Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pico Reef Jar

AnthonyPf

your maxi looks extremely nice in that tank. if it splits frequently, you're going to have an awesome colored tank soon!

also that blasto has to go on the sand...

I did not know the blasto had to go in the sand. Is it because they do not like the light or just prefer the location?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright Newman I think you were right.

The Blasto just did not look like it was doing well were I had it. So now I have rescaped the whole tank!!

I love that and hate it all at the same time.

Here is the new Blasto placement:

6260922176_74d0c26235_z.jpg

What do you think?

Also took a FTS of the new scape. Look at that Carpet Nem!

6260403287_4cc03f8834_z.jpg

maxi mini nem going crazy in there lol? it looks real good.

yes that looks good for that blasto. it should be open and full within a week if it likes its placing, just try not to touch it. they don't take handling stress too well.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick FTS. Not all of the corals are shown here. I will take more individual photos later.

I have also just updated some pics in my DX12 thread. Feel free to take a look and leave comments.

Thanks all!

6588556779_ec0991c6ff_b.jpg

its great. please dont ever take it down or move the contents to another reef that always spoils the experiment and it happens all the time in these small systems

Thank you for the nice comments.

I did want to share a fun project I have been working on.

In my Nanocube at home I have a wonderful green trumpet. A small piece of bone and flesh detached from this trumpet.

Here is a picture of the green trumpet at home:

6588105001_752698f719_z.jpg

At work I have a white trumpet. I decided to take the chunk of green and glue it onto the white.

The arrow indicates where I glued the new piece:

6595364779_6013e6cd7d_b.jpg

If this experiment works I should have a cool mix between white and green.

I really do appreciate all of the nice comments!!

I have some good news regarding the trumpet blend. If you recall I have mixed my green trumpet at home with my white trumpet at work.

The new green Trumpet piece put out tentacles and ate an LPS pellet. Not a lot of new growth yet but none of the skeleton is showing and that is good news!

Here is an updated pic:

6647635915_eb3173903d_b.jpg

I also took a couple of other close shots:

Chalice

6647608741_0385b181f3_z.jpg

Blasto

6647641997_8475361eba_z.jpg

Duncan

6647649335_a37f602549_z.jpg

Red Mushroom

6647629293_f55acb9662_z.jpg

Carpet Nem

6647622649_01263865d0_z.jpg

I will continue to take progress shots of the trumpet.

Next time I will try to grab some more color differentiation.

Thanks all!!

blasto is still looking strange... how does it respond if you put it more into the light, but still at sand level? normally they do like shade but i dont get why yours hasn't extended normally yet...it should look like the blasto in my pico.

So 63 3mm LEDS is enough for sps? So ~20 should work for softies?

Lighting for my 1/4 gallon will be easier than I had hoped...

you should really try it out patiently starting with soft corals. if they do fine, try LPS and if they do great, go to SPS and see what happens if any of those bleach or lose color, then you have an issue to work out.

The main lighting I rely upon for this tank is the PAR38 LED lamp. That is 7 3 watt LEDs.

blasto is still looking strange... how does it respond if you put it more into the light, but still at sand level? normally they do like shade but i dont get why yours hasn't extended normally yet...it should look like the blasto in my pico.

I have had a hard time with this blasto. Every time I move it out into the light a little more it seems to retract. The flesh pulls away from the skeleton and it just does not like the light. When I move it back it opens up more. I am to the point were I am just going to leave it where it is. It eats well and has at least a little extension. Funny that this is one of my more difficult corals.

i found that my welsi can be picky at times. ok then keep it in the shade as you are doing and over time it should open up more. the more feeding the better. maybe twice a week or something.

I have been feeding once a week. I will try to bump it up to 2 times a week.

Thanks for the input! Your Pico is spectacular by the way.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is a very nice comment spearow! Thank you for the kind words.

The Pico Reef Jar is doing just fine. It still surprises me how much slower things grow in the pico.

I have taken a couple of medium quality pictures. I will have to get my camera into work soon.

Hope you like them:

FTS 7.3.12

7494892930_17bc58e478_c.jpg

Right side

7494894726_1bc222295f.jpg

Left side

7494897150_6fcda39972.jpg

Top shot

7494891124_84896095a6.jpg

Archived