Cultivated Reef

Sarah's 29

saraswati

ry05coupe

Noone said you couldn't put it in your tank lol. We just like making fun. If you bought a kia I would make fun of you for that too. Doesn't mean you cant do it son!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you bought a kia I would make fun of you for that too. Doesn't mean you cant do it son!

Haha perfect analogy.

But seriously...at least show us these cheap FW fishes you have in your reef.

saraswati

I actually cant find the charger for my camera :-(

They're dalmatians. They're actually pretty cute. They like to swim with the clowns. No idea if they're eating algae though :mellow:

Are they at least Sailfins?

Holy crap, someone lives in Richmond?

saraswati
Don't get too excited we used to work together

Oh hai, david. Still excited. Although I forgot about Shane, I think he lives in Richmond. But maybe he's only on KY reef.

• 2 months later...

Well, all I have to say is... ####.

Monday was probably the hottest day all summer, and my roommate and I are cheap and had our air conditioning off. I figured all would be fine and she would turn it back on when she got home because it was HOT AS BALLS. Nope. She sure didn't. She had also unplugged the fan to my light without me noticing. Catastrophe. So far, my frogspawn (which the clowns had JUST learned to host) totally dissolved. My birdsnest, which had also been doing surprisingly well given how much I've been ignoring the tank is bleached all to hell. Ryan says it will probably come back, but it looks like hell. Then, this morning, I noticed that my cleaner shrimp wasn't out. :( RIP little guy. My clown goby is also being completely retarded and not eating a lot (he was actually the first thing I noticed going wrong, but hasn't croaked it yet.) Hopefully it's just because it was hella hot, and he'll get back in the swing of things. Needless to say, the air is back on, the tank temp is at 80 now. Hopefully nothing else dies. Other than that, I really have been ignoring the poor thing. I've just been super busy and don't really have the money to spend on anything fun for it. Hair algae is still there, but is starting to recede (hey! maybe the heat did something good!) Snails also laid eggs all over my front glass, and I've been too excited about MORE SNAILS to scrape it, so it's got a huge patch of algae right in front. Sigh... I'll get back on it, I swear.

.... wow! C'mon now you shoulda known better than to turn the AC off!!!! You need to do multiple water changes now. All that stuff dying may create more stuff dying via ammonia.

.... wow! C'mon now you shoulda known better than to turn the AC off!!!! You need to do multiple water changes now. All that stuff dying may create more stuff dying via ammonia.

So Ryan emphatically reminded me this morning. That will probably happen tomorrow, as I won't be home until like 2 am tonight, and I spent the whole morning at the doctor's. Also, goby finally kicked it.

Rawr. I want a new tank. Not as tall, with more width. Suggestions?

Also, shrimp died. Fml. I still can't get over that.

ThePhilosopher

Nice tank. Sorry to hear about your recent losses. Screw summer, am I right?

You can always try and go for a custom built tank unless you're looking for an AIO.

If you're really having trouble with the heat, you may want to consider a series of fans and an ATO to prevent your salinity from skyrocketing.

Nice tank. Sorry to hear about your recent losses. Screw summer, am I right?

You can always try and go for a custom built tank unless you're looking for an AIO.

If you're really having trouble with the heat, you may want to consider a series of fans and an ATO to prevent your salinity from skyrocketing.

Custom would be nice, but I also want cheap.

The heat wouldn't have been a problem if we weren't being cheap (always) and had actually turned the air on. It was also one of the hottest days all summer. ATO will totally happen. Hopefully soon.

You can have my rimless 15 when I tear it down.

Perfect.

Kinda small though. I want more floor space! I do want rimless though. And shallower than the 29.

well then you are talking about a custom tank which you'll never afford cheap ass!

Though the 15 is a 29 cut in half. Same footprint just half the height.

Kinda small though. I want more floor space! I do want rimless though. And shallower than the 29.

I honestly don't think you will find a ~30 gallon rimless tank with "cool" dimensions for very cheep. The Mr. Aqua is the closest you are going to get unless you find a hell of a deal on a used one. The 30 breeder isn't rimless but it will give you quiet a bit of "floor space" :D.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'll probably just keep the 29 because I am a totally stingy #####. Can't lie!

In other news, PICTURES!

I actually broke down and finally scraped my glass. I shudder to think of all the innocent little snails that were killed... But enough is enough! They can just start laying eggs on my rocks darn it!

While I was in there scraping away, I got really pissed about not being able to reach everywhere and so GODZILLA ATTACKED. I ripped out a bunch of "filler" rock, and totally re-did my scape to be almost ALL off the walls (tiny bit still leans on the back wall, but I can reach all the way around it.

FTS!

2a9ea25d.jpg

Right side

5ced9bdd.jpg

Those orange rics are bleaching a little which irritates me. No idea why. Although roommate set the air on 83 again...

Left side

9712745e.jpg

Qwab has a favorite spot. He's abandoned the rics forever!

593c900a.jpg

Trumpets have three distinct heads now :-), and an owie where they bumped the rock :-(

9a155ce1.jpg

Duncans have 7 heads now! They're going crazy. Ignore the algae. Gah.

a5687b96.jpg

I bought this favia forever ago for like $5 or something ridiculous. It's getting a really neat band of electric green now!

6f803be4.jpg

And my new plate baby! I love it!!

76f04cc7.jpg

All in all, minus the ever-present algae and my fickle rics, everything seems to be doing ok! I like the scape a lot too. Seems a lot more open, and yet more filled with stuff!

What the #### are my clowns doing? Video starts with Qwab hanging upside down,but then some crazy clown action.

I can't figure out how to embed this on my phone, and ryan's birthday cupcakes are baking, so I'm going to call it quits and direct linkHere

Archived