Cultivated Reef

Pico Reef Jar

AnthonyPf

I am new to Nano-Reef.com

I have set up a pico reef jar in my office and would like to share with everyone.

The set up includes:

3 Gallon jar (The size is an estimate)

3 21 LED lamps

In tank filter

Hydor mini heater to be placed in the sand

5lbs of live sand

5lbs live rock

Let me know what you think.

post-65007-1299014945.jpg

post-65007-1299014958.jpg

post-65007-1299014969.jpg

post-65007-1299014983.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:welcome: Lookin pretty awesome so far!

What kind of filter are you using and how much flow does it provide? And Im not exactly sure, but your sand might not be deep enough to get the benefits of a deep sand bed so you might want to remove an inch or two--not 100% on this though, hopefully someone will chime in who knows better

:welcome: Lookin pretty awesome so far!

What kind of filter are you using and how much flow does it provide? And Im not exactly sure, but your sand might not be deep enough to get the benefits of a deep sand bed so you might want to remove an inch or two--not 100% on this though, hopefully someone will chime in who knows better

The filter is a Duetto 50. I got it many years ago when I had a small turtle tank. The filter is small but moves the water well.

The sand is about 3 inches deap at its deepest. I have a Nanocube DX12 at home with less sand and it seems to be doing well.

Hmm would probably reduce it down to an inch, consensus seems to be you need at least 5 inches to make it a DSB and anywhere from like 2-4ish inches risks the possibility of forming nasty crud that can bomb your tank when it finally escapes

the live rock is amazing plus those are laser clean pics. the pico is sharp I really am most curious to know how long it takes the system to increase salinity say from .023-.024, how long is that range? can you get by with a topoff every other day...

its really clean and sharp and the visual changes made by a cylindrical reef always were appealing to me its something out of the ordinary.

the live rock is amazing plus those are laser clean pics. the pico is sharp I really am most curious to know how long it takes the system to increase salinity say from .023-.024, how long is that range? can you get by with a topoff every other day...

its really clean and sharp and the visual changes made by a cylindrical reef always were appealing to me its something out of the ordinary.

Hey thanks! The pics are actually taken with my phone.

I drew a line on the side of the container to watch the water level. With the lid on the jar I loose almost nothing to evaporation. I have checked the salinity almost every day and it stays right at 1.023.

I have been changing 1 cup of water from the tank every other day. top offs about twice a week with fresh water.

All of the SPS and LPS frags I added Monday are open and happy.

On a side note I have seen some of your tanks and they are all excellent. So thanks again for the comments!

Upon arriving to work thins morning I came to find I had the dreaded rock slide last night. The pile of rocks I had set fell and the corals scattered. It took me a frustrating hour to set it all back up. Some parts are better some are not as good.

I might have more room for new stuff with this new set up.

Here is the pic

5510249138_0a64ca5b36.jpg

How are you planning to clean the glass? You may have to keep enough space for a magfloat to pass through. It does look really nice.

I would like to post an update on the reef jar. It is the beginning of week 5 and everything looks healthy. The SPS and LPS seem to be doing just fine under the LEDs.

5525889347_af4c752d24.jpg

I happened to find a little hitchhiker on the new live rock. A beautiful blue/green stripped mushroom.

5525896895_0c3201680e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update photo on the jar. I am at week 8 with livestock and everything is doing very well. My montipora has doubled in size. The acro is starting to grow over the epoxy plug. Big surprise the star polyps have spread. Below is a quick snap shot of the whole thing. I will do more individual pictures at about 10 weeks.

5595571382_f9493b2346.jpg

Looks good! I like the round jar look. Good work!

Just an update photo on the jar. I am at week 8 with livestock and everything is doing very well. My montipora has doubled in size. The acro is starting to grow over the epoxy plug. Big surprise the star polyps have spread. Below is a quick snap shot of the whole thing. I will do more individual pictures at about 10 weeks.

5595571382_f9493b2346.jpg

Archived