Pod Your Reef

Is there a lighting upgrade available for biocube 29

Loudeyes

I have a biocube 29 and right now I'm able to keep soft corals and a few LPS with the stock lights 10,000K, but I really want to keep SPS. I have been looking for bulbs with a higher K rating that will fit inside the hood but can't find any. Am I out luck I'm really starting to regret the purchase of the standard model and wish I would of known about the biocube hqi model. Please help me not regret my choice of tanks.

I have a biocube 29 and right now I'm able to keep soft corals and a few LPS with the stock lights 10,000K, but I really want to keep SPS. I have been looking for bulbs with a higher K rating that will fit inside the hood but can't find any. Am I out luck I'm really starting to regret the purchase of the standard model and wish I would of known about the biocube hqi model. Please help me not regret my choice of tanks.

A higher kelvin number will not allow you to keep spa. The K refers to the color of the light, not the intensity. You always have the option of removing the hood and getting a new light fixture. There are tons of options out there in every price range.

Edit damn phone

+1 on K

Many people DIY LEDs into the hoods of the BioCubes. It's relatively cost effective and evidently it is a huge difference from the stock to LEDs.

I also have a BC29 and going topless is not an option for me as I have fish that will go carpet surfing, plus the wife wouldn't approve of a fixture hanging from the ceiling or sticking out from a wall. If you're like me and don't feel comfortable doing a DIY, I went with a retro set-up from Dave Fason at Nano-Box Reef. His work is top notch. It has a full spectrum of colors and his new controller will be simply awesome! You can program sunny or cloudy days, thunder storms, and control each color individually.

Here's a pic of the set-up in my hood. Unfortunately, I can't show tank pics because it is being shipped to me.

nanoboxbcretro.jpg

gonzalez78
I also have a BC29 and going topless is not an option for me as I have fish that will go carpet surfing, plus the wife wouldn't approve of a fixture hanging from the ceiling or sticking out from a wall. If you're like me and don't feel comfortable doing a DIY, I went with a retro set-up from Dave Fason at Nano-Box Reef. His work is top notch. It has a full spectrum of colors and his new controller will be simply awesome! You can program sunny or cloudy days, thunder storms, and control each color individually.

Here's a pic of the set-up in my hood. Unfortunately, I can't show tank pics because it is being shipped to me.

nanoboxbcretro.jpg

Wow, $400 for that setup? Way too much i would rather just wait for rapidled to have their dimable biocube 29 led upgrade back in stock.

If you mean the hood, yes. I bought an extra hood from here on Nano-Reef. I sent it to Dave and he gutted it for me as I had no use for the bulbs, ballasts, etc.

Wow, $400 for that setup? Way too much i would rather just wait for rapidled to have their dimable biocube 29 led upgrade back in stock.

Not really, especially when you compare what Radions and Al Sols are going for.

Plus I'm all thumbs when it comes to anything DIY, and especially when I'm dealin' with electricity!

Those look different. What color LEDs come with that? I have rapids and love them. I have royal blue, cool white, cyan, violet, and blue. Also have 2 moonlight leds and love the sunset/sunrise. LED's rock!

A higher kelvin number will not allow you to keep spa. The K refers to the color of the light, not the intensity. You always have the option of removing the hood and getting a new light fixture. There are tons of options out there in every price range.

Edit damn phone

So if it's not the Kelvin rating what do I need to look for in order to keep a montipora?

So if it's not the Kelvin rating what do I need to look for in order to keep a montipora?

Do I have to have metal halide lighting or is there anything I can do with the stock hood?

I have the Nanotuners 3.6 kit on my BC14. Too bad they're not in business anymore. If I'm not mistaken, they're now making the JBJ Unibody fixture.

Ecoxotic panorama pros. 3- strips. More expensive than DIY but plug and play.

+1 DIY is a bit more brain power but not much and more satisfying. if i want new/different color to my Rapids, i just flip the hood up and swap one out. takes 5 mins. cant do that with Panoramas.

Archived