inTank Media Baskets

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

Made a new discovery in my tank today! Small hitchhiker shrimp. Definitely not a mantis, possibly a pistol? I'm gonna search it out but it was about a half inch long and was greyish brown in colour. I'll let you know if I find a definitive ID. I can't get a pic, its so skittish and hides in a really hard to see spot. This is the first time I've seen it and I have had the tank set up for close to two months! It's exciting that there is still unknown life in there.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well to add on to yesterday's discovery, I baited the hole to get a glimpse of the shrimp (just dropped food right outside the cave) and lo and behold...

I HAVE A PAIR!

I feel confident in IDing them as pistol shrimp, got a pretty good look today. They have the distinctive claw. They are brownish in color. Pretty exciting :) I'll try and snap a pic sometime, but man these guys are SKITTISH.

Go get a piece of glass cut for the top. It is cheaper and works better than those two part ones they sell at the lfs.

Thanks for the tip, I was just planning on making a mesh covering though :)

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunate that you lost the scoly :( it was very nice. about 1.25 cups of salt should bring you up to range. you may need to add less or more depending on how close you need to get to 1.025

Was the brain in a high flow area? I have a scolymia that doesn't like the high flow. She only opens up nice and large when there's low flow.

I'd sell ya this one if you were closer. Looking for a new home as she takes up too much real estate when fully extended.

It wasn't in a high flow area, the koralia points across but the flow is way higher above the sand bed, and the only other flow is the subcurrent surface skimmer, and the locline points upwards towards the front glass, so there is some deflection downwards but not a strong current by any means. I am not sure what went wrong. Nothing else showed any signs of unhappiness. I'll just chalk it up to bad luck I guess.

Finding lots of new feather dusters growing lately, I have some white and brown ones, some tiny red ones, and I just found yesterday some little yellow ones too :) I can't wait to get a move on transferring to a 20L, but I have to get my butt in gear and get rid of the fish that are in the 29 FW tank, as I'm using that stand for the 20L (conveniently, same footprint!) But I just gotta catch those fish and bring them in to the LFS

I don't really know.. at this point I don't really care, I just want to get them into a healthy home! I've really really really neglected my FW tank

When I mix salt I only need 1/2 cup salt per gallon. And your tank looks good. Keep it up!

and you get 1.025 SG?

I always get about 1.022 SG if I mix my IO salt like that. same with IO Reef Crystals that I usually use, but recently bought regular IO salt by accident.

phi delt reefer

r u using a hydrometer or a refractormeter to measure your salinty?

if the later, have you calibrated it recently? They should be done twice a year at bare minimum.

Me? Yes i use a refractometer. I calibrate it every week lol, when I need to do measurements before the water change. I always use either RO water or my FW tank's water to calibrate (no salt used in the FW tank) Obviously both give same baseline of 0.

MY MUSHIE EATING!!!! The green and purple one that is all lonely on the left side... Here is a progression of shots I took

You probably can't see it, but just right of center of the mushie in the curve of his flap there is a New Life Spectrum small pellet that he miraculously caught

P1040150.jpg?t=1314601393

He's reaching his mouth up to grab the pellet...

P1040152.jpg?t=1314601465

He's all curled up, just starting to get his mouth around the pellet...

P1040153.jpg?t=1314601506

Pellet all the way in his mouth, it still is a little enlarged, he's starting to flatten out...

P1040154.jpg?t=1314601558

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! He is almost returned to normal

P1040155.jpg?t=1314601613

So this is basically the coolest thing I've ever seen! I was freaking out watching, my boyfriend looked at me like I was on glue... But that's ok. I described it as reverse pooping!

I just saw this and its so awesome. I just added my first coral to my tank yesterday and I'm already mesmerized. I would have been freaking out too. Looks great! I really like your fuzzy mushrooms. I got one big one that is my favorite in my tank so far. :)

The FW fish are officially moved out, just have to get rid of the tank and such. Ended up getting $23.50 store credit for the fish.

Also, discovered a rock crab in the tank... Is this an immediate threat or danger to anything? He's been in there for 2 months and hasn't hurt anything so far, but I'll try to get him out if he poses a danger.

Thanks for the compliments guys :) And I also use a refractometer, and I just got it within the last month so I calibrated it when I brought it home.

I have some pics :) Figured I should upload some even though there is nothing new.. There has been some growth!

I like this pic cuz it shows Gilbert's iridescent blue on his head :)

P1040163.jpg?t=1317279364

This pic is kinda crappy and blurry but it shows Gilbert poking his head out of his home!

P1040170.jpg?t=1317279498

This is one of my best pic of my radioactive dragon eye zoas, I was pretty happy with how clear it is. It's hard to tell with this frag when new polyps grow because the rock is so weirdly shaped so they kind of hide in the crevices

P1040173.jpg?t=1317279556

Anndddd last but not least.... This pic shows that my frogspawn is splitting! It has had two heads for a while now, and I just noticed today that they seem to be growing into independent heads :) It's hard to see because it isn't as puffy and happy as usual because my subcurrent filter is being a dick and making lots of bubbles

P1040165.jpg?t=1317279654

So still waiting until I have some time to clean out the old FW tank so I can get a move on buying the 20L and getting rock and what not... I'm so busy with school that I don't know when I'll have time! Possibly not until Christmas... Although I'd like it to be sooner, obviously!

Hope you liked the pics :)

Paigee,

Just want to throw out a quick note to let you know I've been lurking around and following your thread and I wanted you to know how much I have enjoyed it. Although I'm not a NooB, I've been out of reefkeeping for about 7 years. Wow, much has changed in those years.

After reading your thread and a few others, I've been inspired to jump back in the hobby and have started a 10 AG nano. It's only been up for a week now but appears to progressing nicely. Diatom bloom started this morning. Yuk, I hate those blooms but know that it is part of the cycling process. I hope to start my own thread on my nano adventure.

Keep up the great thread and BTW you tank looks fantastic. Thanks for inspiring me to return to the hobby although my wallet is not too happy about it. :o

Rob

The Sunshine State

I like this pic cuz it shows Gilbert's iridescent blue on his head :)

P1040163.jpg?t=1317279364

Excellent picture! Tank looks really great =0)

And gupe, I look forward to seeing your tank too.

Thanks all!! And wow Gupe, thanks for the very kind words! Your tank will probably look loads better than mine because I am a total noob :P Haha but look forward to seeing it! Let me know when you get some pics and a thread started and I would love to take a looksie! :D

And Joel, I'm pretty sure I'm going to not use the subcurrent in my 20L.... It's too finicky. It either doesn't surface skim because the water is too high or it somehow sucks in bubbles even if there is an inch of water in the overflow. I can't win :angry: I think I'll just add another small koralia I think

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok sooooo this got abandoned for a few months, got incredibly busy between work and school and moving into our new place.

However, this tank is still chuggin along... I'm ashamed of how long it's been since a water change, but everything still looks good. I plan on doing a good one this coming week. Gilbert is doing swimmingly, I have a big glass anemone that has found a home and isn't bothering anyone so I've let it stay, as well as an unknown crab that also hasn't bothered anyone so he's allowed to stay too.

Nothing to report.. It even still looks the same as the last pics. I literally haven't added or taken out anything!

Archived