Top Shelf Aquatics

Crooks Clownfish

crooks

Black and whites hatched out in the same tank as some snowflakes figured I would do a double hatch as I was low on space.

This pair leave for the quad citys tomorrow.

DSC_05111.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks I have had the Achilles for one and half years. It is so fast and always on the move I never can get a pic. My 180g started leaking so I had to transfer him into a temp tank till I find a new one big enough and it was time to get a pic.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am still plugging along. Had my clowns do some new things for me today. I know this has happened for other people but I hadn't experienced them before. So today my big female wild caught onyx spawned for the first time. I got her in December I think. Well this isnt that big of a deal for me except she is the only fish in her cube. I pulled her male a couple of months ago after her not laying for a long time and I was just not happy with her. She is also part of a pair that killed my spawning snocasso male when he jumped into her tank. So I am looking over my brodstock cubes and I look to see how my Rods onyx pair are doing with their second batch they laid last week. They ate the first nest. I look and she laid another nest today right next to part of her smaller nest from last week. I havent seen that in person but its pretty cool, I will probably let last weeks nest go and focus on this weeks if I have room.

So right now I have 6 pairs spawning and one odd girl out female spawning. Maybe I should of got more tanks for a bigger grow out.

I know you all want pics but the tank is filthy and I am two weeks behind on water changes I should stop before I give away all my secrets.

LOL... classic.

Are they in a system plumbed together? I wonder if the other pairs spawning are what's making her spawn or if it's just a matter of the conditions you've set in the tank.

This is a bad pic from the beginning of this thread. Yes they are plumbed together. They can see each other and they spawn right next to each other.

IMG_1151.jpg

This is a bad pic from the beginning of this thread. Yes they are plumbed together. They can see each other and they spawn right next to each other.

IMG_1151.jpg

i had bad luck with my system this way, they would constantly fight each other, my clowns are mean... lol but hey your doing a great job, and you have some of the best snows ive seen to date....

i had bad luck with my system this way, they would constantly fight each other, my clowns are mean... lol but hey your doing a great job, and you have some of the best snows ive seen to date....

This pic is from 6 or 8 months ago. I have spawning pairs in all but the top two cubes on the left . 7 out of 9 isnt bad when 1 doesnt even have a male and 1 of the other 2 cubes not spawning has the male separated from the female.

I would not believe this kind of set up would of worked, but its hard to disagree when I go over to Mitch's house and he has 4 of these with 3 tiers and 18 spawning pairs in each. Mine bicker sometimes but I should take a pic of the one Snowflake pair's post it note a nest every 12 days since at least Feb like clock work.

This pic is from 6 or 8 months ago. I have spawning pairs in all but the top two cubes on the left . 7 out of 9 isnt bad when 1 doesnt even have a male and 1 other the other 2 cubes not spawning has the mail separated from the female.

I would not believe this kind of set up would of worked, but its hard to disagree when I go over to Mitch's house and he has 4 of these with 3 tiers and 18 spawning pairs in each. Mine bicker sometimes but I should take a pic of the one Snowflake pair's post it note a nest every 12 days since at least Feb like clock work.

keep up the good work...

Doesnt look like the B/w male in the next cube fertilized the lone female onyx's eggs. Thanks Rudy you will be putting out some sick clowns real quick.

Doesnt look like the B/w male in the next cube fertilized the lone female onyx's eggs. Thanks Rudy you will be putting out some sick clowns real quick.

man i got favorites already..lol i really thought picassos and snowcasso were my fav clowns, but dang these xtreme snowflake clowns blow them away,, i love my male snowcasso but i dont know how much longer he will be my favorite with these snows im getting here in the office!!i fell in love with the babies you showed off, thus hatching out my own fry...

How big are those compartments? They don't look like they could more then 8 x8 or so. I'm asking because I'm setting up my brood stock tanks and I was questioning if splitting a 20L into 3 compartments was pushing it but after seeing that I'm thinking it will be plenty of room.

Your on to me. Yup top shelf cubes are 12"x8"x8". But dont tell anyone. I dont want to hear how I am a bad person for this. I got a pair of Rods onyx and was told they are three years old. When I picked them up I laughed because the female was less then two inches and the male about an inch. The lfs owner told me these should be spawning soon. 8 or 9 months later in my jail cube they both put on an inch and are laying now. The bottom cubes are 16x12x12 and the fish dont use the whole cube I should divide each of them.

5 gallons is enough for a pair. I wouldnt think this if I hadnt seen a breeder keep 80 pairs in 5g for 20 years.

I'm not calling PETA...

I was looking at my top shelf thinking I could house 10 pair easily... lol But yeah I've seen plenty of brood stock kept in 5 gallon tanks without problem. You run a large enough sump and maintain the water quality and they'll do fine. The fact that they are spawning proves it.

Four out of the six cubes are spawning with only 7 clowns in those four. :eek:

how do you handle all those fry, im having trouble with just 4 batches now from same parents, ive been letting the snowcasso/picasso fry go due to nomore room,, time is also a factor, once i get my ww to stop eating fry i will make room but till then,,,, just cant figure out where you keep all the fry!!!

I cant until I expand. I let the true percs go and was thinking of selling them. Rods onyx have ate their eggs till only about ten left twice now so I dont even bother. Luckily the black and white pair were on the same schedule as one of my snowflake pairs so I would double hatch them in one tank. Single WC female no one fertilized her eggs so she ate all of them. I was only pulling one of my snowflake pairs but will be pulling both from now on.

I only have 5 ten gallons tanks for fry right now I need to double it. My growout is about 170 gal and has room still in it for now.

I cant until I expand. I let the true percs go and was thinking of selling them. Rods onyx have ate their eggs till only about ten left twice now so I dont even bother. Luckily the black and white pair were on the same schedule as one of my snowflake pairs so I would double hatch them in one tank. Single WC female no one fertilized her eggs so she ate all of them. I was only pulling one of my snowflake pairs but will be pulling both from now on.

I only have 5 ten gallons tanks for fry right now I need to double it. My growout is about 170 gal and has room still in it for now.

wow ...... do you do this all by yourself??

Archived