ReefCleaners.org

The "Mini" World! PIX!(rimless 10g build)

Mini-Dude

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know what I think about all the tanks you've mentioned? I think they're all awesome. I think every single tank style I've ever seen could be an amazing reef tank. It has NOTHING to do with the tank size or style. I've owned 7 tanks: an AIO, a 10g standard, 5g hex, 2 custom starfires, a 40b, and now a 3g pico. I could have made every single one of them TOTM with some patience. The tank you get won't matter for ####. Your reefing ability gathered from research and patience is all that will matter in having a successful tank. So far, I haven't seen you putting much effort into those two areas that matter.

word

This is final. I am going with a 20 long and having it divided into a double peninsula.

It will be divided into 2 parts. A display(17 gallons) and a fuge(3 gallons).

The division will have my filter media, pumps, and overflow.

The display will have 2 Par30 bulbs(3b,2w) and the fuge side will have 1 Par 30(all white).

Im pretty sure it wont cost more than the NC but I'm still figuring it.

Thanks for all the help guys! I will let you know when I'm buying. Feel free to give coments or suggestions.

Thanks, Mini-Dude

MD, what the #### are you actually wavering on? If you don't know what you want, research and read until you do. Stop asking questions about tanks. I swear, one more stupid question and I'm putting you on ignore.

y u mad tho.

So what do y'all think of my idea instead of dissing me?

You're probably going to change your mind again... I'm betting on it.

You're probably going to change your mind again... I'm betting on it.

This time I'm not. I've been looking at this kind of thing for a while and I love andru24's idea of a double peninsula. Do you think its a cool idea? It will be going in a bedroom.

Wow 50 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomg omgomgomg :happydance: :happydance: omgomgomg What a ride!!!!!!!!

Deleted User 6
You know what I think about all the tanks you've mentioned? I think they're all awesome.

I'm out now. Good luck. I'll be back when you've purchased a setup.

The display will be roughly 16 or so gallons. I will have 14lbs of dry rock to start out with and 2lbs of live rock to seed it. Stocking plans for the display are; 1x pair of regular O's or misbar O's, 1x Randall shrimp goby, and maybe one other fish. Suggestions? Inverts will be; 1x Candy Stripe pistol, 2x Skunk cleaners, and a crab of some sort.

The display refugium will be roughly 4 gallons. It will have a DSB with around 2pbs of live rock. It will be stocked with all different kinds of macro algeas. Stocking for that will be 2x Barnicle Blennies, and 3x Srxy Shrimp, and maybe a crab.

Lighting for display will be a 24" FishNeedIt 4bulb fixture and lighting for display fuge will be 1x BoostLED Par30 bulb all white.

What do yall suggest for a return pump?

If you want to see the basic design plans you can check out andru24's 15g double peninsula tank thread. It will not be excactly like that, I will tweak it the way I want it. I don't want to be know as the copy cat.

Any comments or suggestions for this setup?

Thanks, MD

Personally wouldn't put LR with a DSB, too much room for detritus to accumulate on top of the bed and not enough benefit to justify it :)

Honestly I'd just ditch the second lot of LR. A DSB will, the majority of the time, be much more beneficial in a small volume system than rock will.

I have a fluval edge that's got freshwater right now, but I'm going to convert it. I'm building a cabinet this summer when i have more time, and it's going to have 3 chambers to act as a sump/fuge. I'm going to use Sweetwater epoxy paint to coat the interior of the cabinet, so that it will all be waterproof, and condensation won't be an issue. I'll probably put an ATO down there too. I'm going to drill the acrylic rim and outfit an overflow and return that will not be visible (or barely visible) in the display.

Here is a drawing of the cabinet that I did in sketch up. The upper chamber will be for a skimmer/fiter/heater. The lower two will be a the return and refugium. I'll put the overflow from the top chamber directly into the return side, so that I can control the flow through the fuge, or eliminate it completely. I'll probably do this with a branch off of the return line and a valve.

saltwater%20cab.jpg

Honestly I'd just ditch the second lot of LR. A DSB will, the majority of the time, be much more beneficial in a small volume system than rock will.

Can macros be put in the sand?

I have a fluval edge that's got freshwater right now, but I'm going to convert it. I'm building a cabinet this summer when i have more time, and it's going to have 3 chambers to act as a sump/fuge. I'm going to use Sweetwater epoxy paint to coat the interior of the cabinet, so that it will all be waterproof, and condensation won't be an issue. I'll probably put an ATO down there too. I'm going to drill the acrylic rim and outfit an overflow and return that will not be visible (or barely visible) in the display.

Here is a drawing of the cabinet that I did in sketch up. The upper chamber will be for a skimmer/fiter/heater. The lower two will be a the return and refugium. I'll put the overflow from the top chamber directly into the return side, so that I can control the flow through the fuge, or eliminate it completely. I'll probably do this with a branch off of the return line and a valve.

saltwater%20cab.jpg

Random much? :lol: but really, start a new thread, I dont think you will get anything here :lol:
Can macros be put in the sand?

Ideally no, but yes. Just needs to be a deeper bed. Though you're probably better off using a proven macro like Chaeto if you've got access to it. It's a lot safer.

Ok then I think I'm gonna do just a regular sand bed with rock cause I want like 4-5 types of different macros. Do you think putting a feather duster in the fuge would be doable or just have one in the display?

Ok, I'll just pop in from time to time with random ideas.

In the meantime, I'll take this to the fluval edge thread. I see there is one.

Seriously clicking ignore next time theres a ? that hasn't been searched before hand, posted in the correct forum, & so forth...

One last time & in this order.

SEARCH!!! OR YOU WILL RECEIVE NO HELP!!!

LEARN.

READ THREADS.

LEARN.

ASK QUESTIONS. (REFERENCING WHAT YOU LEARNED & BASING THE QUESTIONS ON IT.)

LEARN.

DON'T IGNORE THE ANSWERS GIVEN, TO YOUR QUESTION.

LEARN.

FIND OUT WHY YOU WHERE GIVEN THOSE ANSWER'S.

LEARN.

ONCE YOU MAKE IT THIS FAR PEOPLE WILL START TO HELP YOU AGAIN. MAYBE.

NOTE THAT. THE ONLY TWO THINGS HAPPENING IN THIS PROCESS, ARE RESEARCHING & LEARNING. YOUR SYSTEM SET UP & SELECTION IS IRRELEVANT. UNLESS YOUR HAVE TAKING THE TIME TO LEARN THE SKILLS TO NOT MURDER YOUR LIVESTOCK. ONCE YOU BEGIN THIS PROCESS YOU ARE A NOOB, UNTIL THEN YOU ARE ON IGNORE. PROBLEM IS NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW YOU'VE MADY IT TO AT LEAST BEING A NOOB. SINCE NO ONE CAN SEE YOUR POSTS.

I WILL GIVE YOU THIS LAST BIT OF ADVICE.

SPEND THE TIME THAT YOU WOULD NORMALLY BE POSTING, READING WETWEBMEDIA. THEN WHEN YOU HAVE READ IT ALL COME & LET US KNOW WHAT YOU LEARNED.

UNTIL THEN.

DON'T SPEAK UNLESS IT IMPROVES THE SILENCE.

Archived