SaltCritters.com

EcoPico 5 gallon LED reef build....Refreshed tank on page 6!

alaskan84

So, sorry to keep anyone chomping at the bit over the weekend. Didnt quite have as much time as I had thought....but the tank finally has some life in it, dropped the cuc in on friday...stopped in quickly to make sure they were fine on saturday and then left them until today. No deaths that I can see :) and the algae is noticibly getting mawed down! so these pics are from saturday the day after acclimation so they really hadnt started eating yet. More pics to come later this week.

IMG_4184.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

Closeup of my GHA field

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

Yes, finally ditched the sponge for floss!

IMG_4191.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hairy! :scarry:

Thankfully my blue leg hermits are fearless chompers! its amazing how much they have mowed down just over the weekend. I will try to get a couple more shots up tomorrow or the next day

So I took these shots yesterday before leaving work...the GHA field is nearly gone today!

IMG_4232.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

So I took these shots yesterday before leaving work...the GHA field is nearly gone today!

IMG_4232.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

Holy crap. That is incredible!

That's pretty amazing! Guess they were starving! :eek:

yeah and half of what you see left, is already gone today....barely a strand left on the bottom, and the shelf rock is starting to look white again!

Drift Monkey
yeah and half of what you see left, is already gone today....barely a strand left on the bottom, and the shelf rock is starting to look white again!

omgomgomg

Builder Anthony

Honestly that looks like a rock on a frag plug.Whats the deal with that thing?I could understand the flow but to me it just looks like a broken table or something.I think the flat rock is pretty descent for a few things but its like so steep in there.I hate to say all that but i would just place it flat up against the back wall.Myabe try and finnd some beter live rock that was probally taken and dried out at some point.That can be a good thing though at least its clean.

aww, I'm sorry that you dont like it anthony. Fortunately I do! I don't really see the rock on a frag plug that you mention, but I think that once it starts maturing it will look better and blend in more

I wish my hermits were as accomplished as yours! Darn micro hermies. They only like detrius in my tank..

yup, getting pretty excited here...i cant wait to start stocking it with some nice shrooms and zoas

yup, getting pretty excited here...i cant wait to start stocking it with some nice shrooms and zoas

+1 on HERMITS AND GHA DESTRUCTION! Looking great.

Will have some pics for you soon of my progress :D

So, I didnt have my camera at work today but right before i went to lunch I was doing a quick headcount and i noticed an empty hermit shell....damn i was thinking maybe he just couldnt handle it or got in a fight....then i was like wtf is this weird spider with a tail looking thing crawling on the rock! I realized that it was the hermit out of his shell just chillin on the plateau rock, fricking weird looking thing out of its shell for sure. I was a little worried but actually saw 1 claw remaining from a molt on the sand bed. I've read that they sometimes come out of their shells to molt and by the time I got back from lunch he had returned to his shell! I've also read most of the time a hermit out of its shell=sign of sever stress.....can anyone else confirm that?

• 2 weeks later...
So, I didnt have my camera at work today but right before i went to lunch I was doing a quick headcount and i noticed an empty hermit shell....damn i was thinking maybe he just couldnt handle it or got in a fight....then i was like wtf is this weird spider with a tail looking thing crawling on the rock! I realized that it was the hermit out of his shell just chillin on the plateau rock, fricking weird looking thing out of its shell for sure. I was a little worried but actually saw 1 claw remaining from a molt on the sand bed. I've read that they sometimes come out of their shells to molt and by the time I got back from lunch he had returned to his shell! I've also read most of the time a hermit out of its shell=sign of sever stress.....can anyone else confirm that?

so I placed an order with Mr. Coral today : Shrooms/Zoas/Palys

W^699 AMAZING BLUES

W^6752 THE REAL DEAL SUPERMAN!! SITES HAVE THESE LISTED FOR $50?

W^663 SWEET PALYS!!

W^65 REALLY REALLY NICE!!

T^162 REALLY NICE!!

T^1442 NUCLEAR DISASTER ZOAS

W^61 SIMPLY THE BEST

K^19 MC "GO SPIDEY GO" ZOAS

K^16 SPACE MONSTERS NEW RELEASE!!

K^17 CAPTAIN AMERICA SHROOM

B^48 UTTER-CHAOS SHROOM LIMIT 1

MM^130 I HAVE SEEN IT ALL PALYS

MM^98 NOT SURE BUT IT IS NICE!!

Few pink frags, few blue frags, few green frags....may not all fit into my little 5 gallon :)

so I placed an order with Mr. Coral today : Shrooms/Zoas/Palys

W^699 AMAZING BLUES

W^6752 THE REAL DEAL SUPERMAN!! SITES HAVE THESE LISTED FOR $50?

W^663 SWEET PALYS!!

W^65 REALLY REALLY NICE!!

T^162 REALLY NICE!!

T^1442 NUCLEAR DISASTER ZOAS

W^61 SIMPLY THE BEST

K^19 MC "GO SPIDEY GO" ZOAS

K^16 SPACE MONSTERS NEW RELEASE!!

K^17 CAPTAIN AMERICA SHROOM

B^48 UTTER-CHAOS SHROOM LIMIT 1

MM^130 I HAVE SEEN IT ALL PALYS

MM^98 NOT SURE BUT IT IS NICE!!

Few pink frags, few blue frags, few green frags....may not all fit into my little 5 gallon :)

itll look great when they all fill in the empty space

so far how do you like this tank. I have been doing alot of looking for a pico and i think im going to get one of these tanks. i would like to hear how everything is doing under the leds. the light is going to be the deciding factor for me.

I love the tank, the only thing its missing is an overflow box for surface skimming. I may one day upgrade to one of picoaquariums units so that I can have better filtration, but I would imagine I would keep the current ecoxotic lights that I am running. I am very confident that the 5 light strips myself and alfiefive are running, will keep any corals that are on our lists. if you want to go one step further, check out malibukay's tank...hes got a custom diy light that puts what alfie and I are running to shame :P

I love the tank, the only thing its missing is an overflow box for surface skimming. I may one day upgrade to one of picoaquariums units so that I can have better filtration, but I would imagine I would keep the current ecoxotic lights that I am running. I am very confident that the 5 light strips myself and alfiefive are running, will keep any corals that are on our lists. if you want to go one step further, check out malibukay's tank...hes got a custom diy light that puts what alfie and I are running to shame :P

haha thank you, but your setup along with alfie's are just as nice :D

Did you get all your mrcoral stuff from the $10 section or something else? His site never shows anything available other than the $10 section for me, so I was curious. Excited to see the product.

That definitely sounds like Mr. Coral's $10 section.

Yup, ive never ordered from Mr. Coral before, and have read some sorta unsettling things on different forums lately. Figured I would give them a shot, only $130.00 so we will see how it goes...hell i've paid more than that trying to ship some things up here.

Archived