Innovative Marine Aquariums

Monochrome5's 8g Biocube Build *NEW PICS 4/18*

Monochrome5

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I am not sure about the fan upgrade one of the pro mod guys could answer that better than me, but even that light from steviet is a bit much for just an 8, right now I decided not to run a fuge in my 8 cause it is a planted tank for dwarf seahorses so I have lots of natural macro already, but if you really want to run it, for even my 29 I have a 13 watt PC lamp on mine...cost like 20 bucks on my LFS

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Oceanic-Biocube-8-...a#ht_2828wt_905

What about these? They're a bit thicker than the stocks, but I'm thinking they'll fit under the shield.

Lol, I ordered these from the same seller for my BC8 and installed them a few days ago. They are a little thicker than the stock fans but they fit under the hood. I don't know if it was just the ones that I got, but the screw holes didn't match up perfectly and it took a little patience to get them screwed in snug. I give props to the seller though, he shipped them quick and I think I had them in about 48 hrs.

I wish I could tell you that they would help your heat issues but I'm not sure. I bought my tank used a couple of weeks ago and don't have it up and running yet, the fans were a little loud so I thought I'd go ahead and upgrade - I will say they're a little quieter. Also ordered the pc-r bulbs and fish saver so we're pretty much tank twinkies at this point :D

Lol, I ordered these from the same seller for my BC8 and installed them a few days ago. They are a little thicker than the stock fans but they fit under the hood. I don't know if it was just the ones that I got, but the screw holes didn't match up perfectly and it took a little patience to get them screwed in snug. I give props to the seller though, he shipped them quick and I think I had them in about 48 hrs.

I wish I could tell you that they would help your heat issues but I'm not sure. I bought my tank used a couple of weeks ago and don't have it up and running yet, the fans were a little loud so I thought I'd go ahead and upgrade - I will say they're a little quieter. Also ordered the pc-r bulbs and fish saver so we're pretty much tank twinkies at this point :D

I'm hoping that the PC-R bulbs will help the heat issues. There will be less white going on, so hopefully that means less heat. Of course, this is based solely on sticking my hand under the hood and going "Hmmm... the 10000K feels warmer than the dual actinic". How's that for scientific?

So how off were the fans? I don't want to try and force anything in there, especially if it isn't decent quality. I'm not completely sold on ebay-ing some fans, but the price is awfully nice... Do they seem decent? Or do you think you get what you pay for?

I filled out the form to get the replacement fans from Oceanic. I hear they send them for free, so hopefully that will help.

I think overall that they're pretty good, I didn't want to do any splicing and couldn't find any 2 pin connecting fans at Fry's so I went with these. I was hoping that they would be a little more quiet but I've heard that there is a bit of break in period so maybe they will be. For $18 shipped, I've got no complaints

Well I cut the baffles on the metal guard and took the fans out, cleaned them, and put them back. Didn't get any death screech today and my temps were holding steady around 79.8F. Maybe they just needed cleaned? Who knows. Oceanic is still sending new ones for free, though, so I guess I'll have a backup set.

First water change was today! Decided to re-scape a bit, too. Nothing to crazy. Just moved the piece that was in the front left to the back to make it a bit higher. It opens up more sand, which I'm definitely a fan of.

post-62768-1295309317_thumb.jpg

First water change was today! Decided to re-scape a bit, too. Nothing to crazy. Just moved the piece that was in the front left to the back to make it a bit higher. It opens up more sand, which I'm definitely a fan of.

post-62768-1295309317_thumb.jpg

Like the new scape looks like the tanks is coming together :)

Sounds like things are really coming along man. I really like the slight change that you've made to the scape. Really opened up the overall look of the tank and should be perfect for what you want to keep.

Sorry I haven't responded to your PM sooner....had some internet issues this past weekend.

-Adam

Nor_Cal_Cuber

I'm beginning to wonder if I even need chaeto in this tank... the Purigen/Chemi-Pure Elite combo seems to be working wonders on my water quality. I'm thinking of scraping the back glass and adding one of these:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/JBJ-Nano-Glo-...ght-JB10094.htm

Not sure if that would throw heat as well or not.

Nice build thread. I like the new scape as well too. What are your stocking plans? I have had good results with a tiny o clown and a yellow clown goby with a dozen sexies. (sexies are a pita btw)

I agree with your thoughts about running the 10w bulbs at night, will help keep the ph swing in check as well.

Chemipure is a band-aide. I would go with macro before I went that route.

Nice build thread. I like the new scape as well too. What are your stocking plans? I have had good results with a tiny o clown and a yellow clown goby with a dozen sexies. (sexies are a pita btw)

I agree with your thoughts about running the 10w bulbs at night, will help keep the ph swing in check as well.

Chemipure is a band-aide. I would go with macro before I went that route.

I'm torn between putting the chaeto directly in the tank or keeping it in a fuge. The dual 10W are nice, but they throw some heat. I'm having a ton of heat problems as it is, so I'm not sure I want to run them. You can't see it in the picture, but the rock spire thing makes an almost perfect cup shape behind it where I could stuff some chaeto. It would be out of sight and I wouldn't have to worry about fuge lights/extra heat. Either way I'm going to run Chemi-Pure Elite/Purigen at all times. I've used Chemi-Pure in my 115g for a good 6 years now. The stuff is like reef crack.

As far as stocking goes, my plans are pretty open right now. I want a small clown of some kind (LFS has a really tiny onyx that's been tempting me) and a frogspawn. After that I'm going to throw a ton of zoas in there, hopefully a duncan or two, and maybe some rics or acans. No idea. I love softies, though, so there will be a ton :) I don't really want to add any corals until my new lights come in, but if I find the right frogspawn I just may have to grab it.

As far as the sexies go, I'm thinking three or so. I'm not 100% sold on them yet. I've thought about a small porcelain crab as well.

Nor_Cal_Cuber
.... I'm going to run Chemi-Pure Elite/Purigen at all times. I've used Chemi-Pure in my 115g for a good 6 years now. The stuff is like reef crack.

As far as stocking goes, my plans are pretty open right now. I want a small clown of some kind (LFS has a really tiny onyx that's been tempting me) and a frogspawn. After that I'm going to throw a ton of zoas in there, hopefully a duncan or two, and maybe some rics or acans. No idea. I love softies, though, so there will be a ton :) I don't really want to add any corals until my new lights come in, but if I find the right frogspawn I just may have to grab it.

As far as the sexies go, I'm thinking three or so. I'm not 100% sold on them yet. I've thought about a small porcelain crab as well.

What does it do for you? Just accelerates growth, more color....etc?

My sexies are too fun to watch, however they eat LPS and zoas if I don't feed them twice daily.

I added a Hydor Flo today. While it decreased flow a bit, the Mini-Jet 606 pushes more than enough to satisfy an 8g. I've also noticed it's brought my temperature down a bit. I think it mixes the water a bit better and helps disperse heat. I've done nothing different other than add the Flo and my temp has been between 79.9-80.3 all day. That's huge :)

I also purchased my first coral!! While I was at the LFS buying the Hydor I saw a little zoa colony growing on some rubble in the back of a tank. I asked how much they wanted for them, and they told me they didn't even know they were in there. I ended up getting them for $8!!! I counted when I got home and saw 21 polyps! Can't beat 38 cents a polyp! And it looks like there are two or three different kinds. They had lunar eclipse polyps in their display tank, so I'm pretty sure a few are those. There are also these beautiful neon yellow zoas with neon green centers (someone told me radioactive dragon eyes, but I'm not sure). And I think I saw a plain old red one on there before they got bagged. I'll post pictures as soon as they are done acclimating and open up!! I'm definitely not used to this small reef stuff... I had to top off after drip acclimating the zoas hahaha. Never had to worry about that in my 115g.

Pictures coming soon!!

:lol: AND YAY ZOAS!!! :lol:

Nor_Cal_Cuber
I added a Hydor Flo today. While it decreased flow a bit, the Mini-Jet 606 pushes more than enough to satisfy an 8g. I've also noticed it's brought my temperature down a bit. I think it mixes the water a bit better and helps disperse heat. I've done nothing different other than add the Flo and my temp has been between 79.9-80.3 all day. That's huge :)

I also purchased my first coral!! While I was at the LFS buying the Hydor I saw a little zoa colony growing on some rubble in the back of a tank. I asked how much they wanted for them, and they told me they didn't even know they were in there. I ended up getting them for $8!!! I counted when I got home and saw 21 polyps! Can't beat 38 cents a polyp! And it looks like there are two or three different kinds. They had lunar eclipse polyps in their display tank, so I'm pretty sure a few are those. There are also these beautiful neon yellow zoas with neon green centers (someone told me radioactive dragon eyes, but I'm not sure). And I think I saw a plain old red one on there before they got bagged. I'll post pictures as soon as they are done acclimating and open up!! I'm definitely not used to this small reef stuff... I had to top off after drip acclimating the zoas hahaha. Never had to worry about that in my 115g.

Pictures coming soon!!

:lol: AND YAY ZOAS!!! :lol:

Nice score! Nanos are easy to fill up! I top off with a water bottle. It's funny. I love those scores we run across time to time. PIX!!!!!

What does it do for you? Just accelerates growth, more color....etc?

My sexies are too fun to watch, however they eat LPS and zoas if I don't feed them twice daily.

Purigen breaks down organic wastes and helps control ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Chemi-Pure Elite controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates as well, but it also removes phosphates (like chaeto does) and buffers pH. It also filters coral toxins in the event some corals decide to go all crazy on me. They both accelerate growth/improve color in that they provide really, really nice water for corals. I'm running them in my media basket and put the chaeto I got today directly into my tank. It sits nicely behind the spire in this natural cup type formation. The dual 10W submersible halogens were throwing a lot of heat, and right now I can't afford that. I may move it back to the media rack if I can lower my temps a bit more.

I'm still trying to decide on what to add to the tank. Sexies are definitely at the top of my list right now, though :)

ZOAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crop2.jpg

Still trying to figure out how to photograph a reef tank, so the pic isn't as good as it can be. Someone needs to teach me!! No idea what the heck these zoas are called, but I got 21 heads for $8 so I'm damn happy! There are also some basic red zoas on the other side that came with these guys.

Great score man!!! Those look really really nice for a Charleston area store ;)

I'd say that's a pretty damn good shot. Nice depth of field and focus. I'm looking forward to seeing the others as well.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Nothing too terribly exciting has happened, though I have seen a bit:

Zoas have gotten even more color to them. They look like they are battery powered. Insane glow from these things. I'm tempted to fill my whole tank with them and see how bright they light up my room at night :)

Not 30 minutes after adding some empty shells to my tank one of the hermits (the scarlet) switched shells. Quite funny to watch. An hour later the blue leg switched... to the shell of one of my new dwarf ceriths. Sigh. I give him all these neat new shells and he goes and takes a snails.

Mounted a set of dual fans over the feeding lid opening. Thanks to Adam (Divecj5) for the fan action!! They're really loud, but man do they get the job done. Tank barely makes it to 80.4 now! New nanotuner fans should arrive any day so I'll be able to take the beast down. I'll take some pictures of the custom fan install.

Heading to the LFS tomorrow to see if I can score any other goodies. Just got paid and it's time to start filling this cube up!!

Glad the fans are working for you man. Have you had to break out the ear plugs yet :)

Hopefully the trip to the LFS will result in some nice coral finds.

-Adam

Keep on keeping on man! Looking forward to your new coral pictures! What fish did you end up with in there?

I've decided on a small onyx or a misbar clown. The LFS has an awesome tiny onyx, but it's currently paired (or so they say) with another onyx about twice the size. I don't want to split the pair and I don't think my 8g will hold two happily. I'm about to head out to Tideline now, so I may find something neat there :) Pictures if I get anything!

Got a 6 lobe red brain for $25, a nice size Duncan for $29.99 and a bright, bright GSP frag for $19.99 (I know that's a little expensive for GSP, but it's the brightest I've ever seen). Also grabbed a little rock for the GSP so I can make a GSP island and (hopefully) keep it contained. I'll post pictures tomorrow as soon as everything opens up!

Funny story... the guy at the LFS told me flat out that I was wrong and that the GSP frag was actually galaxia. We argued (almost to the point of shouting) until someone else came over and went "Uh... that's clearly GSP. Galaxia doesn't have a purple mat...." We need a good LFS in Charleston. At least I can find cheap frags at AoA though!

Like I said last night, sounds like you made out with some really nice deals, especially here locally. Hopefully I'll get to see some of your new additions soon.

Archived