ReefCleaners.org

my first derasa clam..

sirbiggstixx

^^ he likes the weird stuff.

yup he likes callin' girls by his mom's name.

lol not quite but that was funny

i actually like to call girls by YOUR mom's name!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ive been in this hobby for a long time so i know my stuff.

ive have tons of books and 4 aquariums in my rooms. all saltwater.

i also worked at a fish store and maintained over 100 tanks constantly.

lol. I'm gonna say that is a lie just by reading the first few posts in your Pico Thread.

IME I have never HAD to feed my clams. Clams are mostly photosynthetic. While supplemental feedings do help them grow at a faster rate. I feed my tank to support my feather dusters, and other filter feeders but it just turns out the clams get some of it as well. Thats what I have been doing the last 10 months. Before that it just lived under the MHs. Had good growth before but has much better growth now.

lol. I'm gonna say that is a lie just by reading the first few posts in your Pico Thread.

IME I have never HAD to feed my clams. Clams are mostly photosynthetic. While supplemental feedings do help them grow at a faster rate. I feed my tank to support my feather dusters, and other filter feeders but it just turns out the clams get some of it as well. Thats what I have been doing the last 10 months. Before that it just lived under the MHs. Had good growth before but has much better growth now.

thank you!!!

finally some one else that knows what they're talking about

This is one you do not hear often but it is true, when acclimating a clam, always put it in upside down until it opens up a little. Then put it right side up.

When clams are bagged and shipped or even bagged at the LFS they are exposed to the air. That air gets trapped inside the shell and Im not going to lie, I do not know what the trapped air can do to the clam but I understand it isnt the best.

When you put the clam in upside down the air is forced out of the foot opening and out of the internals of the clam.

Anyone else has any info on what trapped air can do to a clam please speak up.

Cause sever bleeding? :o:lol:

Never heard that one, sounds pretty neat though.

This is one you do not hear often but it is true, when acclimating a clam, always put it in upside down until it opens up a little. Then put it right side up.

When clams are bagged and shipped or even bagged at the LFS they are exposed to the air. That air gets trapped inside the shell and Im not going to lie, I do not know what the trapped air can do to the clam but I understand it isnt the best.

When you put the clam in upside down the air is forced out of the foot opening and out of the internals of the clam.

I always just had them bag the clam underwater in the store and then I un-bagged it the same way in my tank (yes, I ended up with all the bag water in my tank......). I did not do the upside down thing, but I did always rotate it all around underwater to let any obvious air pockets float to the surface. I guess it could have had air inside it....but I doubt it since it was bagged underwater.

In Tahiti they are often exposed to the air during low tides (I witnessed this myself on several occassions). They just close up and wait for the tide to come back in. What I'm saying is, they're often exposed to the air for extended periods in the wild with seemingly no ill effects.

In Tahiti they are often exposed to the air during low tides (I witnessed this myself on several occassions). They just close up and wait for the tide to come back in. What I'm saying is, they're often exposed to the air for extended periods in the wild with seemingly no ill effects.

yup...usually 4-6 hours out of water.....in that time they can be rained on as well....that's why freshwater dips are NOT as stressful as everyone makes them out to be

yup...usually 4-6 hours out of water.....in that time they can be rained on as well....that's why freshwater dips are NOT as stressful as everyone makes them out to be

All this "ruckus" about trapped air... my maxima "burps" itself when air is trapped. I actually think it says "excuse me" afterwards too. :lol:

All this "ruckus" about trapped air... my maxima "burps" itself when air is trapped. I actually think it says "excuse me" afterwards too. :lol:

I was told this from a couple importers, if it has any actual bearing im not sure, like I said I had no facts other than this is what I had been told by two seperate folks that work in the industry.

I do do the upside down method and seems to work within a few minutes. Figured if I was told to do it what harm can it do right ?

Archived