ReefCleaners.org

EcoPico 5 gallon LED reef build....Refreshed tank on page 6!

alaskan84

alfiefive
yeah I was looking at the $75.00 double mouth one earlier....it looks the nicest, but i figure mine will do that soon enough so no need to pay for the extra growth....damn CM, the purple tyedye zoas they've got up now look tempting....and they've got a way better looking mohawk frag up now too :o ....they could bankrupt me! At least I know I am buying quality frags that are healthy, and worth their price IMO, not too overpriced. Only guys I know that routinly throw in $15-$30 frags for free too

i am refusing to look at the site so that i don't make any stupid purchases. lol

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alaskan84
i am refusing to look at the site so that i don't make any stupid purchases. lol

I wouldnt classify their purchases as stupid ;) maybe your purchase timing wouldnt be ideal, but I have yet to be dissapointed in anything from CM.

Mr. Coral on the other had, I think i've placed my first and last order. Frags are just too fresh and small.

alaskan84

So I made a little mushroom rock yesterday after work

IMG_435901.jpg

and a quick shot of the Mint Green Lotus Eaters that are starting to open this morning

IMG_436001.jpg

alfiefive
I wouldnt classify their purchases as stupid ;) maybe your purchase timing wouldnt be ideal, but I have yet to be dissapointed in anything from CM.

Mr. Coral on the other had, I think i've placed my first and last order. Frags are just too fresh and small.

I meant... I'm afraid to look at the CM site because every time I do I buy too much! It's all amazing! They are my favorite coral vendor BY FAR!

alaskan84
Everything looks terrific. Been tempted to order from Mr. Corals myself!

Thanks Chewy,

I would personally steer clear from Mr. Coral, at least I will be from now on. Coral Morphologic may not have the variety of Mr. Coral but I know that CM frags arent freshly cut and have a much better chance of survival. even the free frags thrown in by CM were larger and healthier than the mr coral frags

New shots!

lets start with the bad

Mr Coral mushroom frag in the middle has turned white and is dead...the other 3 on the rock(sorry hella blurry) appear to be growing and opening up more...I'm hoping they will survive

IMG_438901.jpg

Mr Coral zoa frag on the left was open and bright pink the first few days and now is closed and shrunken...starting to look white, I fear its death is near

IMG_438801.jpg

And the Good!

IMG_438701.jpg

IMG_438501.jpg

IMG_438301.jpg

IMG_438401.jpg

IMG_438101.jpg

Suicidal Hermit....NOOO Dont Jump!!

IMG_437601.jpg

And another hermit tha thas a cool duster attached to his shell

IMG_437201.jpg

and finally new FTS's

IMG_439001.jpg

IMG_439101.jpg

Thanks for following!

a few updated shots here...didnt have time to do any color balancing so these are whatever my camera thought it saw

Vice Zoas

IMG_439201.jpg

Hulk Zoas

IMG_439301.jpg

Mohawks

IMG_439601.jpg

Unknown Pink zoas from Mr Coral

IMG_439501.jpg

Teal Lotus eaters

IMG_439701.jpg

Pink Peach Lotus eaters

IMG_439801.jpg

Single pink unknown polyp...recently sprouting two new little polyps!

IMG_440001.jpg

Kenya tree frag from my 28 gallon

IMG_440101.jpg

Remaining shrooms looking real good

IMG_440201.jpg

and Sunny D's hanging on strong...just slow growers

IMG_439901.jpg

I dont know what it is about nice mushroom but i awalys want them.

I had 4 shrooms to start with, and 3 remain...mr coral gave them names such as Superman, Utter Chaos, and Captain America....mainly for hype imo, although they have better colors than your standard shrooms.

Well i noticed this morning that the flow seemed a little less than normal....kenya tree was a little shrivled up. Didnt take long to realize that the little eheim ph wasnt running! I pulled it out and shook it around a bit...seemed fine but still nothing, not even a buzzing. I proceeded to bang it on the desk and out popped two tiny ceriths! Pump works great again! :D

Well i noticed this morning that the flow seemed a little less than normal....kenya tree was a little shrivled up. Didnt take long to realize that the little eheim ph wasnt running! I pulled it out and shook it around a bit...seemed fine but still nothing, not even a buzzing. I proceeded to bang it on the desk and out popped two tiny ceriths! Pump works great again! :D

I've definitely had a few moments with that pump where it mysteriously wouldn't work and it turned out something had gotten up into it and clogged it up. Something may have been wrong with mine, separately though, because moving the wire around at the top was sometimes the trick to start her back up.

I like the Kenya Tree coral. Research suggests it's pretty easy to keep, maybe a good addition to my tank. Thoughts?

I've definitely had a few moments with that pump where it mysteriously wouldn't work and it turned out something had gotten up into it and clogged it up. Something may have been wrong with mine, separately though, because moving the wire around at the top was sometimes the trick to start her back up.

I like the Kenya Tree coral. Research suggests it's pretty easy to keep, maybe a good addition to my tank. Thoughts?

Thanks alfie, the Kenya Tree coral is prolific, like a weed. It frags itself at least once a month...but I think its beautiful. I got a small chunk that was shrivled and looking quite sad as a freebie from the guys at Alaska Coral Fanatics when i was in Anchorage awhile back. What an experience trying to bring corals and 2 fire shrimps back home on the airplane...first they wouldnt let me carry on the styrofoam box that the bags were in....then the plane got delayed :angry: If your interested, I would be willin to send you a decent sized frag from my Kenya(the one in my 28G, not this little one :) ), just have to cover shipping. I've got boxes, and packing materials. It would probably be fine without a heat pack but it probably wouldnt hurt. What kinda temps are we looking at where you are?

Thanks alfie, the Kenya Tree coral is prolific, like a weed. It frags itself at least once a month...but I think its beautiful. I got a small chunk that was shrivled and looking quite sad as a freebie from the guys at Alaska Coral Fanatics when i was in Anchorage awhile back. What an experience trying to bring corals and 2 fire shrimps back home on the airplane...first they wouldnt let me carry on the styrofoam box that the bags were in....then the plane got delayed :angry: If your interested, I would be willin to send you a decent sized frag from my Kenya(the one in my 28G, not this little one :) ), just have to cover shipping. I've got boxes, and packing materials. It would probably be fine without a heat pack but it probably wouldnt hurt. What kinda temps are we looking at where you are?

I'm sure travelling with a mysterious styrofoam box of living matter was ... not easy on a plane. Of course I'd cover shipping and that is incredible of you to offer! 10-day forecast is generally 68-70 deg Fahrenheit.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/02108

• 5 months later...

I am think thinking of doing a EcoPico with 4-5 LED Strips all 12k and 453 Blue, stock filter, and Rio 50. Do I need to order extra splitters? How well would this work? Deep Sand Bed of about 3.5 inches, the tank will probably be a frag tank with some sexy shrimp and a Frag rack that crosses the whole tank about halfway up. Any warnings? Any complaints? Regrets?

Plz PM response if any :D

So this pico has been running without any major issues, but i got tired of looking at the flat pedestal style of the aquascape :P....soo since i had some more LR sitting from my wal mart pico creation, I decided to redo this little work pico.

Refreshed on 11/20/2011 with

-New black aragalive sand

-New Fluval U2 filter---yeah pretty big but i suspect much better than the stock filter w/floss

-New Live Rock!

so there we go, shes starting over...since i will be out of town for a few weeks during december, I dont plan on really stocking this thing again until after the new year, so that will be a nice long cycle she gets ;)

IMG_20111121_124232.jpg

IMG_20111121_124215.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Any updates on the Ecopico? Im thinking of picking one up.

So the tank has been just sitting, receiving top offs since i rerocked the tank. I just recently added a small cuc from my other two tanks so things are looking cleaner each day. Once things warm up a bit around here ill pick out something small to add a bit of life.

IMG208.jpg

IMG205.jpg

IMG206.jpg

IMG207.jpg

Archived