Coral Vue Hydros

46 Gallon Bow Front Reef Tank (Retired)

FLNanoReefer

That is where I am pretty lucky and share a credit card with my mother, so if I need something before I can afford it I can get it and just pay the card off.

But I agree with partyinyourhonor, go to fishneedit.com and check out their fixtures.. get a 4 bulb T5 and you should be set pretty good actually.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not sure if anyone else mentioned this but I think most of your problems would be solved by getting a new light... I think your tank is too deep to keep corals... I started with a very similar coralife pc and had very poor results... everything in your tank will improve with new lighting... and you don't have to spend all that much...

fish need it

I just saw your post. Are these fixtures any good. I have looked at them before and I have seen people use them on their tanks.

That is where I am pretty lucky and share a credit card with my mother, so if I need something before I can afford it I can get it and just pay the card off.

But I agree with partyinyourhonor, go to fishneedit.com and check out their fixtures.. get a 4 bulb T5 and you should be set pretty good actually.

Thanks. Could I keep SPS under a 4 bulb T5 fixture?

You would be able to keep some lower light sps in your tank with a 4bulb t5 fixture, running good bulbs like Geissman and ATI because they have higher par values than most other bulbs. KZ bulbs are good too.

The SPS you could keep would include MontiCaps, Pocci's, Digis, and Birdsnests.

What are your tank dimensions, length and height?

You would be able to keep some lower light sps in your tank with a 4bulb t5 fixture, running good bulbs like Geissman and ATI because they have higher par values than most other bulbs. KZ bulbs are good too.

The SPS you could keep would include MontiCaps, Pocci's, Digis, and Birdsnests.

What are your tank dimensions, length and height?

The dimensions are the same as a standard 46 Gallon Bow Front Tank. Sorry for not giving them to you, but I don't have time to measure it right now.

I just checked google for the dimensions..

36x15x20h

A 36inch 4 bulb unit would be good to go with.

They are backordered right now, but that will give you time to save up to buy one.

The dimensions are the same as a standard 46 Gallon Bow Front Tank. Sorry for not giving them to you, but I don't have time to measure it right now.

the tank is 3 feet long, 36 inches, depth on the sides is 12 inches, maxing out at 18 inches at the apex of the bow :)

For your torch, I would trim everything but the surviving head and still so an iodine dip to be safe. This will help correct any infection before it is visible, as it could still be there just not showing signs yet!

A previous poster also made a good point, that the lights may be an issue. I'm always weary to recommending changing expensive equipment before trying out cheaper alternatives though! Fishneedit fixtures have a pretty good track record I believe, especially since they are on the lower-end of the price spectrum.

It does seem that the 46 bow threads don't get too much traffic :P that's why I really want a 57 Oceanic, so I can keep all of my equips but have a deeper tank that doesn't distort my photos!

I think stronger lights are a must for you, but I think there are two other things that need correction.

First: GET A HEATER. I have mentioned this before. You say your tank is at 75 degrees. I think it should be 3-6 degrees higher. Also, without a heater you could be bottoming out lower than 75 and have temp swings that are causing problems. This is such a cheap addition, I am surprised you have not done it yet. If you already have one, then turn it up :)

Second: I think something is off with your water. You have a lot of brown diatoms from what I can see.

To answer the questions you asked in my tank thread:

I run a 20" Nova Extreme Pro. It has 6 18W T5 bulbs. I did run the stock PCs over my BioCube for quite a while however and kept an acan and a very healthy and rapidly growing hammer coral. Torch coral is more demanding than hammer, but I think it would have been okay.

I also think you should stop dosing. Why did you start? If you are doing regular water changes it isn't necessary. I don't does anything in my tank, but I do water changes once a week (occasionally twice). If you are buying mixed salt water from the LFS and they are recommending dosing, ask them if they dose and why they don't use a salt mix that has adequate elements in it.

I love my 57g CollegeNano.. when you get one you will love it too.

The oceanic 57 is my favorite 3 foot tank BY FAR. Just wish I had the cash to buy one. I've been scanning craigslist daily for a lucky find :)

I just browsed your thread and want one even more now, nice setup and GREAT SPS!

I just checked google for the dimensions..

36x15x20h

A 36inch 4 bulb unit would be good to go with.

They are backordered right now, but that will give you time to save up to buy one.

Cool. I will look into them.

the tank is 3 feet long, 36 inches, depth on the sides is 12 inches, maxing out at 18 inches at the apex of the bow :)

For your torch, I would trim everything but the surviving head and still so an iodine dip to be safe. This will help correct any infection before it is visible, as it could still be there just not showing signs yet!

A previous poster also made a good point, that the lights may be an issue. I'm always weary to recommending changing expensive equipment before trying out cheaper alternatives though! Fishneedit fixtures have a pretty good track record I believe, especially since they are on the lower-end of the price spectrum.

It does seem that the 46 bow threads don't get too much traffic :P that's why I really want a 57 Oceanic, so I can keep all of my equips but have a deeper tank that doesn't distort my photos!

I will have to head to the LFS this weekend to get some Lugol's Solution by Kent Marine.

QWe don't get much traffic at all. Be sure to start a thread for the new tank. I checked out your bow front and it is awesome. What type of lights do you have on there?

I think stronger lights are a must for you, but I think there are two other things that need correction.

First: GET A HEATER. I have mentioned this before. You say your tank is at 75 degrees. I think it should be 3-6 degrees higher. Also, without a heater you could be bottoming out lower than 75 and have temp swings that are causing problems. This is such a cheap addition, I am surprised you have not done it yet. If you already have one, then turn it up :)

Second: I think something is off with your water. You have a lot of brown diatoms from what I can see.

To answer the questions you asked in my tank thread:

I run a 20" Nova Extreme Pro. It has 6 18W T5 bulbs. I did run the stock PCs over my BioCube for quite a while however and kept an acan and a very healthy and rapidly growing hammer coral. Torch coral is more demanding than hammer, but I think it would have been okay.

I also think you should stop dosing. Why did you start? If you are doing regular water changes it isn't necessary. I don't does anything in my tank, but I do water changes once a week (occasionally twice). If you are buying mixed salt water from the LFS and they are recommending dosing, ask them if they dose and why they don't use a salt mix that has adequate elements in it.

I am getting a heater ASAP. Does anyone recommend a specific brand?

IAll of the diatoms are gone since adding the Sea Cucumber.

I started dosing because I felt it would be better for the tank. I am going to cut down now because there really isn't much to dose for.

My clownfish are not eating. I have tried feeding them some pellet food on Tuesday and Wednesday but they won't eat it. Just as I was buying them on Sunday the LFS was feeding them what looked to be mysis shrimp. I didn't really see them eat very much, but yet again I wasn't really paying attention. Do you guys think they will start eating? Any tips? I guess I will try again tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of the tank. I need a ID for the new zoa colony. I believe it is Peach Blossom Zoa's but would love verification. I also think the xenia is pulsing xenia, but if anyone has anything different to say LMK.

New Combo Coral Rock

post-59111-1297384018_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1297384031_thumb.jpg

The Remains of the Torch Coral

post-59111-1297384050_thumb.jpg

I will hopefully post some pictures of the new combo coral rock under actinics only in a little bit. Just need to take the pictures.

Whatever you do, when you get the heater DON'T get a STEALTH, they suck and could blow up in your tank.

On the other hand, I have seen people use the Visitherm glass heater made by the same company. I have one in my 20L. It's ok... but prefer the Aquaclear glass heaters myself, which are made by Hagen. A good number of people also have the Hydor heaters, also made by Hagen so you have a few options.

Here is hoping your clownfish start eating soon. Do you have any flake food, like Ocean Nutrition?? Mine love that stuff.

What was causing the diatoms?

Have you tested your params?

Have the LFS do it for you.

I think the diatoms were being caused by the amount of detritus I had in the tank. The Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber has done a pretty good job of cleaning up the sand bed. There are still a few spots that need work though.

I tested my parameters a week or two ago and they were all fine. When I test again I will let you guys know.

The test kit I use is the same test kit the LFS uses to test water if you bring it in to them, so I think it would be silly to have them test it for me. I will though if it is necessary.

Whatever you do, when you get the heater DON'T get a STEALTH, they suck and could blow up in your tank.

On the other hand, I have seen people use the Visitherm glass heater made by the same company. I have one in my 20L. It's ok... but prefer the Aquaclear glass heaters myself, which are made by Hagen. A good number of people also have the Hydor heaters, also made by Hagen so you have a few options.

Here is hoping your clownfish start eating soon. Do you have any flake food, like Ocean Nutrition?? Mine love that stuff.

I am going to research heaters. I found a Eheim Inline Heater at DFS. It looks good so I may buy it in the near future. Does anyone have any good feedback on inline heaters. I really want a heater that I can set the temperature I want the tank to be at and the heater takes it from there. I don't want one that needs constant adjustments.

GOOD NEWS- The clowns ate some pellets Thursday night and this morning. They seem to be doing well in the tank.

I did a 5 gallon water change today and also dosed all supplements. I also tried fragging my new zoa's so we will see how that goes. I will post new pictures soon. PM me if interested in a frag of Peach Blossom Zoa's.

Hey, I saw your post on my thread about the mushrooms. I wouldn't mind sending you some if you covered shipping costs (shipping price, heat pack price if you want it) so I come out even. Plus I have some orange monti cap fragments floating around and I could send you one. They (monti cap, shrooms should be fine) have a chance to survive 2-day shipping but since you would pay shipping it's your call! Let me know if you're willing to work something out.

I live in Greensboro, NC 27401.

Heater: I have owned two Jager heaters and would own 100 more. They are extremely good heaters in my opinion and worth the few extra bucks for a premium heater. I've read too many stories on heater failure to cheap out on a heater! I would also buy two heaters, because if one does fail or malfunctions, you're not risking that your tank freezes.

Hey, I saw your post on my thread about the mushrooms. I wouldn't mind sending you some if you covered shipping costs (shipping price, heat pack price if you want it) so I come out even. Plus I have some orange monti cap fragments floating around and I could send you one. They (monti cap, shrooms should be fine) have a chance to survive 2-day shipping but since you would pay shipping it's your call! Let me know if you're willing to work something out.

I live in Greensboro, NC 27401.

Heater: I have owned two Jager heaters and would own 100 more. They are extremely good heaters in my opinion and worth the few extra bucks for a premium heater. I've read too many stories on heater failure to cheap out on a heater! I would also buy two heaters, because if one does fail or malfunctions, you're not risking that your tank freezes.

Do you think a Monti Cap would do fine under PC's?

Is this the heater you are talking about?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...mp;pcatid=22042

Do you think a Monti Cap would do fine under PC's?

Is this the heater you are talking about?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...mp;pcatid=22042

That is the brand. It appears that they have modified the design to add some calibration that mine doesn't have. In other words, it is mine but probably better!

I forgot you had PC lights. If the monti cap does survive under PCs it will likely need to be high up near the lights. Even then it may brown-out if it isn't getting enough light. I would pass on the monti, and do two day shipping for the mushrooms if you decide you want them!

• 4 weeks later...
FLNanoReefer

The tank is doing good. I headed to the LFS today and purchased a Midas Blenny and a Blue/Purple Mushroom Rock along with some water. The Midas Blenny is hiding now so I will hopefully take pictures tomorrow. I also notciced when I was acclimating him that his back fin is a little bitten up. What should I do? I think I should just leave it as is and see how he does.

FLNanoReefer

I will try to post pictures tomorrow. I purchased some PE Mysis Shrimp today and fed it to the tank and the Blenny finally seemed to eat a bit. He is finally coming out and showing his beautiful colors.

Yeah, my midas blenny took some time to adjust. Now it swims around the tank with no problem. It eats pretty much anything I throw in there. Make sure you feed it daily!

FLNanoReefer
Yeah, my midas blenny took some time to adjust. Now it swims around the tank with no problem. It eats pretty much anything I throw in there. Make sure you feed it daily!

He is starting to swim around when people are around, but it is still a surprise when he does.

I fed the tank 1/2 a cube of PE Mysis Shrimp this morning and the Blenny was all over it. The clownfish actually had some competition for food!!

Yeah, try feeding it shredded market shrimp, you'll see a feeding frenzy. Post a pic of it when you get a chance. It appears mine might be turning yellow.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived