Pod Your Reef

29 gallons of awesome

altolamprologus

I can prove to you that with a real LED array (none of that cool white-based #### like the AI Sol or anything like that) that that has all changed, especially as far as spectrum and color rendering go.

A neutral white Bridgelux 950B along with a set of royal blue Cree XT-E or Luxeon Rebel ES will blow coloration from any halide out of the water without even adding additional spectrum. Growth can be attributed to the amount of light, which LEDs are more than capable of surpassing even a 400w halide bulb using less than half the power (about 1/3). Check out the numbers I ran on Zeph's thread, he'd be bonkers to keep using halides. ;)

LEDs are a no-brainer if done right. :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
I can prove to you that with a real LED array (none of that cool white-based #### like the AI Sol or anything like that) that that has all changed, especially as far as spectrum and color rendering go.

A neutral white Bridgelux 950B along with a set of royal blue Cree XT-E or Luxeon Rebel ES will blow coloration from any halide out of the water without even adding additional spectrum. Growth can be attributed to the amount of light, which LEDs are more than capable of surpassing even a 400w halide bulb using less than half the power (about 1/3). Check out the numbers I ran on Zeph's thread, he'd be bonkers to keep using halides. ;)

LEDs are a no-brainer if done right. :)

I saw that and it's pretty impressive. However, I still believe fluorescents (T5 HO in particular) are the best lighting for overall growth, color, and health. I know you like LEDs but this is just my opinion and I don't think LEDs are the best they can be yet. I have yet to see a truly impressive sps tank running LEDs long term. As far as I've seen, such a tank does not exist.

altolamprologus
When you add your PRO's go for one magenta to increase the purple.

Ok thanks. I was thinking one magenta and one white/blue combo. Then I can always change out PC bulbs to get more or less blue

Kfmmartin1996 can you post a pic of your panorama pro setup?

Oh and BYW guys when I redo the tank I'll be starting a new thread for it. I'll post a link here when I do

Ok thanks. I was thinking one magenta and one white/blue combo. Then I can always change out PC bulbs to get more or less blue

Kfmmartin1996 can you post a pic of your panorama pro setup?

Oh and BYW guys when I redo the tank I'll be starting a new thread for it. I'll post a link here when I do

Fo sho. Just the inside of the hood or the whole tank with the lights on? I'm assuming the hood. I can get u a pic in the next day or two.

Extremely simple to do. Took me a total of 30 mins to take out the PCs and install the three pro's.

altolamprologus
Fo sho. Just the inside of the hood or the whole tank with the lights on? I'm assuming the hood. I can get u a pic in the next day or two.

Extremely simple to do. Took me a total of 30 mins to take out the PCs and install the three pro's.

Sorry for the late reply, but don't worry about it. I have decided to go a different route that I will explain when it's actually done.

Sorry for the late reply, but don't worry about it. I have decided to go a different route that I will explain when it's actually done.

Ok. Just took the pic actually lol. Np. Interested to see what u have decided.

altolamprologus

I started taking down the tank today. Mostly just moving some stuff to another tank temporarily. Anyway, I found my flame scallop, who had hidden himself in the back of the tank several months ago. I've had him now for 10 months and he looks just as healthy as he did way back when I first got him

Feb 2012 (I actually got him in either December or January)

DSC02076.jpg

Today (taken with an iphone so quality isn't the best)

BFD65CCE-B1C4-419B-8C0F-677410752E59-887-0000013966249EB3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
altolamprologus

I cleaned out the tank and I'm going to fill it back up soon. Here's the tentative rockscape. Any opinions or suggestions?

4FAAE2E8-7CAD-4713-916B-4760E14EB602-2122-000002BB335FA54E.jpg

altolamprologus
Looks okay; not caves though. Can you maker one in the column at the back?

I wasn't really planning on having any caves. Stocking will be my clown, mandarins, a bunch of gobies, and hopefully a pair of blue stripe pipefish. They will all pretty much be out in the open

I wasn't really planning on having any caves. Stocking will be my clown, mandarins, a bunch of gobies, and hopefully a pair of blue stripe pipefish. They will all pretty much be out in the open

Don't need caves. You want to maximize area for placement of SPS. Making caves requires the rocks to be close together therefore minimizing surface area. The way you have it looks perfect.

altolamprologus
I was thinking about getting a flame scallop the other day but I don't like their tendency to do as they please.

Yeah I don't like that either. They never stay where to put them. Luckily mine has never knocked over corals when moving around.

Don't need caves. You want to maximize area for placement of SPS. Making caves requires the rocks to be close together therefore minimizing surface area. The way you have it looks perfect.

Fair points. It does look good and will be great for SPS and coral placement.

altolamprologus
Fair points. It does look good and will be great for SPS and coral placement.

I forgot to mention this, but there a couple small caves inside the right island where the mandarins and gobies can hang out at night

If the smallest rock will also have SPS then I'm assuming you're getting all LED's so PAR shouldn't be an issue. Also since pipefish like baby brine shrimp and copepods, I think the SPS and this tank should flourish under your care. Look forward to it.

jedimasterben
If the smallest rock will also have SPS then I'm assuming you're getting all LED's so PAR shouldn't be an issue.

shhhh! is a secret! :ninja:

altolamprologus
I like it :) Simple, and leaves room for SPS

Thanks. That's exactly what I was going for :)

this. i approve.

tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif

I approve of your approval. I shall epoxy the rock down as soon as possible and get it cycling.

If the smallest rock will also have SPS then I'm assuming you're getting all LED's so PAR shouldn't be an issue. Also since pipefish like baby brine shrimp and copepods, I think the SPS and this tank should flourish under your care. Look forward to it.

I cannot confirm or deny such accusations. However, I can say both the fish and corals will be spoiled rotten with food so everything should be very happy :D

shhhh! is a secret! :ninja:

:ninja:

Archived