Cultivated Reef

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

Hs1: cy cb 2700 tv dr cb tg cb 2700 dr tg cb dr tv 2700 cb cy

Hs2: 4000 tg dr RB 4000 dr dr dr tv cb dr dr 4000 RB dr tg 4000

Hs3: dr RB 4000 dr cy RB tg cy RB dr tg RB cy dr 4000 RB dr

Hs4: 2700 tg cy tv 2700 dr dr dr 4000 cb dr dr 2700 tv cy tg 2700

Middle rows are slightly cooler, outers slightly redder. I tried to concentrate on even spread, so this is going to disco like crazy.

Totals: 5 tv, 7rb, 7cb, 7cyan, 8tg, 7 4000k, 7 2700k, 20 dr.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
Hs1: cy cb 2700 tv dr cb tg cb 2700 dr tg cb dr tv 2700 cb cy

Hs2: 4000 tg dr RB 4000 dr dr dr tv cb dr dr 4000 RB dr tg 4000

Hs3: dr RB 4000 dr cy RB tg cy RB dr tg RB cy dr 4000 RB dr

Hs4: 2700 tg cy tv 2700 dr dr dr 4000 cb dr dr 2700 tv cy tg 2700

Middle rows are slightly cooler, outers slightly redder. I tried to concentrate on even spread, so this is going to disco like crazy.

Totals: 5 tv, 7rb, 7cb, 7cyan, 8tg, 7 4000k, 7 2700k, 20 dr.

It's not going over water, so there won't be any disco. ;)

It's not going over water, so there won't be any disco. ;)

Leaves blowing around because of circulation fans will probably make a bunch of funky shadows... but this will be in an enclosed closet, so no one but the plants will notice. Haha.

Fantastic video Uglybuckling, keep up the great work.

kgoldy, you're making me want to replant my grow tent. :(

Washington State- didn't you guys just vote in recreational use? ...[reading]... but grow-your-own is still banned? WTF. That's just silly.

Got my Reef Cleaners order today. Heatpack was still warm... snails were not. It's about 34 degrees here... Hopefully they'll survive. I saw some nerites tucking themselves in a bit when I was examining their bag, so I think they should be okay.

2012-11-27_13-00-50_471.jpg

2012-11-27_13-01-40_753.jpg

2012-11-27_13-03-01_793.jpg

:o :o :o

HOLY #### I JUST SPOTTED A LIVING JELLYFISH IN MY TANK!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

It's trapped in my fuge in a tiny little puddle between a bunch of my overgrown caulerpa (that I was about to scoop into the garbage). I just dug up my waterproof camera... it should be able to take macro shots, hopefully a macro video- of the little jelly. Camera batter is completely dead as it hasn't been charged since my last trip to India (I think) so it'll be a while before I can try it out. This is crazy! It's so cute and little. ...But in real life I despise jellyfish so part of me wants to kill it with fire...

Washington State- didn't you guys just vote in recreational use? ...[reading]... but grow-your-own is still banned? WTF. That's just silly.

Yeah, grow your own is still illegal since EVERY step of the production/sale process will have something like a 25% state tax on it ("experts" still estimate the price for consumers will drop by a LOT). As I understand them, the medical usage laws here state that if you get a prescription from a doctor, you can either grow your own, purchase from a vendor, or designate one person to grow for just you in your place. That would probably be pretty easy to setup, but still too much effort for me. I have no interest in consuming, I just think it'd be interesting to grow given all the varieties. All I've used my hydroponics setup for was vegetables and a billion varieties of basil.

:o :o :o

HOLY #### I JUST SPOTTED A LIVING JELLYFISH IN MY TANK!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

It's trapped in my fuge in a tiny little puddle between a bunch of my overgrown caulerpa (that I was about to scoop into the garbage). I just dug up my waterproof camera... it should be able to take macro shots, hopefully a macro video- of the little jelly. Camera batter is completely dead as it hasn't been charged since my last trip to India (I think) so it'll be a while before I can try it out. This is crazy! It's so cute and little. ...But in real life I despise jellyfish so part of me wants to kill it with fire...

Don't kill them!

:o Free-swimming types? How is that even possible?

Free-swimming, yeah. Two are upside-down... I guess they're hydroids that matured?

I tried capturing a video of them on my cellphone... and it looked good on screen, give a few minutes for auto-upload and we'll see how they look on photobucket.

Yeah, grow your own is still illegal since EVERY step of the production/sale process will have something like a 25% state tax on it ("experts" still estimate the price for consumers will drop by a LOT). As I understand them, the medical usage laws here state that if you get a prescription from a doctor, you can either grow your own, purchase from a vendor, or designate one person to grow for just you in your place. That would probably be pretty easy to setup, but still too much effort for me. I have no interest in consuming, I just think it'd be interesting to grow given all the varieties. All I've used my hydroponics setup for was vegetables and a billion varieties of basil.

Yeah, I'm sure I would have done this a long time ago if I was actually a consumer. Smoking just isn't for me, but I like the challenge of growing (and breeding) stuff. It started with hamsters and rats as a little kid, moved on to leopard geckos and chameleons as a teenager... Now it's coral. Oh, and the 36 or so varieties of berries I have in my back yard. Haha.

Don't kill them!

They live as long as they stay in the same spot. I'll have to harvest (throw out) the macro around them.

Free-swimming, yeah. Two are upside-down... I guess they're hydroids that matured?

I tried capturing a video of them on my cellphone... and it looked good on screen, give a few minutes for auto-upload and we'll see how they look on photobucket.

Well, depending on size could be something like Poci larvae, but sounds like they're bigger than that? upside-down jelyfish come to mind.. Never heard of actual jellys appearing and/or living for any amount of time in a normal tank. Would be cool though. :)

Pile of snails- looks like a majority of them are starting to move. :happy:

2012-11-27_14-23-32_589.jpg

2012-11-27_14-23-27_325.jpg

Video- started as just the little jelly things, ended up as a full tank video. Colors are a lot better on video than they are in stills (when I'm looking on the phone, anyway).

Vid link might not be working yet... Photobucket is sometimes weird about videos not being available right away.

th_2012-11-27_14-25-56_485.jpg

Video audio gets cut and it got cut short... Weird.

Uhh... alright, it looks like the full tank video was actually separate from the other one. Please excuse me for breathing like Darth Vader into the mic while I was recording...

th_2012-11-27_14-28-28_673.jpg

(edit- moved video to a new location, old link won't work.)

Uhh... alright, it looks like the full tank video was actually separate from the other one. Please excuse me for breathing like Darth Vader into the mic while I was recording...

Lol. That's funny. I tried watching and my Internet connection is crappy. :(

Try again, Pat- I think I had the other video in a private folder.

BTW- I called Steve's LEDs to let them know I made that second order around midnight last night, asking to have shipping combined and partially refunded, plus a refund for the two TV LEDs I didn't need... Within about two minutes, Steve had my $6 refunded to paypal. Haha. He's the man.

That's crazy that you now have jellyfish in there too. Pretty soon you'll have a whale show up--"oh, must have been a hitchhiker"

36 varieties of berries, eh? I think you've got me beat by three or four. Not by much though. These days I'm more into Japanese maples, but I definitely planted a lot of food plants when I moved into this house.

Anyway, I made this for the light. I figure it's probably a little clearer here. You can see that I've tried to retain some symmetry, although there are certainly colors where that didn't work so great (cool blue).

kgoldy.png

^I'm getting dizzy looking at that^

I can't imagine what will happen when it's an actual fixture and gets powered on for testing. Better break out a welding mask...

^I'm getting dizzy looking at that^

I can't imagine what will happen when it's an actual fixture and gets powered on for testing. Better break out a welding mask...

Seriously, you probably don't want to look straight at that. I've got a small ~180W LED grow light for my hydroponics that is simply blinding. If you look directly at it, your vision has a noticeable green tint to it for a disconcerting amount of time afterwards.

Also, I'm kind of an Elon Musk fan boy. If SpaceX ever goes public, I'll be first in line to buy stock. Probably only $500 worth, but still.........

Archived