Pod Your Reef

EcoPico 5 gallon LED reef build....Refreshed tank on page 6!

alaskan84

Hello Everyone, I have had my eco-pico for a couple weeks now, just had time this weekend to set it up. Ive seen a few other threads with people talking about them, but only saw one other ecopico build thread, and it hadnt been updated since he started it.

- 5 Gallon rimless all glass EcoPico from EcoXotic.

- (2) EcoPico LED Strip, 12K White/453nm Blue

- (1)EcoPico LED Strip, 453nm Blue

- Ive got the 4 way splitter for the additional LED's, but now realize I need a seperate power supply for the single blue strip so it can turn on in the evening only.

- maybe 1.5 lbs of brs shelf rock

- maybe 1.5 - 2 lbs of brs dry tonga branch

- maybe 3-5 lbs of live sand (black and white aragalive)

- Eheim very small flexable heater that I have under the gravel (unsure of how well it will keep temp up)

- Eheim very small powerhead I had lying around

- factory underwater filter with foam insert

I do plan on sticking some black felt on the rear of the tank glass so the cabling is a little more hidden. Overall I love the look, and with the 2 additional led strips the light is Oh So Bright, and i'm fairly certain its gonna sustain a small reef. I am planning on possibly upgrading the stock filter, but dont really want anything hanging off the side of this neat little cube. Any advice or tips? I am planning on mostly softies, shrooms, zoas etc and maybe a shrimp and fish....who knows maybe inverts only, i'm just not sure yet. Since I just started it yesterday its still a bit cloudy. since my 28 gallon led at home is doing so well, I plan on following the same steps, basically not mess with it for about a month besides top offs. Then do a good water change and start checking parameters. Please excuse the cameraphone pics, they tend to exagerate some of the colors

****OLD PIC*****

Updated FTS : 5/12/2011 @ 4:50pm (full daylight mode)

IMG_439101.jpg

Here is a new picture showing how things have changed since the new rockscape....just added a few snails this week(yeah its been awhile without any livestock at all) looks quite a bit cleaner now

IMG208.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dailydriven911

Looks great! I'm also going this route and placing my order this week. How is the overall craftmanship of the tank, light, etc? Are you happy with the choice of color combo for the leds? I was thinking of doing the same color combo as well. When things clear up get a better pic with a decent camera! :)

Thanks daily, the overall craftsmanship looks to be wonderful. I cant really comment on the included underwater filter yet, but I must reccomend the extra lights. If your doing freshwater then the single led strip will work, but i def reccomend doubling the mixed light strip and getting a single actinic strip on a seperate timer, the color combo looks fab, but I cant comment on the actual PAR of these leds. I have an Rebel T1i at home, and I will definatly snap new pictures in a day or two when it clears up

This is my first post here (Hi!), and WOW, it's like you are me, but a few weeks early. I have the same tank arriving today with the exact same light specs. I was expecting that I would have an issue with the "switch" they described for the LED strips. I would be thrilled to see how you worked out getting an actinic-only cycle without (hopefully) removing any of the LEDs from the strips.

Tank looks great! The rock-on-a-pedestal type scheme is fun and will make for nice presentation of the face of that rock. I'll post details of my setup once it gets underway!

This is my first post here (Hi!), and WOW, it's like you are me, but a few weeks early. I have the same tank arriving today with the exact same light specs. I was expecting that I would have an issue with the "switch" they described for the LED strips. I would be thrilled to see how you worked out getting an actinic-only cycle without (hopefully) removing any of the LEDs from the strips.

Tank looks great! The rock-on-a-pedestal type scheme is fun and will make for nice presentation of the face of that rock. I'll post details of my setup once it gets underway!

So i just bit the bullet and ordered another 12v power supply, another splitter, an additional single blue strip, and 2 additional White only strips. possible new plan:

dawn time-run two strips with blue and white mixed lighting

DAY-with testing first, just run two white only led strips

dusk time- run the same two strips with blue and white mixed

NIGHT- plan on running two strips of full blue led's.

Now i currently only have one little marineland analog timer, and I am still debating on how to set this all up. I currently have a reefkeeper elite on my 28 gallon jbj nanocube at home and its pretty much just running my lights and PH's/pumps...maybe I should just pick up the reefkeeper lite for this little pico.Since this pico is at work with me, and I am a server admin in the tech department, I think it would be cool to have this little guy networked with a .net module so I may order the reefkeeper lite for my 28 gallon at home, purchase the .net module and move it with the reefkeeper elite, but then i keep thinking to myself that a reefkeeper with .net module is way too overkill for such a small office pico. what is everyones thoughts?

Updated shot with Diatoms BABY! Yeah!

IMG_20110303_115045.jpg

So i just bit the bullet and ordered another 12v power supply, another splitter, an additional single blue strip, and 2 additional White only strips. possible new plan:

This is more or less what I was thinking about doing. I was going to get another power supply and was thinking I should just get another splitter and some more lights. Are you going to just mount the additional LEDs on the non-carved-out part of the light fixture? It doesn't seem to get hot AT ALL, so it might be a good idea.

Looks great :D

Edit, make sure to forward that interoffice mail ASAP

This is more or less what I was thinking about doing. I was going to get another power supply and was thinking I should just get another splitter and some more lights. Are you going to just mount the additional LEDs on the non-carved-out part of the light fixture? It doesn't seem to get hot AT ALL, so it might be a good idea.

Looks great :D

Edit, make sure to forward that interoffice mail ASAP

Looks like youve got the right idea as well alfie. I made the same conclusion that it really creates no heat at all(or at least does a great job of dissipating it). Once my order arrives I'll have two white only strips, two blue only strips, and two mixed strips, two 4 way splitters and three power adapters, so we will see how I decide to mish mash things together. Its obvious that only 5 strips will fit on the light fixture parallell. I may make the 6th strip go horizontally across the end of the light fixture, as it looks wide enough to get enough bite with the sticky tape..... A big question I have is how the look will change running JUST the white strips, versus the white/blue that I am currently running.

Nice catch on the interoffice mail...it was my per diem check from my last trip...I'll be a bad office member and file the used mailer in my droor next to the other 10-12 of them ive stockpiled

What model eheim powerhead is that in the lower left? It's the perfect size to fill out any dead zones on this tank.

What model eheim powerhead is that in the lower left? It's the perfect size to fill out any dead zones on this tank.

I'm not actually sure, and it was included in one of the many misc junk boxes that came along with the 120 gallon reef tank i bought about a month ago. I will see if I can read the model here in a minute.

I have a question regarding the stock filter/pump that you can see on the right of the picture. The bottom of the unit detaches and houses a small rectangular chunk of black foam. Would it be better to keep the foam in there and rinse it periodically, or replace it with floss and change every few days? The filter floss I use(100% polyester fiber) seems to really polish the water well in my 28 gallon.

Does anyone have any ideas for skimming on this bad boy? since the cables and light fixture pretty much take up the rear of this thing, what else could i do for skimming? I really dont want a big HOB, hanging off the side. Maybe there wont even be a need for a skimmer.....

I havent even looked at the model yet, but with a quick google search, this appears to be visually the same as mine

Eheim Powerhead

EDIT: looking at the powerhead, the writing on the label has rubbed off and is not readable, but it def looks identicle to the one I linked above. I guess I am lucky this thing even works considering it was in a junk box...not really sure what it would have been used for in a 120 gallon though :)

Thanks for the details on the powerhead. It's cheap. I like it.

I'm afraid to change the black foam in my filter because I am unsure of how many beneficial things it would remove / whether it would trigger a cycle, mostly because the tank is so small. I had the same thought as you / would love to see other opinions.

I'm not going to use a skimmer, and hopefully no hang-on fuge. I don't feel like going through the hassle/losing the visual appeal of modding a hang-on filter that will require additional lighting and potentially overflow onto my desk if the construction crew knocks out my power :P I think simply getting the lighting on the main tank is enough of a project!

I may DIY a small, attractive in-tank media basket to put some macro in, but may just hide some chaeto in a lip of the rock (your rock is probably perfect for hiding things with that shelf-style).

Thanks for the details on the powerhead. It's cheap. I like it.

I'm afraid to change the black foam in my filter because I am unsure of how many beneficial things it would remove / whether it would trigger a cycle, mostly because the tank is so small. I had the same thought as you / would love to see other opinions.

I'm not going to use a skimmer, and hopefully no hang-on fuge. I don't feel like going through the hassle/losing the visual appeal of modding a hang-on filter that will require additional lighting and potentially overflow onto my desk if the construction crew knocks out my power :P I think simply getting the lighting on the main tank is enough of a project!

I may DIY a small, attractive in-tank media basket to put some macro in, but may just hide some chaeto in a lip of the rock (your rock is probably perfect for hiding things with that shelf-style).

Yup, I think the eheim powerhead is a great addition to this little setup. I think I am definatly going to swap the foam for regular filter floss changes. I wouldnt worry too much about removing the foam affecting the cycle at all. As long as youve got a decent amount of live rock, I bet that sponge isnt doing anything except grabbing some of the larger partices.

Since the chaeto in my 28 gallon seems to double almost every 2 weeks, I'll definatly be tossing a chunk in this pico. The rest of my lighting should be in sometime mid week so I will update more then.

Yup, I think the eheim powerhead is a great addition to this little setup. I think I am definatly going to swap the foam for regular filter floss changes. I wouldnt worry too much about removing the foam affecting the cycle at all. As long as youve got a decent amount of live rock, I bet that sponge isnt doing anything except grabbing some of the larger partices.

Since the chaeto in my 28 gallon seems to double almost every 2 weeks, I'll definatly be tossing a chunk in this pico. The rest of my lighting should be in sometime mid week so I will update more then.

Sounds good.

/s ecopico club

following along, i also ordered this a couple weeks ago, and have yet to set mine up, i was thinking maybe contacting ecoxotic and asking if they would sell another light fixture by itself, ill let you guys know!

following along, i also ordered this a couple weeks ago, and have yet to set mine up, i was thinking maybe contacting ecoxotic and asking if they would sell another light fixture by itself, ill let you guys know!

So update, I contacted Ecoxotic and received an email back stating, they will be selling just the light fixtures by themselves within the next 2 weeks. I also asked about the par level and what these LEDs can support. They answered back stating that 3 led strips can support corals and even some sps. The rep. said they have quite a few people who have these set up and have no problem with keeping coral. Hopfullu that's the case.

Cool tank. How do those LED strips actually mount to the aluminum frame? Could we see a shot with the glass top in place? Same kind of metal clips as ADA tanks? And did it come with a rubber mat to sit it on? I'm always hesitant to sit a rimless tank down without one.

Sorry for all the questions, no close by shops have them to check out myself.

Cool tank. How do those LED strips actually mount to the aluminum frame? Could we see a shot with the glass top in place? Same kind of metal clips as ADA tanks? And did it come with a rubber mat to sit it on? I'm always hesitant to sit a rimless tank down without one.

Sorry for all the questions, no close by shops have them to check out myself.

The LEDs have sticky on the back that they secure with, the lid has little plastic holders, and no it dosnt come with a mat unfortunately haha

The LEDs have sticky on the back that they secure with, the lid has little plastic holders, and no it dosnt come with a mat unfortunately haha

Yup, the top was actually broken when it arrived, and I am still waiting on a replacement to arrive from ecoxotic...but it is on the way. There is a thin felt mat that is adhered to the bottom of the tank.

sooo, ive got a little problem. The extra small flat flexible heater that I stuck under the gravel dosent seem to be doing much at all. My average temperature has been about 70-72 which i think is too cold. What alternative heater would everyone reccomend? I've heard of some flexible heater tape that maybe I could stick to the back of the tank? I'd really like to avoid having another item visible inside the tank but that may be unavoidable.

What is the length of the led strips?

I dont have a ruler handy, but its almost exactly the length of a standard BIC pen with the cap on. ;)

Well I'm getting excited, my reefkeeper lite w/net module should arrive tomorrow, and then I will begin hooking up my additional light strips. I still havent done a single water test on this tank, just top offs so far. The diatoms have been fading for at least a week now, and the base rock is looking nice and clean again. There are a couple patches of GHA that have started on the bottom sand bed, which is a sign that I am getting closer to CUC time.(yes I will test before adding any cuc members) I think I will swap out the 3 little pieces of live rock that I have on the sand bed for a couple more choice pieces out of my 28 gallon to help bring in some copepods. Would it be wise to add a small chunk of chaeto in the tank at this point? Since i have GHA, I figure chaeto would do just as well.

Could you measure the dimensions of the light fixture over the tank? I'd like to know how much room there is for lighting modifications if I wanted to have more control than the stock LEDs.

Could you measure the dimensions of the light fixture over the tank? I'd like to know how much room there is for lighting modifications if I wanted to have more control than the stock LEDs.

so you are looking for just the dimensions of the aluminum fixture? I'll get some measurements here shortly

Archived