Cultivated Reef

Monochrome5's 8g Biocube Build *NEW PICS 4/18*

Monochrome5

Sorry to keep everyone in suspense! Ha. Here are some pictures :)

The Duncan - Actinic

DuncanAc1.jpg

The Duncan - 10000k

Duncan10k.jpg

Metalic GSP

GSP.jpg

They really are that bright... I promise.

6 Lobe Red Brain

Brain1.jpg

Sorry... missed a spot cleaning the glass and got that streak on this shot.

The Zoas... again

Zoa.jpg

Figured I might as well take another shot of the zoas. They've really opened up nicely! Already sprouting more, too. I've counted at least 3 more so far and it's only been a week.

And finally... New FTS

FTS.jpg

What do you guys think? Everything's really coming along nicely! I also picked up a piece of reef-builder rock for the GSPs to take over. Hopefully this will keep them isolated from taking over my entire tank. The rock had this perfect little cup shape that happened to be the exact size of the frag plug the GSPs were on. Go me!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to keep everyone in suspense! Ha. Here are some pictures :)

The Duncan - Actinic

DuncanAc1.jpg

The Duncan - 10000k

Duncan10k.jpg

Metalic GSP

GSP.jpg

They really are that bright... I promise.

6 Lobe Red Brain

Brain1.jpg

Sorry... missed a spot cleaning the glass and got that streak on this shot.

The Zoas... again

Zoa.jpg

Figured I might as well take another shot of the zoas. They've really opened up nicely! Already sprouting more, too. I've counted at least 3 more so far and it's only been a week.

And finally... New FTS

FTS.jpg

What do you guys think? Everything's really coming along nicely! I also picked up a piece of reef-builder rock for the GSPs to take over. Hopefully this will keep them isolated from taking over my entire tank. The rock had this perfect little cup shape that happened to be the exact size of the frag plug the GSPs were on. Go me!

looks good, man. want a frag from that gsp, nice color ;)

tanks lookin great, good start! dont bother with those LFS types, pretty soont hey stop talking to you becuase they know your more informed than they are

tanks lookin great, good start! dont bother with those LFS types, pretty soont hey stop talking to you becuase they know your more informed than they are

Haha. The guy was convinced the GSPs were galaxia. All I could do was shake my head and laugh. It was hysterical.

Thanks for the kind words on the tank guys! Going from a 115g "reef" (I use reef loosely, as I have a puffer so a lot of corals are out of the question... basically it's a softy tank) to an 8g reef has been awesome.

Next up: CUSTOM LEDS!!!! That's right, Dave (DaveFason) is going to personally mod my BC8 hood with two banks of LEDs (blues and whites) and some custom moonlights. No more heat issues for me!!!

Awsome tank! I really like your scape! ;) I tried to do something similar with my tank but my rocks weren't the right shape for a central "mountain" and I don't feel like breaking them up so I kinda did a "side mountain". Haha! :D

Awsome tank! I really like your scape! ;) I tried to do something similar with my tank but my rocks weren't the right shape for a central "mountain" and I don't feel like breaking them up so I kinda did a "side mountain". Haha! :D

I noticed my rockscape looks remarkably like Pride Rock from the Lion King when viewed at the proper angle.

Looking good. I have a soft spot for BC8's since that's what I entered the hobby with. There are not nearly enough of them on this forum.

I agree! We need some more BC8 lovin' on NR. It's the perfect size for my apartment, and the price was just right (though I've since spent four times the price in lighting/upgrades haha).

Clarinet_Reefer

MC5,

I am new here and just wanted to say, great tank! I have a tank waiting to be set up, it's a Biocube 14. It is a wonderful gift from my fiance and she got it at a great price. I wanted to start with a Biocube 8 but she couldn't pass up the deal she got on the 14. Can't wait to see this tank mature and fill in! It's gonna be good! And I can't wait to begin my tank.

MC5,

I am new here and just wanted to say, great tank! I have a tank waiting to be set up, it's a Biocube 14. It is a wonderful gift from my fiance and she got it at a great price. I wanted to start with a Biocube 8 but she couldn't pass up the deal she got on the 14. Can't wait to see this tank mature and fill in! It's gonna be good! And I can't wait to begin my tank.

Thanks! The BC8 is a great little tank. I'm sure the BC14 will be awesome for you! Just be careful with heat... these things trap a lot of it :)

New additions!!

Picked up a frag of Radioactive Dragon Eyes (~40 polyps for $25) and a purple haze monti. Gonna put the LED system to the test :)

Pictures tomorrow when the lights are back on!

My misfit onyx came today!!! Had a bit of scare with the acclimation (she turned ghost white about 40 minutes into the drip acclimation) but pulled through. Now she's all over the tank!

clown2.jpg

Onyx1.jpg

ClowPod.jpg

Pictures of my new corals soon. Been swamped with work. Hopefully new coral and FTS by Sunday!

Got my temporary LED rig from Dave today. Rigged it up for less than $20 haha. It will only be up for about a week until my custom LED hood is done. Until then....

Rig.jpg

I really like the way it looks Kyle. Simple, cheap and effective temporary hanger for sure. It's going to look great once you have the hood and LEDs all tucked away in there.

You'll have to get some closeups as it looks like what you have in there really shine now.

Love the new avatar....

I really like the way it looks Kyle. Simple, cheap and effective temporary hanger for sure. It's going to look great once you have the hood and LEDs all tucked away in there.

You'll have to get some closeups as it looks like what you have in there really shine now.

Love the new avatar....

wow THOSE CLOWNS ARE SWEET. LED light looks like it puts out a ton of light, good luck with it, ill be looking forward to the completed fixture.

wow THOSE CLOWNS ARE SWEET. LED light looks like it puts out a ton of light, good luck with it, ill be looking forward to the completed fixture.

Just one clown :) I'm only doing one fish in my tank. Don't want to overload it! I've been told the pics look a little yellowish, but I can assure you the clown is orange and black. I don't have photoshop plus I'm colorblind, so getting the color just right is a challenge for me :lol:

The LED does put out a ton of light. The temp setup is just 12 CREE LEDs (8 Royal Blue, 4 White). My hood will have 18 CREEs, 12 blue and 6 white. Going to be a lot of power! The shimmer they ad is great as well. All the benefits of metal halide, none of the extra heat. They give off less than my PC lights did. It's great. I'm super excited to see what Dave comes up with in there!

How's the Purple Haze settling in now that it's secured to the rock? Were that bastage Nassarius able to pry it off again?

So far so good! The putty set nicely (thank you so much!) and the purple haze looks really happy. I've noticed that the section Kira chewed off is showing signs of life now that it's been under the LEDs a while. There is white forming around the edges, which I hear means new growth!

Glad to hear it man. White sections around the edges is a very good sign as long as it's extending out and not receding inward ;)

I don't remember if it was hanging over the edge or the plug or not, but it is now :) Looks like the coral is spreading down toward to rockwork!

Custom LED updates:

New fans added to hood:

8f7720dc.jpg

LEDs wired to heat sink. 12 Royal Blue and 6 Neutral White. Purdy.

e0243d08.jpg

Special thanks to Dave Fason for building this amazing LED rig. Can't wait until the controller is in and the hood is back over my tank!!

Archived