Cultivated Reef

GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)

TinyGiant

Nice BC build!

Here is a pretty accurate pic of color under the 2:1 bulbs.

2uqknkx.jpg

It looks blue like in the pic, but the funny thing is the light that spills out of the tank has a distinct actinic/purple color...but you cant see that in the tank. Weird?

PaulTurner911

I made one of these with 10 lights in a 40 inch boxed channel for actinic suppliment. I went with the LUCKY 3x1w and 60deg optics, thing is SWEET. I have now moved to a 6ft tank and built a PCB fixture with sunrise sunset. Id like to sell my 4ft for cheap. PM me if interested.

I have ordered some gu10's, and I only have one question. Is it okay to use an extension type cord to wire the sockets, or do I need a power supply like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Power-Suppply-Driver-Transformer/dp/B0034GUEY4/ref=pd_sim_hi_33

Thanks!

-edit- so I see the bulbs require 85-265V, so I assume I can plug em straight into the wall.

Yes, these GU10 bulbs have drivers built into the base so you can wire it straight to an extension cord, just make sure the current pull from the bulbs, however many you wire in parallel, does not exceed the rating on the cord you use.

Don't have a recent FTS, but I do have a few pics of my individual corals.

7a650651-311f-49fc-aed9-27ed33f850b6_zps

Fungia at the bottom of my tank.

2013-02-01200900_zps0d5f59d9.jpg

M. digitata (grows a good 3/4 inch a month). It gets fragged regularly for my local reef club members.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

bulbs are either white or blue.. some of the venders will give you the option (contact them) on doing bulbs with two blue and one white led.

seems people eiher like the 50/50 look (alternating row of blue and white gu10s) or going with a 2x1 blue to white with wider optics.

but options are cool white 6500-7k color and blue 460nm

I want to buy some different optics (60/90 degree). Who do you buy them from?

How much are you looking for? I have a good amount of 60degree optics that I never used. Just pay for shipping which should be less than $2 to ship. Let me know.

Don't have a recent FTS, but I do have a few pics of my individual corals.

2013-02-01200900_zps0d5f59d9.jpg

M. digitata (grows a good 3/4 inch a month). It gets fragged regularly for my local reef club members.

That's the best looking "German blue" digitata that I've seen uner LED's. Good job!

(And this is photographic proof that I've been eagerly waiting to see. Thanks!)

BTW, I was never able to get that blue florescence to photograph worth a fig....anything special you did in your photo to bring it out or make sure it was captured?

Thanks!

-Matt

Forgot to ask what your config is like? Are you running a set of standard blue bulbs with white bulbs, or...? Actually can you give all the details of your setup? Tank size, height of lights off of water and anything else you want to share would be cool! :)

Thanks!

-Matt

How much are you looking for? I have a good amount of 60degree optics that I never used. Just pay for shipping which should be less than $2 to ship. Let me know.

Chino,

I'm looking for at least 30 optics. I'm working on another light setup.

• Like 1

When you say "at least 30º" are you talking about spread or magnification?

30º is default from any of the LED makers I'm familiar with. There should be no need to make a special request or special buy for those. 30º should be about perfect for mounting 12" off the water surface.

If you ask at the time of ordering almost all vendors will substitute the lenses you want (60º, 90º most likely) in place of the 30º's upon request - send a message to the seller first.

Do you have the bulbs already and you only need to retrofit new lenses? If so, how many bulbs/how many lenses are you looking at a need for?

-Matt

I already have the bulbs. I'm just looking for the optics (60 degree). I have 10 bulbs with 3 led's in each so I'll need 30 of the optics. I have the 2 blue and 1 cool white bulbs and I want to spread the light a little more.

• Like 1

Im working on setting up a larger prop/frag tank. Im thinking 48x24x12 if i can fit it. Since most of the stuff i get into the frag tank is gone within a week or two, light intensity is not really important. But being able to take good photos of stuff in it is.

For this reason im thinking of using the GU10 bulbs (all royal blue), with 2 or 3 48" t5s like a ATI coral plus, and two daylight bulbs. When i get a chance later ill upload a rough schematic of the bulb layout.

That's the best looking "German blue" digitata that I've seen uner LED's. Good job!

(And this is photographic proof that I've been eagerly waiting to see. Thanks!)

BTW, I was never able to get that blue florescence to photograph worth a fig....anything special you did in your photo to bring it out or make sure it was captured?

Thanks!

-Matt

Not really anything special. Just played around with the white balance on my camera until it looked good and used manual focus because I really don't have a proper macro lens. Think these were take somewhere between 11 and 13k on the white balance.

As for setup, this is a 10g with 7 of the 2 blue 1 cool white bulbs 6 inches off the water (should be 8 but I broke one changing the optics). A remora nano hob skimmer, a small hob filter with chemical pure elite, and a koralia 235 on a hydor controller for some more turbulent flow. Actually had to start dosing between water changes because then corals are sucking up the calcium and the m digi was looking a little thin in places. Thankfully I won a set of red sea reef foundation at our last reef club meet, and that will last practically forever in dosing this little tank.

Not really anything special. Just played around with the white balance on my camera until it looked good and used manual focus because I really don't have a proper macro lens. Think these were take somewhere between 11 and 13k on the white balance.

As for setup, this is a 10g with 7 of the 2 blue 1 cool white bulbs 6 inches off the water (should be 8 but I broke one changing the optics). A remora nano hob skimmer, a small hob filter with chemical pure elite, and a koralia 235 on a hydor controller for some more turbulent flow. Actually had to start dosing between water changes because then corals are sucking up the calcium and the m digi was looking a little thin in places. Thankfully I won a set of red sea reef foundation at our last reef club meet, and that will last practically forever in dosing this little tank.

It shows that you've been doing well keeping after your alk levels! :)

I think the broken bulb won't matter as much with your 2B:1W bulbs as it can't alter what color you have on the ends like it could if you were using 1-color bulbs, which can lead to the ends of the tank appearing dark. Otherwise you just have a little less coverage end-to-end...no big deal I'm guessing, especially if you're using 60º or 90º optics?

-Matt

Chino,

I'm looking for at least 30 optics. I'm working on another light setup.

I have exactly 42 60 degree optics that I purchased off ebay from luckzd which are unused. I can ship you 30 or more up to 42 for $2. I believe I paid around $20 for 48 60 degree optics. Just cover the shipping cost of $2 and I i'll take care of it. PM me if you're interested.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

in the next couple months i am going to upgrade my frag system.. thinking of going from one 33L to a total of three 33Longs.. with a central sump.

I will be doing the whole system with Gu10s.

Something I have noticed with my Gu10 frag tank since its been setup about 6 weeks. My sps loves the GU10 light. I have both pieces in a somewhat shaded place, and both have great color/PE and the monti cap looks the best its looked in 4 months.

Makes me wonder if im over lighting my main tank, as the position these corals are in is over 50% shade (guessing obviously) and they look much better than they did on the sand bed under T5's.

sandcruiser

hey all, since switching to gu10 lights, my frogspawn looks like crap and is mostly retracted

this is in a 10g tank, the frogspawn has been with me for almost 3 years and grown from 2 heads to 11 heads

it was huge directly below a 13w PC light

the gu10 lights are on eggcrate, right over the water (maybe an inch away, ish)

the frogspawn was only about 3 inches down from the surface (where it has been for 2 years)

too bright, maybe? I know that this is as much a livestock as lighting question, but I'm looking for other gu10 users to chime in.

fwiw: I've got a duncan on the sand (about 10inches from the lights) it is doing great. and a candycane that is about 2 inches below the frogspawn, also doing great. and a chalice that is also on the sand, doing well.

my mushrooms seem to have mostly shriveled up to not-much

3 ricordia aren't doing well (alive, but not looking very inflated)

I had 7 of the 3x1w gu10 with a 4:3 ratio of B:W

one died and I took one out, so now I'm at 3 blue and 2 white,

I've raised the eggcrate up an inch and moved the frogspawn down 2 inches... I'd welcome thoughts....

Sandcruiser:

If you look at the first post it details setting up a GU10 system. You'll see that the lights are kept 12" from the water surface. This is due to the geometry of the standard (30°) lenses, not just aesthetics, so unless you've customized the lenses that's you're fix: raise the lights to the proper height.

Hope this helps!

-Matt