Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The "Mini" World! PIX!(rimless 10g build)

Mini-Dude

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read through your entire thread to know if you could go without a top but if you are able to go rimless I saw a pretty sweet ADA set up for sale on here recently.

I like the ten for a sump to start, since they always have them & its cheap.

The 15 would be good long term. But is hard to find at the $/gallon sale.

As to size remember its you tank, therefore your call. Just factor in the cost to maintain.

so you have a couple options which do you think is going to make it easiest to build the environment you looking for. which build will you be most successful attempting. Example, if you don't think you can drill safely then don't try it yet. You can always do it on the next one. like D told you before you can make any of these tanks successful. It just takes understanding. Between the double & an all in one cube I think the double might be more fun.

Cheapreef27
hob fuge

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_AquaFuge_2_...-FIRFEB-vi.html

good example of drilling. I would say that this in a 15 or 29 would be best. but a ten is super simple to run. limiting but way easy to keep up.

use a ten for the sump with one baffle to keep the water line stable for the skimmer. then add a sump with the fuge later. drilling the tank & setting it up like this would run about 30 dollars. ruffly. then @ the $/gallon sale get a 29 & a 10. total cost figure 80. with equipment pump heater & such 200. then lights & skimmer. so yeah the double would be cheaper.

14H, a little bit bigget than the 10, so you get that added stability, with the same setups available as with the 10g

to tall since even in a ten you end up having to elevate the skimmer. much more than what you have to do in a ten & you can't fit it in a stand.

Lee Van Reef

Drilling a tank is not nearly as difficult as some people make it seem. I put 4 holes in my 40 breeder within 10 minutes without any cracking or chipping. As a extra precaution when throwing the bulkheads on I put a big glob of silicone on each one between the gasket and the tank. Sure they are permanent now, but they have held amazingly.

Plumbing is not difficult at all. Once you get the fittings, (which might take a few trips to the hardware store as people, me included, always forget that one key fitting lol) and the pvc, its just a matter of cutting and gluing. For the return it can be a simple flexible pipe.

Ultimately, it gives you a lot of room to work with, as you can put a good skimmer and a nice big fuge without compromising your display. The extra cost, in this hobby at least, is marginal, because in the long run you will appreciate the extra flexibility.

A 20 long display and a 10 gallon or 20long sump would be great.

You've gotten alot of great advice here and like it has been stated earlier, you can make any of these tanks successful, it just takes understanding.

P.S.I wish I new this much about aquariums in middleschool, I would have had more time to set something up before heading off to college now lol

I would say that you'll wan't a tank that can have a lid.

regardless.

That's what I was thinking.

to tall since even in a ten you end up having to elevate the skimmer. much more than what you have to do in a ten & you can't fit it in a stand.

Wut?

Cheapreef27

Wait, im confused. I was reccomending a 14 for a display, are you saying it would not be a good choice for a sump, cause I do agree with that.

Drilling a tank is not nearly as difficult as some people make it seem. I put 4 holes in my 40 breeder within 10 minutes without any cracking or chipping. As a extra precaution when throwing the bulkheads on I put a big glob of silicone on each one between the gasket and the tank. Sure they are permanent now, but they have held amazingly.

Plumbing is not difficult at all. Once you get the fittings, (which might take a few trips to the hardware store as people, me included, always forget that one key fitting lol) and the pvc, its just a matter of cutting and gluing. For the return it can be a simple flexible pipe.

Ultimately, it gives you a lot of room to work with, as you can put a good skimmer and a nice big fuge without compromising your display. The extra cost, in this hobby at least, is marginal, because in the long run you will appreciate the extra flexibility.

A 20 long display and a 10 gallon or 20long sump would be great.

You've gotten alot of great advice here and like it has been stated earlier, you can make any of these tanks successful, it just takes understanding.

P.S.I wish I new this much about aquariums in middleschool, I would have had more time to set something up before heading off to college now lol

I would have my LFS drill my tank and I would plumb it. I got into the aquarium word about a year and a half ago and know a lot about FW tanks and I'm still learning SW. What do you think about the 30b 20sump?
Lee Van Reef
I would have my LFS drill my tank and I would plumb it. I got into the aquarium word about a year and a half ago and know a lot about FW tanks and I'm still learning SW. What do you think about the 30b 20sump?

Its a great combo, but remember that the more sizes you jump, the more the overall cost. Ive spent 600+ on my 40 breeder and I still need about 600 more in equipment before I want to put anything in it. On my ten gallon, Ive spent about 200 bucks and it can keep almost anything besides SPS.

Look into operating costs as well, as a larger tank takes more to maintain.

If you have the space and money isn't an object, go with the biggest tank you can accommodate, imo.

Lee Van Reef

You should probably stick with the 20 long or a 29 gallon, which just adds some height ,although you will need some better lighting at that point to accommodate the same corals you could have kept in a 20 long with inferior lighting.

Lee Van Reef

Dimensions. 30 breeder is 36 inches long and 18 wide. You would need a better light and a wider one at that.

After thinking about it though, it probably wouldn't be a big difference. Anyone would work really.

Archived