SaltCritters.com

Pico Reef Jar

AnthonyPf

Thanks Twilton!

I was worried that I would have heavy loss after the heat wave. (Office heat wave not real heat wave)

Turns out most of the heat was caused by my own stupidity. I bought a new timer and set it wrong. The light stayed on for 24 hours a day for about 6 days.

My birdsnest has been half bleached. The rest of the coral has bounced back.

It constantly surprises me how slowly things grow in the pico compared to even my Nanocube 12.

I have started feeding. I am feeding Fauna Marin LPS Pellets. Love this food!

My maxi nem is still in hiding. I can see only a little of it. It does eat every week and the color on it is still bright and good so I will leave it be.

Thank you everyone for looking:

6124157098_cfd0f00742_z.jpg

This is a top shot. You can see the birdsnest bleached on the right side.

6123615261_7dca8c4e79_z.jpg

6123614809_812ec92f67_z.jpg

You can see a new head developing on the left side of the Duncan

6124155646_25cee20b3e_z.jpg

FTS 9.7.11

6123613657_0828cb4a4a_b.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great!!!

I think it is funny that you are stating that things are growing slow in your Pico compared to your nano, and I am having the exact opposite experience. Everything in my Pico is growing quite quickly.

Maybe if I stop trying to cook everything it might grow faster?

lol, maybe.

I do have a rather extreme light cycle for my vase. Lights on when I wake up and go to make my coffee (6am or so) Then lights off when I go to bed (11pm or so)

Just purchased my OCEAN WAVE+ FIVE STAGE RO/DI 75GPD from The Filter Guys.

Every call I made to the company was answered by Jim. He was very nice and really helpful.

I will take some pictures and report back on the unit when it arrives.

Just purchased my OCEAN WAVE+ FIVE STAGE RO/DI 75GPD from The Filter Guys.

Every call I made to the company was answered by Jim. He was very nice and really helpful.

I will take some pictures and report back on the unit when it arrives.

Awesome. I need to pull the trigger and buy an RO/DI system. I was thinking a 50 to 75 GPD under tank system. That way I can use it for my drinking water also. Until then, I will travel half a block to the Grocery stores RO dispenser. Which I test regularly and they are always 0 - 5 on my TDS meter.

I was actually told that drinking the RO/DI water is not a good idea. The water is so stripped that it can actually pull things like electrolytes and salt from your body doing more harm than good. Most drinking water has this stuff added back to it.

I think you can drink just RO water but not RO/DI. Check into that before you start drinking it!!

I was actually told that drinking the RO/DI water is not a good idea. The water is so stripped that it can actually pull things like electrolytes and salt from your body doing more harm than good. Most drinking water has this stuff added back to it.

I think you can drink just RO water but not RO/DI. Check into that before you start drinking it!!

It is a heavily debated topic. The major point in the argument is that the purity of the water causes an issue with mineral absorption. So basically the water will rob your body of minerals because the water turns into a mineral sponge.

I am calling B.S. on all of that.

So I guess the 24 hour bake-A-thon caused more damage than I thought.

The protective covering and polyps just melted off my acro.

I initially attempted to cut off the bottom part and remount what looked to be healthy. It did not work and the rest of it dissolved by the next day.

I did get a new Acan over the weekend. Today I mounted the Acan and moved the birdsnest.

Some pics of the new guy:

6145149312_9eedba6e25_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Updates Updates who wants some Updates:

Well, there are not that many updates sorry..

Everything looks nice and is growing well. The coral is responding very nicely to weekly feeding and the sunrise/sunset I have set up for them.

Here are some pictures:

FTS

6214930306_fd237efe90_z.jpg

Standing back a little

6214938896_16c700c3d7_z.jpg

Maxi Mini and Milli

6214935818_61af469eb9_z.jpg

Torch, Duncan and Trumpet

6214404233_b0f53d4c80_z.jpg

Rainbow Monit and Birdsnest

6214925370_06b5b63542_z.jpg

On a side note, Please click the link in my signature for my Nanocube. I just added a red LED that is just amazing!

-Thanks

Thanks BGJ. The only warning about the red is that it is super powerful and easy to overtake a little tank.

I was super surprised at how strong it was with just one LED driven at 750mA.

I almost would consider running it off my moon light driver. That driver is only 350mA.

Good to know.

My Cool Whites and Royal Blues are running on their on 700ma power supply. Over my 5.5 gallon tank. Should I place them on the White array or the Blue array?

I like them with the blue. Especially if you have a sunset/sunrise period with just the blues.

It makes it look like a real sunset!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Super excited to have found a new LFS. I have an hour for lunch and I am able to make it there in 14 minutes. That leave me 1/2 hour to pick my corals and still make it back in time.

They have AWESOME $10 frags!

Here is what I got yesterday:

Closed Brain:

6243987155_7db0c81b67_z.jpg

Blasto:

6244500552_c7e57f75bd_z.jpg

I also got some stuff for my nanocube and will post shortly in that thread.

Have a nice weekend all.

Blasto:

6244500552_c7e57f75bd_z.jpg

I also got some stuff for my nanocube and will post shortly in that thread.

Have a nice weekend all.

Great setup. Love that blasto, beautiful coloration. Keep up the great work and be sure to keep those pics coming.

For some reason softies and I do not get along. I am not sure why but any time I buy zoanthids and mushrooms I kill them.

There is a mushroom or two in here. You can see the poor condition of the one under the blasto.

I do have a red shroom in here with some awesome color. I will keep feeding it and hope it spreads!

For some reason softies and I do not get along. I am not sure why but any time I buy zoanthids and mushrooms I kill them.

There is a mushroom or two in here. You can see the poor condition of the one under the blasto.

I do have a red shroom in here with some awesome color. I will keep feeding it and hope it spreads!

I say you give some palys a try, it might work out for ya.

your maxi looks extremely nice in that tank. if it splits frequently, you're going to have an awesome colored tank soon!

also that blasto has to go on the sand...

Archived