Innovative Marine Aquariums

The "Mini" World! PIX!(rimless 10g build)

Mini-Dude

Personally.. The Blenny. They are very cool fish and have great personalities. I also could not see myself buying a fish that one day could turn on me and devour some coral. Not to mention the fact that i would have no place to put it until i could get rid of it, which is a hassle in and of itself.

Go with a starry blenny. God those things are freaking awesome.

yeah they are relly cool but dont they get really agressive?

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah they are relly cool but dont they get really agressive?

Meh... Not really. They only get super aggressive towards their own kind unless they are a mated pair.. And towards other fish that share similar colors and body shape/structure. With the other fish on your list I would say there's nothing to worry about.

The starry blenny is a peaceful fish unless situations arise like i mentioned above.

god I hate hospitals! I just got treatment for my Crohn's and it took 6 hours!!!!!!!! :haha: It was not fun and it hurt. Then I cant do anything for the next couple of days. No going outside or anything :sigh: :shrug:

Have yall ever had to do something like that?

animalmaster6

The Cherub is very dangerous to corals. It also needs lots of swimming room. A blenny would be a much better option but I wouldn't recommend the Starry. Starry Blennies can be aggressive towards fishes of similar size, not just species.

Of I wanted to go the angel route would a flameback be better in this ittuation? What kind of Blenny do u recommend?

animalmaster6

All pygmy angels are a risk with corals. It's best to have them in larger reefs IMO.

I recommend Tailspot Blennies and other blennies of the genus Escenius.

Meh. If cherub is dangerous for corals, then my maculosus would be like a nuke. And he doesn't even touch a ting. In my opinion get the cherub. Very low risk.

I'm the angelfish guy anyway.

Hi MD, I'm a little new here. So there isn't exactly a tank in this thread right? :D I'm really not trying to be a jerk either. Scanned through some pages and found nothing lol.

Lol you are new? You joined in 07? :P

This is a place holder thread for my future tank. If you skimm through the first like 7pages you will find good info. After that the info is mixed in with shenanigans. You are welcome to join in but I ask that you don't ridicule the pope that have already posted in this thread.

Thanks, MD

Question, I have still been kicking around the idea of a 40b with a 20g sump. I don't know what I would need to get it started. I know I need, the 40, the 20, an overflow (from where?), substrate (how many lbs?), dry rock(40 lbs from PA), a pump( recommended brand), heater(Jäger don't know what wattage), powerhead(looking at Korolia just dont know which one, lights(looking at either T5 or Par 38 tank, opinions?), fuge light(I have no clue), live rock and substrate for fuge, a skimmer(what brand?).

I know it's a lot. But what else do I need? I feel like I'm missing something. Can anyone help?

Thanks, MD

Wait, why are ppl ridiculing the Pope??

I don't understand this, WHAT is with all of the racism???

Ugh.

Also, sorry bout the hospital crap.

Cheapreef27
Question, I have still been kicking around the idea of a 40b with a 20g sump. I don't know what I would need to get it started. I know I need, the 40, the 20, an overflow (from where?), substrate (how many lbs?), dry rock(40 lbs from PA), a pump( recommended brand), heater(Jäger don't know what wattage), powerhead(looking at Korolia just dont know which one, lights(looking at either T5 or Par 38 tank, opinions?), fuge light(I have no clue), live rock and substrate for fuge, a skimmer(what brand?).

I know it's a lot. But what else do I need? I feel like I'm missing something. Can anyone help?

Thanks, MD

Probably 40lbs of substrate, a 200 watt heater (50 wats per 10g), Koralia 2. Thats all i have in my barebones tank, plus my coralife 2 bulb tank T5 lights. You're gonna want at least a 4 bulb T5 with a 40. Ill try to look at lighting, but what are the measurements for a 40'. Also, i know alot of people like the intank led light for the fuge.

Whats your budget for lighting?

Probably 40lbs of substrate, a 200 watt heater (50 wats per 10g), Koralia 2. Thats all i have in my barebones tank, plus my coralife 2 bulb tank T5 lights. You're gonna want at least a 4 bulb T5 with a 40. Ill try to look at lighting, but what are the measurements for a 40'. Also, i know alot of people like the intank led light for the fuge.

Whats your budget for lighting?

Would 40 lbs of substrate get me 2-3 in sand bed? If I go this route I would have 3 shrimp gobies. Do people have succes with putting Par38's on their 40b? How do they hang them?

My budget for lighting is around $200 even less thow.

Weet, I have to go there like very month for treatment so I've gotten used to it but it stil hurts and makes me angry that j have to do it. I wish God would heal me right now so I dont have to go to the hospital ever again.

RayWhisperer

MD, quit asking so many questions when you can just search for them.

Go here

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/

Read pretty much everything. There is a lot of really good info there. Once you are finished, you'll probably have a better idea on how to approach this whole thing. You are bouncing back and forth on everything. Tank, lights, pumps, stocking. You really need to make a basic plan and stick to it. Fine tuning can come later.

K was doing my home work I just wanted to know yalls opinion.

CR, evill66 says that the odyseas are a piece of junk. So yeah

Cheapreef27

D you expect them to come close to the 400 dollar fixtures that you see in the TOTM's? No, but for a starter, from the experiences I have heard, they arent't bad, just upgrade the T5 bulbs, not that big a problom, ive only read his review on the 4 bulb T5 fixture though, so im just throwing ideas out there...

Cheapreef27
What a out fish need it?

Could go that route too. A 30" 4 bulb is $110, with 4 24watt bulbs, so another economical choice, without the dubious reputation odysea apparently has

In the 4b would this stock list work?

1x pair or O clowns

1x Randall goby

1x Yellow watchman goby

1x Midas Blenny

1x Spotted mandarin

2x Banggi Cardinals

1x 6-line Wrasse

Is this possible for that size tank?

Thanks, MD

Archived