SaltCritters.com

Dirty Joe's 28 Gallons of Magic

Joe Dirt

1 day short of 3 months. At the time, I almost threw them away when the broke off. I decided to try and glue them to a frag plug and see what happens. It was a great investment IMO.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! To save space, I'm contemplating mounting the monti cap I want on the back wall. Opinions?

I've done it before. It will start to "shelve" out though. It wont grow vertically but it still looks badass. I mounted mine vertically in the biocube to get it to grow like that. you can check out my thread if you want to see it. It isn't fastened to the back plastic but it was puddied onto the rock in the very back, vertically.

That's impressive! They must really love your tank! I accidently broke off a tiny tip on my pink birdsnest. I glued it to the rock. It managed to be stung by my kenya tree until I changed the flow direction. It's white but still has polyps out on it. Hopefully it will take off like yours did! It's been about a month so far. Not much growth at all.

I've done it before. It will start to "shelve" out though. It wont grow vertically but it still looks badass. I mounted mine vertically in the biocube to get it to grow like that. you can check out my thread if you want to see it. It isn't fastened to the back plastic but it was puddied onto the rock in the very back, vertically.

That's kinda the look I'm going for. A little horizontal contrast to all the vertical sticks.

That's impressive! They must really love your tank! I accidently broke off a tiny tip on my pink birdsnest. I glued it to the rock. It managed to be stung by my kenya tree until I changed the flow direction. It's white but still has polyps out on it. Hopefully it will take off like yours did! It's been about a month so far. Not much growth at all.

I am more and more surprised every day at how resilient birdsnest are to water params. My Alk was all FUBAR'd and they thrived through that time period. I understand, now, why people say they are good beginner SPS.

I did put a little cheapy air valve on the end to control the flow. You can see it in the last photo. But the vacuum (no air hole) keeps it pretty slow to be honest. You could tie the tube in a loose knot to accomplish the same thing.

I bought a petco hamster feeder bottle which comes with a 'hanger' thing although I have yet to use it let along hang it. I though it would work out about the same as yours if I put airline tubing on it. The trouble is that the nozzle it has is bigger than the tube but smaller than the next size up tube available. oh well.

The thing with the hamster bottle is that it comes in a dark/smoky color which can pretty much be invisible if you put it close to the tank, not up high.

Got glue makes a good space filler for the size difference. After using my bottle a few times, I found out that the vacuum gets too strong and actually stops the flow. I found that if you crack the bottle cap ever so slightly, it'll allow air to feed back into it without leaking. Sort of reminds me of the office cooler deposit bottle bubbles. Works like a champ this way. An upgraded, more tolerable color would be nice though.

That would do the trick, but I haven't had access to an IV bag since I was in the Marines. I like my little DIY bottle. Kinda ghetto, but effective and simple.

I could hook you up at Henry Mayo. I was the director of the emergency department there just before I moved to Texas.

I could hook you up at Henry Mayo. I was the director of the emergency department there just before I moved to Texas.

You know, my goofy DIY is working pretty darn good. I'm going to stay ghetto for a little while. :lol: Thanks though. I don't miss Henry Mayo though. Last time I was there I got surgery.

Thanks Tenor. I got a great supplier. ;)

So I ran the LA Marathon today. I met my goal and I really couldn't be happier. The weather was very forgiving and the people were great. God bless the volunteers out there. The highlight of my run was the West Hollywood Cheerleaders. I was like :lol:. Sometimes, when you're in pain, you need a little laugh. Oh, and my legs are shot. I feel like a little old man walking around the house. But it was worth the In-n-Out afterwards for sure.

Archived