inTank Media Baskets

Natural Seawater vs homemade saltwater

Gort

Hmm I am not sure about this. Here in Rhode Island we always talk about high nitrate and phosphate levels and the anoxic events they cause. Even in the coastal waters outside the bay I would imagine that due to high nutrient loading it would still be pretty high. I am not sure on the comparisons between sea grass and coral sensitivity to these nutrients, but if sea grass is having a hard time hanging on in a lot of these areas Im guessing coral would be sad.

What I think you are referring to are the problems with eelgrass (Zostera) in enclosed bays and marshes from polluted river runoff. I would not collect water anywhere where seagrass is present because it usually is found in low energy, low turnover areas. You need to get out on a beach where waves are crashing and a current is just offshore.

I have no data on what the nutrient levels are just offshore in RI but I can't imagine they are too bad. FWIW Atlantis Marine World uses NSW collected just off Long Island and they have one of the nicer looking reef tanks in the world. After passing them in LI, that water from the Gulf Stream goes straight up to you guys in RI.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive thought about bringing out a bucket and dropping it off my boat maybe a mile out and bring some water back (not from on the surface) and test it. but no reason to ask for trouble imo.

is it illegal to just take water from the ocean? I know my class almost got in serious trouble during senior prank because we stole sand from the beach and made a sand castle on a deck of our school... something about messing with an endangered species and ruining fragile dunes and all this stuff, cops were pissed. no one ever know who actually stole the sand and exactly where they got it...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived