Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

29 gallons of awesome

altolamprologus

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
So someone told me that you keep sps under stock biocube lights. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=303601 just was wondering if that was true? If so what species, and what placement thanks!

Yes that is true. If you look at the pics of the first page you can see they are pretty high up on the rocks. As for species, I have Seriatopora guttatus, Seriatopora hystrix, Montipora digitata, Montipora spongodes, Montipora capricornis, and Montipora aequituberculata. Pretty much any coral of the genera Montipora or Seriatopora can be kept under biocube stock lights. I believe Pocillopora species can be kept too, but I have yet to try it myself.

Wow you're good. I'm getting two of them today :D My quarantine is up and ready to go for these babies!

They are so cute but also jerks, the barnacle blenny at my LFS attacks everything, even pistol shrimp. Nobody has bought him in over 3 months.

altolamprologus
They are so cute but also jerks, the barnacle blenny at my LFS attacks everything, even pistol shrimp. Nobody has bought him in over 3 months.

I'm giving them their own little section with a bunch of dry barnacles so hopefully they'll play nice.

altolamprologus
how do you take care of your flame scallop? what food?

I feed it live phytoplankton as many times a day as I can manage. I go through about $40 worth of phyto a month feeding it and the feather dusters. Once or twice a day I turn off the return and turn the mp10 onto feeding mode then pour in enough phyto to cloud the water a milky green color. It takes about an hour to be eaten up then I turn the pumps back on.Then in between those mass feedings, I dump phyto into the back chambers so it slowly gets pumped into the display over the next half hour. I try to do that 4-5 times a day. He's in a spot that gets very good flow so all the phyto gets pushed right into him. Let me tell you it's a pain to feed the tank that much phyto. I highly advise against getting one, and honestly they shouldn't even be collected.

Jacob042426

well, i impulsly found one in my backyard and put it in my tank. it was extremely dumb, and now i cant put it back because it was exposed to my tank and could carry diseases with it. ill move it to my 40b because i dont want to crash my 3 gallon with phyto.

altolamprologus
well, i impulsly found one in my backyard and put it in my tank. it was extremely dumb, and now i cant put it back because it was exposed to my tank and could carry diseases with it. ill move it to my 40b because i dont want to crash my 3 gallon with phyto.

Trust me, you need to re-home it. Give it to someone with a dedicated NPS tank. You will either go homeless with the amount of phyto you have to buy or you'll kill it by not feeding it enough. The untrained eye can't tell if it's starving until the day it dies.

I feed it live phytoplankton as many times a day as I can manage. I go through about $40 worth of phyto a month feeding it and the feather dusters. Once or twice a day I turn off the return and turn the mp10 onto feeding mode then pour in enough phyto to cloud the water a milky green color. It takes about an hour to be eaten up then I turn the pumps back on.Then in between those mass feedings, I dump phyto into the back chambers so it slowly gets pumped into the display over the next half hour. I try to do that 4-5 times a day. He's in a spot that gets very good flow so all the phyto gets pushed right into him. Let me tell you it's a pain to feed the tank that much phyto. I highly advise against getting one, and honestly they shouldn't even be collected.

How do you get anything else done with that feeding schedule?

Jacob042426
Trust me, you need to re-home it. Give it to someone with a dedicated NPS tank. You will either go homeless with the amount of phyto you have to buy or you'll kill it by not feeding it enough. The untrained eye can't tell if it's starving until the day it dies.

do you want it?

do you want it?

You mean the illegally collected scallop?

I think one could be bought for much less than shipping would be.

altolamprologus
How do you get anything else done with that feeding schedule?

Lol well I don't just sit there and watch the tank during the hour long feedings. I just turn off the pumps and walk away to go do something else. As for the feedings that I don't turn the pumps off, I just dump in some phyto whenever I'm home, like in between errands, before and after work, after school, etc. It's not as crazy as it sounds.

do you want it?

I wish I could take it, but I can't. Eupjhy is right, overnight shipping would be $40-50 plus that's an extra $40 a month for phyto. I just don't have that kind of money.

Pretty sick tank

Thanks bro, I like to think the work I put into it shows.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks :) I really need to take new pics so you guys can see the new corals

The fireworm was in a tank at work, not in my tank. I think we got it out with a stick :lol:

Lol I pulled a HUGE fireworm out of the main display reef at my old job and we had a new guy who was just the most annoying S.O.B you could ever meet, 28 years old and only got as far as 6th grade but SWORE he was the smartest person in the shop...Anyways one day I pulled a solid 11" long and about pencil thick firework out of the tank and I obviously used a pair of forceps and right as I got the thing out of the water he walked over and shook the ladder I was standing on so I swung the forceps and smacked him right in the face with the whole length of the fireworm and let it go, well after it hit him in the face it dropped right down into his shirt

It was absolutely HILARIOUS and all day he was #####ing and moaning about how it hurt, so just to be a even bigger dick I told him to clean the area that hurt with HOT HOT water "incase you dont know hot water opens the pores up on your skin and causes the little fireworm hairs to go even deeper into your skin LOL"

He never bothered me again after that though HAHA

altolamprologus
Lol I pulled a HUGE fireworm out of the main display reef at my old job and we had a new guy who was just the most annoying S.O.B you could ever meet, 28 years old and only got as far as 6th grade but SWORE he was the smartest person in the shop...Anyways one day I pulled a solid 11" long and about pencil thick firework out of the tank and I obviously used a pair of forceps and right as I got the thing out of the water he walked over and shook the ladder I was standing on so I swung the forceps and smacked him right in the face with the whole length of the fireworm and let it go, well after it hit him in the face it dropped right down into his shirt

It was absolutely HILARIOUS and all day he was #####ing and moaning about how it hurt, so just to be a even bigger dick I told him to clean the area that hurt with HOT HOT water "incase you dont know hot water opens the pores up on your skin and causes the little fireworm hairs to go even deeper into your skin LOL"

He never bothered me again after that though HAHA

Lol that's one way to put someone in their place!

Beautiful pics yoshii/alto

Thanks Hype :)

Lol that's one way to put someone in their place!

Thanks Hype :)

Lol yeah if anyone ever deserved that it was this dip####, I mean its fine if school wasnt your thing and you dropped out, whatever its your life and your decision...But to only have a 6th grade education and think your as smart as a friggin college professor is something else LOL

altolamprologus
Still looks awesome and overgrown! Time to frag? ;)

Yeah it's getting to the point again where if I don't frag soon, I'm gonna have a war on my hands. That damn giant birdsnest needs to be fragged every couple months to keep it from shading my other sps. I may just start giving away frags of it :lol:

altolamprologus
Wrasse and mandarin are awesome. Whose bird is Irwin?

He's mine. I've had him for 12 years :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived