Monochrome5's 8g Biocube Build *NEW PICS 4/18*

Monochrome5

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monochrome5
94b3cb7b.jpg

10d2e5c7.jpg

Should be at your house Tuesday/Wednesday. I'll have videos of T-storms and clouds :)

-Dave

OMG OMG OMG WANT.

Is it Tuesday yet?

Monochrome5
I know you HAVE to have pictures. Now hurry up!

-Dave

Didn't get home from work until 10:30! Then I had to figure out how to change the txt to an exe... and yeah. BUT... It's all set up! Pictures soon!

Awesome build man. Looks really good. I have a biocube 8g as well. It's been crashing over the last month. Need to get a good test kit to check my parameters but anyways I'm enjoying your build!

Oh ps, with your chaeto in the tank inself.... have you noticed any difference? I need to lower my ph so I was thinking of doing that myself.

Monochrome5
Awesome build man. Looks really good. I have a biocube 8g as well. It's been crashing over the last month. Need to get a good test kit to check my parameters but anyways I'm enjoying your build!

Oh ps, with your chaeto in the tank inself.... have you noticed any difference? I need to lower my ph so I was thinking of doing that myself.

My pH is buffered by ChemiPure Elite in my media rack. Honestly, I rarely check my water params (other than salinity) so I can't really tell you if it makes a difference. Having it in the tank just seemed easier to me haha. It's a breeding ground four swarms of copepods, too.

Monochrome5

A lot has happened this week!! First off, I added some new goodies to the tank! I got a great frag of blue green sympodium coral. About 3"x2". It is now residing on it's own rock on the bottom left corner of my tank. I also got a geometric pygmy hawkfish, which isn't actually a hawkfish at all. It's a highfin perchlet species (related to anthias). He's just about full grown an right around an inch. I love him. Bright red and orange spots all over with a distinct high dorsal spine, He perches about on the rocks (like a clown goby/hawkfish would) and is just an awesome looking fish.

Also, MY HOOD IS HERE!!! omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

This thing is NUTS! 18 LEDs (12 Royal Blue, 6 Natural White), custom drivers/controllers, all mounted to a custom heatsink/fan assembly built right into my hood. I can simulate everything in this tank, including moving cloud cover and thunderstorms! It's really amazing, and the corals are opening more than ever under these bad boys. Thanks to Dave Fason (Nanobox) for the insane build. If you're thinking about LEDs, he's the man to build them for you!

Some pictures (to get Dave off my back hahaha):

DSC_0051.jpg

The LEDs going strong. Blue bank, white bank, blue bank. Hard to shoot directly into them haha.

DSC_0074.jpg

The hood on top of the cube. Note the custom fans/grills. That's how you mount fans, Oceanic.

DSC_0044.jpg

The duncan (and his new heads) soaking up the light.

DSC_0041.jpg

I didn't think my GSP could get brighter until I saw them under the new LEDs. Damn.

DSC_0039.jpg

FTS: 4/18/2011

PS: All shots were taken in RAW just to rub it in Adam's face ;)

Looks great Kyle. Everything looks nice and happy. That hood is super slick!!

I think you forgot to mention that A) you're LEDs are spread out and mine are in a pendant (focused high intensity light) and B)you're using a macro lens (much less area to blow out the highlights). They do look good though :)

Monochrome5
Looks great Kyle. Everything looks nice and happy. That hood is super slick!!

I think you forgot to mention that A) you're LEDs are spread out and mine are in a pendant (focused high intensity light) and B)you're using a macro lens (much less area to blow out the highlights). They do look good though :)

Hehe. The FTS show was taken with my 18-55mm. I'm just giving you a hard time:)

Hehe. The FTS show was taken with my 18-55mm. I'm just giving you a hard time:)

love the colors in your tank, my favorites are the gorgonian of course! and by far the pink flamingos! i need to find me some!

Monochrome5

I've decided I need more flow. Or at least I want to play around with more flow. I'm not seeing anything detrimental... I just want to see if it makes a difference :) The question now is where the heck do I put a powerhead?

Monochrome5

Just added an anemone to the tank. I know, I know. It will go in a bigger tank (20g AGA) once that tank is done cycling. Until then, he's living happily on the top of my rockwork, well away from any corals. He picked the spot and I couldn't be happier with it! And he's only maybe an inch and a half tall when fully stretched out (with his oral disc about an inch). Here he is:

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

No idea what kind of anemone this is. The LFS thought it was some strange Condy species. Doesn't look like a condy to me, though. The tentacles are wrong. Too short for one, spaced on the oral disc wrong, and each tentacle seems to be tipped with some sort of notch. Plus I've never seen a condy colored like that... Any thoughts?

Monochrome5
I...want it.

You'll love the price I got it for... $5 because the guy had no idea what it was or how it got included in his shipment :lol:

You'll love the price I got it for... $5 because the guy had no idea what it was or how it got included in his shipment :lol:

score haha!

Looking good Kyle. Glad to see things are still going great with the tank.

So you're starting another tank?

Monochrome5
Looking good Kyle. Glad to see things are still going great with the tank.

So you're starting another tank?

Yes, but not another reef tank. I got an amazing deal on a tank... 20g AGA, matching stand (both in cherry), AC50, Jager 200W Heater, powerstrip, and all the goodies for $20 on craigslist. It also had three fish (two mollies and a plecostomas) that I gave to the LFS. Remember that 70W MH I got for $32? I'm going to throw that over the 20g, add a Koralia 450 I got from a NR member, and put a giant bubble-tip anemone in there. The tank will essentially be the anemone, my clown (I feel he's too big for the 8g), and a few other random (not-reef safe) fish. My damn anemone fascination is costing me even more money haha.

However.... I'm now officially a marine biologist. I had my last final today and now have my masters!

I should probably be asking dave but i bet hes bz as hell, but how much did you pay for the hood looks great. I just got a biocube 14 and wanted to do leds but with out loosing the hood. Ps congrats on the masters

• 1 month later...
Monochrome5

Well, it is with mixed feelings that I will announce the end of this tank. Sort of. I got a great deal on a BC29 so I'll be moving everything over to that tank. I think. Yeah, I don't really know what the heck to do haha. I'm thinking about turning the 8g into a harlequin shrimp tank. Or just leaving it as is. Or selling it to Adam (divecj5). Any suggestions?

wildmanzeke

Marine biology is something i have always thought would be right up my lane. I've been around fish and water my entire life. I'm just fascinated with them. Right on for your masters! Congrats. What are your plans now that you've got that title?

I was thinking of breaking down my 5.5 and trans. it into the nanocube, the only prob is i dont want to get rid of my clown in the 5.5 lol. you will love having more room to work with in the new tank and im sure you will make it look sweet!!!

Monochrome5
Marine biology is something i have always thought would be right up my lane. I've been around fish and water my entire life. I'm just fascinated with them. Right on for your masters! Congrats. What are your plans now that you've got that title?

Trying to find a permanent job haha. I did my masters dissertation on Cnidarians, which is why people keep asking me about anemones... Though I wrote on jellies (Cyanea capillata to be exact). I also have published work on California purple sea urchins, Strongylocentrotus purpuratus, and Eastern mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis. All I know is that I want to research marine invertebrates, wherever that lands me. Also, my dream job would be head of husbandry for the Shedd Aquarium... so we'll see :D

Archived