Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

Any recommendations on which ballast to choose. I want to pick the best ballast for a double ended 250 watt bulb. I'm using Phoenix 14ks but may switch down the line to 20ks of some variety.

I'm thinking lumatek dimmable e ballast.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the insane good deal that pacific east has right now and it is so tempting but can't right now. Mated pair of flame wrasses for $199.99 (for the pair). That's an awesome deal.

Got all the sand (as much as I could) transferred to the tank. It has been sitting wet in a brute trash can for a couple weeks without heat so it will cycle again. I added 20 gallons of saltwater, a heater, and a powerhead to get the ball rolling. I will pick up some more water and move over some cycled rock to the tank when it gets up to temperature. I plan on leaving the fish in the 40 until the 75 is nice and cycled. If I have to I can pick some of my corals back up and transfer them to the 40 until the 75 is ready to go.

Builder Anthony

I used to have a 75 but im in a apt now.They are a nice size tank.At least you have a nice light stand i had a 400 watt metal halide zap me.I dont know though i had mine on my floor.My freind would awalys ask why id set up my tank on my floor i guess i just like looking at it from the top and it just flet like a little tideppol cause it was down low.Differnt in its own way.I was awalys worried about like a stand breaking.I get over parinoid though.ZHaveing a 40 and 75 must be great.

I'm picking up the calcium reactor setup on the way home from work today. First time using a calcium reactor so this should be exciting and the rewards should be even more exciting.

Picked up the calcium reactor setup. Great deal on it and its never touched water.

So tempted by pacific east now that they have that mated pair of flame wrasses on sale for $179. That's a steal.

I'm holding off on fish for a bit. I want to make sure the tank is stable first and I'm not looking to add fish right now. We are home shopping at the moment so I figure why stress the fish I buy with a possible move in the next months.

I need to pick up some water tonight so I can move some rock over. I also need to get some PVC and elbows so I can make a skimmer stand. I may pick up a ph probe for the apex so I can monitor tank pH and control the calcium reactor pH with a separate probe.

I'm holding off on fish for a bit. I want to make sure the tank is stable first and I'm not looking to add fish right now. We are home shopping at the moment so I figure why stress the fish I buy with a possible move in the next months.

home shopping? nice -- where are you looking?

Damit Steeley, I have not checked in for a while and was like what happend to the 150 made me go back to the first post to make sure I was in the right thread.

Now I have to go back a couple pages and catch up.

good luck with the 75

gg

Looking in the west end for a home. We are trying to stay out in short pump.

Not a problem GG. This is on the rise now. All my corals are being treated for red bugs at the moment at other friends homes. I added all the rock to the tank and another twenty gallons of water. I just need to add some water and aquascape. Still need to work on some equipment but this will be nice when I'm done.

Looks like I will go ahead and order the ballasts tonight. I'm going to order ice cap 250 watt ballasts. They seem to get great feedback. I know they are out of business so warranty will not be effective but they have a good rep in terms of quality.

why icecap over lumatek/galaxy? is the price that much better?

unless you were getting the icecap for a pretty substantial discount, i'd be nervous about the zero warranty vs. 5 years warranty with the others.

phi delt reefer
Just picked them because of their good rep and other peoples experiences with their ballasts.

vertex ballasts are re-branded ice cap units. pick up their units - usually the same price but will have a warranty.

I ordered the ice cap ballasts. I'll use the existing ballasts in the mean time. Soon as the new ones arrive I will rewire the fixture and mount the ballasts to the inside of the stand. That will give me enough room to run the biopellet reactor, calcium reactor and hopefully co2 tank. I may keep it lights out until the new ballasts arrive.

I finished filling the tank tonight, building the skimmer stand and plumbing the tank. The skimmer runs great now with the stand (no overflowing). I have the return line to the sump running thru a filter sock for now to clean up the water a bit. I will hook up the probes and ato this weekend.

Here's a sump shot with my ghetto fabulous skimmer stand (eggcrate, zip ties, and PVC). Please excuse the wiring for now.

ae052ad2.jpg

8e069b20.jpg

Just glad it's all running now. Aquascaping on tap on Sunday.

Amazing what an hour with a skimmer and a filter sock can do for you. Water clarity is so much better now even in the dark. Doing it right is paying off.

I still have some work to do on the rock and setting up more equipment as soon as my new ice cap ballasts get here. Here it is today.

392c65fd.jpg

2c76055e.jpg

e78e0dd3.jpg

Wow. Looks great man. Good looking fixture.

I agree that making one of the islands a little larger will look fantastic. I can't want for you to stock this thing back up it's going to look insane!

Archived