Pod Your Reef

bluebastion's Solana 67 XL

bluebastion

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great rock work, awesome light!

I have been eyeing those genesis systems for awhile.

Thank you!

The Genesis is pricey but I will say this... I think since it's such a new type of product in our hobby most people see it as peripheral item and not a necessity. However, I see it as a necessity.

IMO, I think a lot of burn-out in this hobby comes from the maintenance side of things... especially after the new-tank honeymoon phase is over, and there's not much left to add to the tank (nothing new to get excited about). In my mind if I set up an aquarium (especially one of this size) I plan on keeping it years down the road... and knowing this I want to make the experience as enjoyable as possible. Not just when the tank is new- but even when it's full of grown in corals. To me that means less maintenance and less work (carrying around multiple 5 gallon jugs and clean up). This is my investment to not get burned out on this tank and all of the money I've put into it (besides the money spent on the Genesis).

Another point to add.. I would argue most hobbyist go through tank setups like kleenex. This means that pumps, lights, heaters, and even livestock become obsolete. MP10's become not enough flow for your new 90 gallon. Your 150 watt heater isn't powerful enough for your 120 tank.... everything becomes over-sized or undersized for the next setup.... And out of all the items I've purchased for this tank, I know that the Genesis System is perfectly applicable and relevant for the next setup (Even if I am 5 years away from an upgrade). Only minor changes, such as reservoir size and vinyl hose lengths, would change.

In a perfect world where money was no object, I'd tell every hobbyist to get one of these as a necessity.

Just my .02

Genesis Storm came back with a new firmware update.. two features changed that are for the better IMO.

1) When there is a loss of power the STORM unit remembers the ROCv (Auxillary) setting. It used to reset in the "off" position when there was a power loss... I didn't like that because if there was a power flicker/loss and I was not aware, then my Top Off BIN may not refill... and if empty, the STORM would cease to top off the sump.

2) Before the firmware update the STORM would go into a suspend-operations mode if the lowest fail-safe ATO BIN level sensor was activated (at the low point). This means it would not run the ATO pump to prevent the pump from running dry, but this also meant that it would not do anything else like refill the ATO reservoir (turn on the ROCv). Now it will still activate the ROCv and return to its normal function once the lowest fail-safe sensor is back at the floating position.

I also got a sweet deal from a classified ad that landed 3 Aqueon circulation pumps for $50. One of them is a large 1250 GPH pump that I will be using for the Saltwater Reservoir to mix and circulate the water. The others are small and medium capacity circulation pumps and I plan to use the medium for the freshwater reservoir for circulation. Not sure what I'll do with the small one. Put it in the refugium of the sump? Or maybe put it in the dirty water reservoir to keep it from dying prior to drainage?

We'll see how much flow the latter two give.

I also have another package from the Marine Depot 10% Pre-Labor Day sale on the way... unfortunately the more exciting item is on back order and will be shipping out in a few weeks from now. Can't wait...

Ran into something disturbing today as I was trying to get my salinity levels lower.... I was cupping out some water into a pitcher to get the sump ATO level sensor to kick on the ATO pump. It did, but after the float sensor was submerged the water kept flowing out of the ATO tube. I quickly checked in the garage to make sure the pump was in "off" mode on the Genesis STORM(which it was) and found the water to be siphoning through the pump and into the sump. I went back into the house and started forcing air into the tube (using my thumb in a thumping motion) and it finally broke siphon.

After that I did some quick research online to find that I needed to drill holes in my ATO reservoir above the highest water line and point downwards towards the water. This allows air to go into the tube and break the siphon. Should have known better to worry about something like that happening. Good news is that my sump hasn't flooded even though it has had a top off at least a half dozen times without me even worrying.

I drilled two holes to ensure if one seals the other will take up the slack... and that's that.

bluebastion - All your photobucket pics say you have exceeded you account bandwidth.

Delete some photos bub! We all want to see 'em!

bluebastion - All your photobucket pics say you have exceeded you account bandwidth.

Delete some photos bub! We all want to see 'em!

? This can happen? I can see the pics when I look at them? Can anyone else confirm? :)

You have exceeded your bandwidth allowance. Pics don't display. If you update to pro, they will come back. It's only money. :D

Haha I've never had this happen to me before. Apparently you only get 10MB of views (now?) from photobucket. DOH!

And it's back!

If your tank didn't look so good and you didn't have all those neat toys for everyone to look at, you wouldn't have this problem. Ha!

Haha.. it's still a box with water and rocks right now. Can't wait to stock it with some coral and fish! That won't happen until after Oct. unfortunately. So it's more toys for the tank right now! ;)

Looks great wish I had the $$$ and space for that system! Never have to get my hands in the tank except for placing/fragging corals would be dope.

I am hooked, keeping track of this one.

Oh and I like the scape, makes for some awesome swimming space for the fishes and plenty of room for corals. Doesn't look like your blocking off too much light to the bottom with it either, I really like it.

Good luck! But what am I saying you won't need it that system is amazing!n ;)

I like you explanation of the Genesis system being a necessity. I believe it to be one as well.

On larger systems the burden of water change becomes great. My 20L isn't an issue since once a week I do 5g and it's no big deal. The 75g is an hour long affair though.

My next setup will incorporate a ridiculous amount of automation.

Great work...love the documentation still.

Looks great wish I had the $$$ and space for that system!

Thank you.. My 20 gallon I had a few years ago was all I could afford a few years ago. Now that my wife and I have both been blessed with great careers with almost limitless opportunities, I've been able to get back into the hobby, and try to do things right from the get go.

My next setup will incorporate a ridiculous amount of automation.

Great work...love the documentation still.

Doooo eeeett. I'm still taking notes on builds I'm seeing in forums for my next setup years or even a decade down the road. My plan is to be able to enjoy a reef tank without all the maintenance (that I don't enjoy). I still don't mind fragging corals... things like that.

I finished the plumbing on the waste saltwater reservoir... it is now ready to accept a garden hose connection! Getting closer to a reason for a water change.

I also have some packages still on the way or back ordered. Here's a hint of what's coming:

2011-09-08204019.jpg

Got the above from a classified ad for $20 off new. Sweet deal.

Just got some shipments in, one included my test kit:

PH: 8.2

2011-09-10145415.jpg

Ammonia: 0

2011-09-10150512.jpg

Nitrite: 0

2011-09-10151312.jpg

Nitrate: 0

2011-09-10152632.jpg

Looks like I missed my cycle? :)

mmmm... koolaid.

2011-09-10152733.jpg

you used dead rock right? cooked in vinegar. You added something to produce ammonia? otherwise you won't cycle at all

I've had ~15lbs live rock in my sump for awhile to seed the dry rock. I also added fish food yesterday afternoon (also came in the same shipment) but still 0 on all fronts.. and clear water.

Here's my sump with the live rock. I've got copepods all over the place in my display now. Just need some amphipods now...

2011-09-10164452.jpg

btw.. when I say "missed" my cycle. I think it has come and gone before I could get a test kit for the nitrite spike. I've had a few diatom blooms to boot, all has cleared up for the most part.

Won't matter much though since I won't be stocking the tank until late October. However, I'm itching to get a CUC for the tank prior. :)

Evrything looks great. Only thing I would change is that drain line. I would hard plumb that drain to split into 2 filter socks like sump was set up for. You are going to be rinsing that 1 clogged filter sock every few days. Not a big fan of flexible drain tube.

ah ok, nice! I didn't got a huge cycle either and I did almost the same as you. I cooked my rocks because I saw you did it :P haha

Haha.. nice. I read a lot about to cook or not-to-cook dry rock.. and seemed like a lot of people who didn't had phosphate issues. I thought I'd play it safe and cook 'em. Easier to do it right the first time.

Even though my test levels are at 0, I will say my tank now has that salt water tank smell... I don't miss that about the hobby. (It's not the die off smell.. just the regular tank aroma)

Evrything looks great. Only thing I would change is that drain line. I would hard plumb that drain to split into 2 filter socks like sump was set up for. You are going to be rinsing that 1 clogged filter sock every few days. Not a big fan of flexible drain tube.

Thanks. Maybe one day I'll change it over to rigid pvc. I'm not much of a plumber and the plumbing that came with this was already glued together to the bulkheads. Just using the stock plumbing items really. I agree though, PVC would be a better alternative. Especially the shmexy black/gray plumbing you can buy at BRS.

Archived