SaltCritters.com

Jeffro's biocube 14 resurrection

19jeffro83

The toxic stew that will soon be my seahorse macro tank.

1c4182fc.jpg

I left water in my biocube to keep the sand live. With much neglect this is the beginning of a long clean up before this tank will be ready. I plan on taking it nice and slow. I want to set up a macro tank and eventually get a pair of seahorses and a pipefish as well as a pair of emporer shrimp. Do you think the stock lighting will do for this tank and should I just clean the whole thing out and start over? I already placed two pieces of lace rock that I seeded in my 50 b sump. What's your opinions?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my tank is clearing up pretty good. Still cycling added more rock so I'm expecting it to take another few weeks before cuc. Been reading into the horses and I don't think the tanks big enough for anything but dwarf seahorses and I don't feel like putting all that work into them at all. Anyone have any other suggestions on what might like a macro tank of this size. I really like sea horses and pipe fish. And I'm not really sure what other unique options I have.

Dont know what size tank is needed but I have always liked the frogfish and anglers and I think there are dwarf species.

Good luck

Thanks GG. I was checkin them out as well. I think they need more like 20-30 gal min. That would be an awesome idea if it could work. Maybe I have to go mantis.

I mite do sexies. I was also thinking of emporer shrimp. I have a ton of inverts in my 50 already. That's why I was wanting to do something I couldn't put in there that likes macros.

animalmaster6

You need to do something exotic :D

How about a small scorpionfish? Maybe one of the dwarf species.

Seahorses are always a fun option. Encorporate some Blue-Striped Pipefish in there.

Coral Crocher?

Brotula?

Do you think these fish would be ok in a 14 gal? I'd like to go with the horses. But my reading says the tank is too small for a pair.

The lighting should be fine for plants.

And for something interesting...hmmm....how about a clownfish :P?

but seriously: i like the idea of invert tank, but your 50 seems to already have taken that idea. maybe a couple of nanogobies and those emperor shrimp? mantis shrimp are cool...or maybe a bullseye pistol...a pair or trio of blue stripes would be awsome.

:/ i don't have much else.

Do you think these fish would be ok in a 14 gal? I'd like to go with the horses. But my reading says the tank is too small for a pair.

Which fish?

LA has a bongo shrimp for sale.

another suggestion: golden dwarf moray? if you could find one...

The lighting should be fine for plants.

And for something interesting...hmmm....how about a clownfish :P?

but seriously: i like the idea of invert tank, but your 50 seems to already have taken that idea. maybe a couple of nanogobies and those emperor shrimp? mantis shrimp are cool...or maybe a bullseye pistol...a pair or trio of blue stripes would be awsome.

:/ i don't have much else.

Which fish?

LA has a bongo shrimp for sale.

another suggestion: golden dwarf moray? if you could find one...

I like the suggestions. How big do the dwarf eels get? Maybe I'll go flaming prawn/pistol and a bluestripe or two. We will see. In the mean time I need to learn about how to keep macros and start picking them up. Anyone know if I can add them to my tank at anytime? I'm not really having a cycle I don't think. All they rock is cured out of my 50 and out of water literal a couple seconds.

Oh sqared the fish j was referring to were some of AMs suggestions.

animalmaster6
Oh sqared the fish j was referring to were some of AMs suggestions.

Small scorps are fine.

Seahorses- depends on the species.

Bluestripes- Fine if enough microfauna.

Coral Croucher- Great

Brotula- maybe. I'm not extremely knowledgable on them yet. I need to do some studying...

AM what kinda horses? And what's easier horses or pipe fish to keep?

Was also checking out the dwarf scorpions they look pretty cool.

animalmaster6

Hmm, maybe Reidi seahorses? H. erectus?

Bluestripes are probably easier but they may need a larger microfauna population. Both are not beginner fish but you are certainly not a novice.

Thank you guys for the suggestions ll check into all of them further. I'm looking toward to setting this little guy back up. I still love the up close personal feel you get in a tank this size. Any help along the way is always appreciated. This whole macro tank thing will be something new for me.

Tons and tons of pods in this tank. Added more rock that has button polyps and gsp on it two days. Ago and it opened instantly. Added a cuc two trochis and 3 hermits.

Also some chaeto and three other unknown macros my lfs gave me.

912d1be3.jpg

Coming along... Dwarf seahorses are fun, but be ready for them. They generally only eat live brine. You can hatch them but would need a continuos supply. They would be fine in that tank size, maybe 6 or so. They will breed as well...

Biggest issue is keeping them safe. A lot of what we think would be ok can be harmful to them because of their size. Even zoa could kill them. I tried this and lost them all to hydroids... Even the brine shrimp eggs can carry hydroids that would get in your tank.

There are hatching methods to prevent this, and keep plenty of macros in the tank for hitching spots and you would have a fun tank.

Too much risks in the dwarf horses. Feeding regiment, hydroids filtration the list goes on. I think I might do a mostly invert tank. My bumble bee will be joining the club in a week or so and I might add a couple sexies as well. My lfs has some mor grass waiting for me to help fill in the tank a bit more. Looking into doing some saron shrimp. I know they can't be kept with coral but will they bother macros? I'll possibly be adding a blueline pipe fish down the road. Any suggestions on a first fish for this tank? I'm thinking maybe a barnacle blennie. Not 100% set on that though. I would still rather have something a little different.

what about a group of barnacle blennies? you could get a big clump of barnacles, and they'd all find a hole, and pop out every now and then. I'd say three or four could be done in a tank this size. maybe you could also do a yellow clown goby since you're not planning SPS.

or maybe a mated pair of jawfish, or neon or rusty gobies?

if you added more rock, a group (maybe 5) of trimma or eviota gobies would be cool.

or let the marco take over, and 'pods go wild, and then add a pair of bluestripe pipes.

what about a group of barnacle blennies? you could get a big clump of barnacles, and they'd all find a hole, and pop out every now and then. I'd say three or four could be done in a tank this size. maybe you could also do a yellow clown goby since you're not planning SPS.

or maybe a mated pair of jawfish, or neon or rusty gobies?

if you added more rock, a group (maybe 5) of trimma or eviota gobies would be cool.

or let the marco take over, and 'pods go wild, and then add a pair of bluestripe pipes.

I like the ideas. I think I want to let this tank just do it's thing. I plan on doing water changes with what I pull from my 50 and keeping this tank very simple with a light bioload. I added my bumble bee today because he's been nipping my one clam a bit and I thought he might like this tank. So far so good. The pod count is ridiculous I've never seen anything like it. There are at least 30 to 40 per square inch on the glass. I'll most likely be putting a couple barnacle blenies in here. The horses don't seem to check out in a tank this small. If I go a different rout it will be strictly inverts fo some time and then a blueline pipe or two. Well have to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Cycle complete. Algae blooms almost done still waiting on the gha.

e3a3c3ec.jpg

Fts

43caf9b4.jpg

My tanks only inhabitant beside the small cuc I have for now.

Still don't know who the F is gonna be living in here.

Archived