ReefCleaners.org

Crooks Clownfish

crooks

Plumbing sucks I never have everything I need and I dont figure that out till the store is closed. One day I will have some grow out tanks set up and plumbed together.

Pics at about 2 months. I wish I could get some pics of the ones that are almost all white maybe when they get bigger.

SDC11251.jpg

SDC11244.jpg

very nice... i got a group shot of my super snows ill post!!!!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see your pic of super snows. I am not exactly sure how the grading of snowflakes breaks down and I will need to learn here pretty quick.

I would like to see your pic of super snows. I am not exactly sure how the grading of snowflakes breaks down and I will need to learn here pretty quick.

supersnows are almost all white , almost wyoming white but not quiet there... let me see if i can get samples for you....

btw i see about 5-6 supersnows in your pic,,, maybe more!!!

altolamprologus

awesome breeding setup :D the babies look great

have you ever seen a pure white clown? i saw one at a lfs labled as a platinum clown but everyone keeps telling me pure white is impossible. i would have bought it if my tank was set up then, even though it was like $500

I havent seen many grading threads for snowflakes like they have for picasso.

Wyoming White are all white except the tip of the face and fins?

Super Snows have all bars connecting or just 2 or more?

Semi Snow no bars connecting but jagged stripes.

nice. i always loved too see the fish balls. looks so cool

at first when i read this all i could think of was "eww" then i looked at the picture and saw what you meant. yeah that is pretty neat.

and thats an awesome setup you got there. matches your awesome clowns

• 3 weeks later...
They arent worth as much as I hoped. If they pay for electric and salt I will be happy.

O wow. are they just not selling or is salt and electricity that expensive haha?

How often are you doing water changes on that 20 to keep the levels in check? It looks like you are running 2 sponge filters? Hard to tell in the pics... but how big are the filters you are using?

They arent big enough to sell. The price just isnt what it was a year ago.

Those are two sponge 4 filters. Water change about every week. I kinda go more by looks if its dirty I clean and change the water, real scientific I know.

LOL... I hear you. I just lost some GSM's the other day because I left them in the 10 too long. I'd been doing daily water changes but when I saw some laying on the bottom I ran a ammonia test and it turned green in seconds. I did a LARGE water change and got the rest moved to a much bigger tank today. I though for sure they would do fine in there for a while longer.

I have ammonia lock but havent used any in a long time. Are you running any filtration in their tank?

Yeah.. I'm running a sponge filter - but it was a 2" - I'm ordering some larger ones this week. I haven't used ammonia lock before just prime.

as far as grading i would go by what ora and most other big breeders use. im not sure what your pricing is but ill go by some common prices i see online. your right they have droped in value the last year or so,

snowflake's (or premium snowflakes) will have the head and middle bars connected like this, sometimes the tailbars will connect to. ($99-$129)

premiumsnowflake_lg.jpg

semi-snowflakes do not have the middle and head stripe connecting. ($49-$75)

snowflake_lg.jpg

if its almost pure white where then they would be Wyoming whites ($199)

macna_wyoming-white-clownfish.jpg

Ya I have recently talked to some other breeders I think I have a good grasp on grading but thanks for the pics. If I get the low end of those prices I will be happy.

Getting retail for anything you spawn is the tricky part. Figure 1/2 to 1/3 for a trade/sold to store, about 1/4 for wholesaling to distributors.

What is funny/sad is you quickly find out that volume wins over "specialty" 99% of the time.

I pulled all the regular oscellaris out of that 20 gallon and got a quick shakey vid of two fish I think are cool.

th_SDC11306.jpg

omg the one on the left is a replica of one of my breeder males.. at first i was like wtf how did he get a video of my fish!!! lol nice looking pair, if you keep them i would find them different mates and watch them grow and have there own babies, they will produce killer offspring for you in the near future!!!

Thanks while those two have some cool patterns I doubt I keep them. I am going to keep a couple others that have more white, they are just a little smaller then those right now.

Thanks while those two have some cool patterns I doubt I keep them. I am going to keep a couple others that have more white, they are just a little smaller then those right now.

pics or i wont belive you!!! lol j/k but yeah post pics!!

Archived