles are fully extended and look nice and loose. I recently moved the smaller of the two to its own rock as they would have grown into each other. The only question I have is how they usually respond after a decrease in lighting. Being that I turn off the MH at the end of the intense part of the day. The mantle pulls in a bit, but not much. I take it that it believes that it's night and this is normal?

Sure, thats a normal and healthy response, and a good idea. That will simulate the dusk/dawn cycle, as opposed to going full blast light to total darkness. Clams are very in tune with moonlight and dawning cycles, and it is the key to getting them to spawn without being induced.

Archived