Pod Your Reef

Wints Picotope with sump

Funktastic Wint

Mr. Microscope
hey thanks! is the blue anthelia the little blue snowflake polyps? lol is it gunna hurt anything if it spreads?

also do u know what sorta clam that is thats attached to the back glass? its brown, paper thin and about the size of a snapple lid.

Yeah, the purply ones in front are the anthelia. I've heard that some people hate them because they end up on everything like GSP, but I think they're beautiful. I'd recommend that you just isolate the colony apart from your main rock display. That should help to control them.

I'm not sure about that clam. I had a paper thin clam once that was a HH in a rock of mushrooms. It was just a cool filter feeder.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funktastic Wint
Yeah, the purply ones in front are the anthelia. I've heard that some people hate them because they end up on everything like GSP, but I think they're beautiful. I'd recommend that you just isolate the colony apart from your main rock display. That should help to control them.

I'm not sure about that clam. I had a paper thin clam once that was a HH in a rock of mushrooms. It was just a cool filter feeder.

for some reason the colony of gsp i have in my big tank is the only coral thats actually doing poorly. im quite baffled really.

i like the anthelia too and i think they are much easier to appreciate in a picotope. :) they are on their own rock but i suppose i could make sure to scoot it away from the other rocks in case its touching.

Mr. Microscope
for some reason the colony of gsp i have in my big tank is the only coral thats actually doing poorly. im quite baffled really.

My GSP were doing really poorly too. I'm finding a marked improvement feeding them live phytoplankton.

Funktastic Wint
My GSP were doing really poorly too. I'm finding a marked improvement feeding them live phytoplankton.

Live phyto ehh?

what kind are you using?

where do u get it?

does that seachem alert ammonia thing actually work for you? I had one on my fw tank awhile ago and it was crap so I got rid of it lol. never registered any ammonia....even when I placed it in a separate container and dumped a ton of food in the water just to test it.

Funktastic Wint
does that seachem alert ammonia thing actually work for you? I had one on my fw tank awhile ago and it was crap so I got rid of it lol. never registered any ammonia....even when I placed it in a separate container and dumped a ton of food in the water just to test it.

idk i havnt had any readings from it.its always said i was fine. :)

Mr. Microscope
Live phyto ehh?

what kind are you using?

where do u get it?

Reef Nutrition brand. They make the food stuff in the clear plastic bottles. I looked at it under the microscope. It's legit. The cells looked healthy and very much alive. Needs to be kept refrigerated.

The LFS I got if from said that they think it lasts a bit longer than DT's.

Funktastic Wint
Reef Nutrition brand. They make the food stuff in the clear plastic bottles. I looked at it under the microscope. It's legit. The cells looked healthy and very much alive. Needs to be kept refrigerated.

The LFS I got if from said that they think it lasts a bit longer than DT's.

does it smell awful?

lol i know its a weird question but i bought some green bottle of coral food once, it was refridgerated and i just dreaded feeding time cuz i knew it would stink up the place. :(

im using oyster feast and i like it. very little smell.

Funktastic Wint
Yes, it smells a bit, but it's the only thing for softies and some filter feeders (excluding Z's and P's).

hmmmm

yuck lol maybe if i can get a different brand i will try it.

Funktastic Wint
hmmmm

yuck lol maybe if i can get a different brand i will try it.

added 4 more bumble bee snails today.

i think the LEDS might contribute to more algae growth

also threw in 4 limpets smaller than a pencil eraser

Funktastic Wint

yesterday i did my second water change of 1 gallon on the tank. lol i know only 2 so far. :P

and i sold some stuff and traded a fellow reefer in my area for a peppermint shrimp which i threw in my pico in hopes it will eat the 2 small aiptasia in there.

i also started dosing kent marine trace essential elements to all of my tanks.

hey thanks! is the blue anthelia the little blue snowflake polyps? lol is it gunna hurt anything if it spreads?

also do u know what sorta clam that is thats attached to the back glass? its brown, paper thin and about the size of a snapple lid.

The blue polyps are not anthelia. They are blue clove polyps. Anthelia is more like xenia. I would suggest throwing the blue cloves away. SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! The sympodium is much nicer, and the blue cloves will eventually kill the sympodium. It will spread over the whole tank quickly. Blue clove polyps are the devil!! If it was anthelia, I'd say throw it away too. Noxious Weed!!! Seriously move the blue cloves away from the sympodium. The tankscape looks good though. Oh, and you shouldn't need to dose anything in a tank that small. Don't waste money on supplements that are replenished with a water change.

Funktastic Wint
The blue polyps are not anthelia. They are blue clove polyps. Anthelia is more like xenia. I would suggest throwing the blue cloves away. SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! The sympodium is much nicer, and the blue cloves will eventually kill the sympodium. It will spread over the whole tank quickly. Blue clove polyps are the devil!! If it was anthelia, I'd say throw it away too. Noxious Weed!!! Seriously move the blue cloves away from the sympodium. The tankscape looks good though. Oh, and you shouldn't need to dose anything in a tank that small. Don't waste money on supplements that are replenished with a water change.

i only do a water change once a month :D

i only do a water change once a month :D

I wouldn't dose anything that you can't test for such as trace elements. I used the same stuff when I first started out. It provided a very nice algae bloom. It also raised my calcium over 500.

Funktastic Wint
I wouldn't dose anything that you can't test for such as trace elements. I used the same stuff when I first started out. It provided a very nice algae bloom. It also raised my calcium over 500.

perhaps ur right. i think i may have noticed more algae growth than normal. perhaps i will do less trace elements. i thought it was due to my new lighting but could be that as well.

Funktastic Wint
Awesome tank!! What exactly did you use to attach the LR ruble to your return?

just some regular aquarium safe epoxy stuff. theres some called aquastix. i used some of that but i also used an off brand which i liked better. both were coraline algae purple colored.

Funktastic Wint

quick update:

the peppermint shrimp ate the 2 small aiptasia! yay! :)

added a rock i got at the lfs that was covered in zoas (theres like a hundered zoas on it!)

also i added my first sps (a birdsnest) just a little piece to see if it will live or not.

and i added a purple people eater paly which i intend to grow out. :)

pics will come soon

Funktastic Wint

just a quick fts with my cell phone

015.jpg

zoa tonga branch i got for real cheap :)

017.jpg

018.jpg

016.jpg

my awesome staghorn hermit crab.

i think thats what its called. its shell is a live coral. pretty cool IMO

019.jpg

Funktastic Wint

DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0909.jpg

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0914.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

DSCN0903.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

DSCN0899.jpg

yes that hermit is cool. so is that tonga branch zoa thing. looks very natural. good job with this.

Hey thanks! think its missing anything? what would u change? i like input

needs a blue colored maxi mini anemone, though idk exactly where it should go. definitely near the sand though. or a big hary shroom. needs some coloful sponges attached to that pillar, and this tank is missing major GSP action, green GSP on the left front branching rock.

Archived