Pod Your Reef

A 20 gallon learning experience

irondragon013

This may not pass a leak test.

lookin forward to this.. lol

I have no idea what ppl can do with items... as you listed.. lol.. but i know a closed loop is water coming out one end of the tank and goin back in another end with no interruption like a sump -- hence it being closed.. lol.. if that helps.. lol

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
irondragon013

The plan is:

Pump pulls water from the tank and puts it right back in. In one end and out the other lol.

Intake>>>pump>valve>return

Its that simple. I need sleep lol. I have class in the morning.

yes that is a closed system.. and yes i need sleep too.. thats exactly what u put in ur previous post... lol i just saw 'pressure applications' and lost it... lol

irondragon013

The braided hose is meant to handle pressure as opposed to the regular clear hose. I wouldn't trust the clear stuff on this. Imagine a tank pumped dry and the floor covered in water.

^ good idea with the banded hose. I use that stuff with my pc watercooling projects. But usually the advantage in that situation is that the tubing is less likely to kink.

irondragon013

The tubing does has notably thicker walls which prevents kinking as it is harder to bend. Kind of an advantage and disadvantage in some cases. Its going to be difficult to get this hose onto the fittings, but it will make a better seal.

irondragon013

I might if I have to. I think a little water on the fitting should be enough to get the hose on. I have a heat gun also if it comes to that.

irondragon013

Well scratch the closed loop. I got it all put together and leak tested but it started leaking after I put it on the tank. The pump seals were the culprit and I'm fine with that as the eventual purpose of the pump is a return pump. I do think another power head would be a good idea as the coral showed an instant increase in polyp extension in the few minutes that the extra flow was going.

irondragon013

My reefcleaners order came in and damn thats a lot of snails. I think I got around 200-300 dwarf cerith and at least double the number of the other types. 2 blue leg hermits snuck into the cerith snail bag lol. I'm glad I had the 20 and the 10 to put all of these in. Also the macros they sent were great.

irondragon013

Here is some pictures to get the idea of the number of snails I received:

In the 20:

5538124686_91a6c2ee96_z.jpg

And the 10:

This picture sucks but it gives you the idea of the snails and macros I got.

5538124916_d1f522acc9_z.jpg

I felt like I was putting sprinkles on a cake or something when I was putting in all the dwarf ceriths.

irondragon013

I picked up a Frogspawn at the LFS yesterday. They had a large colony for sale for a while that broke apart at some point. This meant some decent frags so I picked up this one. It has 4 mouths.

5552940275_ebf775aa64_z.jpg

I also added another power head. Here is a pick to show how they are set up

5553506754_ddfd04704a_z.jpg

irondragon013
lol that powerhead picture is sick! I dunno, just describes IRONDRAGON to me.. !!

LOL :P All three are pointed up and at the same point at the surface. It puts a lot of flow around the right rock structure with the sps on it. Also the flow seems pretty random and calmer on the left side due to them being crossed up.

The picture makes them look masive but they are K-nanos. Two 425 and the other is a 240

irondragon013

I picked up 3 new editions to the 20L today, 3 Green Chromis. It should add some movement to the tank once they settle in. I stink at fish pictures but this is the best I could do:

5561879154_8c6a0455c5_z.jpg

New FTS, Finally:

5561303723_12a0f9c8a7_z.jpg

thats awesome! i wanted to get some chromis.. but couldn't figure out if it should be 2 or 3 with the whole grouping/murder that they got goin on...

irondragon013
thats awesome! i wanted to get some chromis.. but couldn't figure out if it should be 2 or 3 with the whole grouping/murder that they got goin on...

From what I understand, Chromis should be in groups no less than 3. I'm going to see how these three do. My 6 line and Gramma bugged them for a while but seemed to cool it after a while. The 6 line was doing some funny posing lol. Sleeps like a coma and has a crazy never stop eating anything attitude, the little sucker has grown about half an inch since I got it.

The addition of the chromis should give my skimmer something to do. I can only get light colored skim unless i way overfeed the tank to the point where the CUC gets stuffed lol. But the CUC and skimmer have eradicated the algae that coated the back of the tank. And Nitrates have tested 0 even with mass feeding for several days in a row.

And on another not. I'll be going to the not so local LFS in Athens Ga on Friday. I can't wait. Frags here I come :P

irondragon013

I have some good stuff ordered. A Canon SX130 IS. Should be great for taking pictures of the tank. Ordered a JBJ ocean pulse for the two evo 425's. Also a Maxi-jet 400 I want to mod to work in my Aquatic Life 115. I have no idea if it will work. We will see...

I have some good stuff ordered. A Canon SX130 IS. Should be great for taking pictures of the tank. Ordered a JBJ ocean pulse for the two evo 425's. Also a Maxi-jet 400 I want to mod to work in my Aquatic Life 115. I have no idea if it will work. We will see...

That's the same P&S camera I have. :D

It's great for taking tank videos, too.

irondragon013
look forward to seeing some pics with the new cam.

So am I. I'm currently using an old 6.1 megapixel Kodak Point and shoot. I can never get great definition on macro shots because it won't focus within about a foot, even in the macro setting. Picture quality at 12 vs 6 megapixel should be amazing. Plus HD Video. I picked up a kit online that included a tripod, 8g memory card, and some other stuff.

Any tips on taking pics, Like settings? Your pictures are always amazing Rehype. I'm still a newb with cameras and the Sx130 IS had good reviews for the price range. How do you avoid getting your reflection in the picture? Is it about the lighting outside the tank, or something else?

From what I understand, Chromis should be in groups no less than 3.

Just a heads up, when I was researching fish that would school chromis would often come up. Usually someone would say that they school and then half a dozen people would say that they can only keep 1 alive because they shoal, not school. They are apparently actually territorial and will kill each other till there is only 1 left.

I don't have experience with it myself, but the story seems to happen a lot.

irondragon013
That's the same P&S camera I have. :D

It's great for taking tank videos, too.

So are all the pics in your tank thread done with the camera? If so I'm going to be very happy :D

irondragon013
Just a heads up, when I was researching fish that would school chromis would often come up. Usually someone would say that they school and then half a dozen people would say that they can only keep 1 alive because they shoal, not school. They are apparently actually territorial and will kill each other till there is only 1 left.

I don't have experience with it myself, but the story seems to happen a lot.

I had seen a little of this in my research and I will see what happens in the future. I really love how they have made the tank so much more lively. It is interesting at night though. Two "sleep" practically in my birdsnest and the other near by. Hopefully they will move to the branching montipora that is getting bigger by the day. For a $5 frag not bad.

heard the same thing bout chromis.. but i still wanna get 3 as well! lol

can't wait to see pics with the new cam !

Archived