A 20 gallon learning experience

irondragon013

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
irondragon013

Thanks backwerds man.

I have some bad news and good news.

The bad is that the female clown fish chased the little black and white clown from the tank at some point I was at school. He apparently jumped through the small gap between my glass cover and the filter. I found him on the carpet... This is the second clown fish she has driven out of the tank. I'll miss the little guy.

Good news is I picked up a 6 line wrasse on the way home before discovering the loss. Though the new addition is not as fun with the loss of the clown.

The female clown fish will most likely be traded in or given away as I'm fed up with clown fish at the moment and don't see her as a good thing for the tank anymore.

irondragon013

I think I'm done with clown fish for a while. I'll find this girl a home and put something else in for the time being. I really want a flame angle, but I'm skeptical of how well it will work in the 20L. I don't want to risk any coral.

Tomorrow I'm picking up some new snails, a few cerith and a turbo to combat the nasty film algae that has taken over the back wall of the tank. The astrea snails won't touch the stuff and a broader cuc should do the trick.

irondragon013

Here is a couple pics of the 6 line wrasse. I think this fish rock. Though I have a feeling the majority of my pod population is now forming the bulge in the 6 line's stomach. I must have took 50+ pictures to get these 2.

5517778151_82353c5d9d_z.jpg

5518369790_5ed062af67_z.jpg

The leather and branching monti

5517777947_546e66d318_z.jpg

And a candid from the cuc

5517778085_c3553079f4_z.jpg

Also added a turbo snail, 2 nassarius and 4 cerith snails

that 6 line is wicked -- gave me inspiration to try again with the 6 line (lost my first one). ur crabs leave the snails alone? i cant' get any snails besides the trochus -- the only ones that stand a fighting chance against my hermits..

irondragon013
that 6 line is wicked -- gave me inspiration to try again with the 6 line (lost my first one). ur crabs leave the snails alone? i cant' get any snails besides the trochus -- the only ones that stand a fighting chance against my hermits..

I love how the 6 line constantly is searching around the tank. Though I could live without the mucus sleeping bag thing lol.

What kind of hermits do you have? Only time mine bother a snail is when they want to clean its shell. I also feed them pellets when I feed my fish. Are they after shells or food? I have what looks like a snail graveyard behind my rocks to keep them from needing to steal shells. I think there is about 40+ extra shells in my tank in all sizes.

i believe they are the standard blue legged hermits.. one is an albino... i have 20 or so shells for them to go too.. have had the crabs for 6 months now, only one has decided to use the shells, and is 5x the size now (b/c of shell?). I used to put lettuce in the tank, and the crabs would eat every bit of it --but still go after the snails for FOOD... fatties/bullies, i dunno what.. I stopped feeding them lettuce.. cause im a dick like that... and now they just scavenge and eat the left over flake food from the fish. Even with being fed they go after the trochus snails who can literally spazz/shake their shells and dropkick the crabs.. im gonna have to get rid of the crabs i think, and just have a take over with snails..

irondragon013

I have tricolor and scarlet reef hermits in my tank. Try feeding the hermits pellets. At first I had to literally put the crab on top of the pellet to see it but now they chase them down when I feed. My friend had a 26 bow front that had like 20 or so hermits that never took out snails as far as I know. He fed them pellets, it was like a battle royal when a pellet hit the sand lol. He had on left handed hermit that lived in a shell that is about 2.5 inches across.

irondragon013

Well I took blondie to the LFS to drop her off. Tomorrow I'll find out what I can get for her. I know I said I was done with clowns but there is a pair at the LFS I really want. It comes down to weather they will sell them as they keep them in a frag tank and I may not be able to afford them as they are a misbar of some variety or another.

ill try.. but i think id rather just have snails take over.. hermits are too... snobby... lol

I think it might come down to luck as it seems to with a lot of things in this hobby.

Great tank. Love the aquascape.

Thanks Javisaman.

Here is a couple pics of the 6 line wrasse. I think this fish rock. Though I have a feeling the majority of my pod population is now forming the bulge in the 6 line's stomach. I must have took 50+ pictures to get these 2.

Now that is one chubby six-line!

irondragon013
Now that is one chubby six-line!

My fiancee and I are working on a name. Something along the lines of piggy or chubby lol. I guess a having a pile of rubble forming an island means a lot of pods. And he destroyed a piece of frozen shrimp I was giving to a hermit crab. He won't touch flake food. I'm not too worried with that belly on him.

irondragon013

Update:

No luck on the clown fish as the lfs wouldn't sell them.

I have started to have some more serious algae issues then before. This is most likely due to my over feeding with new additions. I put in my Aquatic life 115 skimmer in and will do some gravel vacuuming tomorrow as time permits. I really have been bad about vacuuming. I also am going to order more CUC for the 20L as well as the 10g this week from reefcleaners.

The mantis and corals that I have been holding onto went back to my friend yesterday. The plan is to order a Wennerae from Tampa Bay Saltwater to inhabit the 10g and eventually the refugium of the 40B setup when it is done.

irondragon013

Ordered a 20L quick crew and some macros to spice up the 10g from reefcleaners. The snails will be split between the 10 and 20 as I have some in the 20 already.

Awesome Sixlines! i love those guys!! :happy:

My first one died shortly after,poor health from LFS.

My second one is doing amazing tho!

irondragon013

The six line and the royal gramma have been two fish I really wanted and right now that's all I have. I just haven't ran into any other fish I really want. Its funny but everything in my tank eats flake food, even the pistol and coral banded shrimp lol. I really don't mind it as it makes feeding simple. I do use oysterfeast for the coral. It makes for some great polyp extension on the sps and lps love the stuff.

Here is a tasty pic of the skimmer, yum :P

5528549959_3ff30f64ba_z.jpg

love the six line, i have one in my 10 gallon tank, super healthy, has a potbelly, very very inquisitive always checking out the corners of the rocks and slower fish my scooter blenny.

just wondering what temperature is your tank at? would you think that at 30 celcius-86 Fahrenheit suitable for coral?

irondragon013
love the six line, i have one in my 10 gallon tank, super healthy, has a potbelly, very very inquisitive always checking out the corners of the rocks and slower fish my scooter blenny.

just wondering what temperature is your tank at? would you think that at 30 celcius-86 Fahrenheit suitable for coral?

I run my tank at 80 Fahrenheit. From my understanding reef tanks range from 76-84. 86 might be just a little hot. But your thermometer may read a little off so its not a bad idea to check with a different thermometer. One of the hardest things I ever did was setting the heater dial lol. I ended up super gluing it in place when I got it right.

tundrashaul

That skimmer looks like it's doing the trick, I have wondered is they work well for having such a versatile footprint.

irondragon013
That skimmer looks like it's doing the trick, I have wondered is they work well for having such a versatile footprint.

I had heard nothing but good things about them and I got this one used from another NR member. This is the second time i have had it on the tank and it starts pulling stuff within an hour. It may be wet but I know it will make a difference. It has yet to stop putting bubbles into the display which is why I took it out the first time. Now I have a couple pieces of sponge in the return part that has reduced the bubbles to livable amounts. After a couple more days this should be reduced more. I originally planned to make a HOB fuge to put it in, but I would rather save funds for livestock and/or a bigger tank.

Just a note, I cut the glass top using a dremel to allow me to keep the top on with the skimmer. This has made me realize glass isn't any worse than any other material to work with. My next tank will be drilled for sure.

irondragon013

I now have about 90% of equipment I need to make a 400+gph closed loop system thanks to bulldogpet. It is mainly stuff for a dream tank of sorts, but I figure why not use it in the mean time. I should have it up and running next week sometime.

irondragon013

I'm not really sure if this constitutes a true closed loop. But it is my understanding of one.

I'll make a quick list here:

ViaAqua 1800 Pump ~480gph

3/4 inch "U" tube return nozzle

3/4 inch nylon reinforced tubing meant for pressure applications

3/4 valve to adjust flow rate.

I just need some sort of pick up tube. I'll probably run this and one of my K-nano's. This may not pass a leak test. It's just one of the many crazy ideas that I have come up with and actually have the stuff to do it lol.

Archived