Pod Your Reef

46 Gallon Bow Front Reef Tank (Retired)

FLNanoReefer

I wouldnt add any livestock until you have zero nitrates zero nitrites, do a water change, and if you are gonna have corals I keep my salinity around 1.025-1.026 but lower for fish only is fine

the coral looks like its prlly dead but chemi pure elite is pretty good I would def let the tank balance out on its own with water changes as the only change, also dont need your lights on too long during the cycle that will cut down on the diatom growth. hope this helps

also chaeto is great I use it in all my tanks, if u dont have room for a refugium separate from your tank you can just shove some behind a rock out of sight, and the pre filtration thing sounds like a good idea if you dont have any other form of mechanical filtration like a sock or something

I'm not so sure if mangroves really do much nutrient export, but I have them in my refugium, mostly because I like how they look =)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldnt add any livestock until you have zero nitrates zero nitrites, do a water change, and if you are gonna have corals I keep my salinity around 1.025-1.026 but lower for fish only is fine

the coral looks like its prlly dead but chemi pure elite is pretty good I would def let the tank balance out on its own with water changes as the only change, also dont need your lights on too long during the cycle that will cut down on the diatom growth. hope this helps

also chaeto is great I use it in all my tanks, if u dont have room for a refugium separate from your tank you can just shove some behind a rock out of sight, and the pre filtration thing sounds like a good idea if you dont have any other form of mechanical filtration like a sock or something

I'm not so sure if mangroves really do much nutrient export, but I have them in my refugium, mostly because I like how they look =)

I am only going to add the fish and corals if the parameters are correct when I have them tested on Wednesday. If they are not correct, I will only add the snails and purchase some Chemi-Pure Elite. I am going to add the Chemi-Pure Elite once my cycle is done. I don't believe that my LFS has any chaeto, so I will order some online when I get a chance. Maybe I will find someone on Nano-Reef who is selling it. I do have a canister filter that is currently running some filter padding (purchased from LFS for 1.99 per square foot and it is blue on one side and white on the other side.) The main reason for adding the pre-filter attachment would be to get the unsightly pump out of the tank, and to have a place to put the chaeto/mangroves.

Has anyone has any success with using a additive that makes the water safe for fish/corals while the tank is cycling, such as Instant Ocean Bio-Spira? I wasn't planning on using this, but if it works well I might try it.

Pre-filter thing sounds cool for the skimmer. I would wait longer before getting more fish just to be safe.

Thanks for your input. I am hoping my tank is done cycling so I can add my first fish/corals. :)

It looks like one of my Hermit Crabs just molted this morning. I noticed the old skeleton and just realized now that it had molted. One I saw it at first this morning I thought it must have died and the shell was somewhere in the tank. Do I remove the old exoskeleton or should I leave it in?

Heading to the LFS tomorrow to have my water tested and to possibly get some corals/fish. I will post picture tomorrow.

You may want to try Crystal water from Home Depot. It is R/O filtered. Its $15 for a 5 gallon jug. You get $10 back when you return the bottle, so refills basically cost $5. Also the Walmart near me has a Culligan water station near the dairy products. There is a pamphlet that shows their filtration process. Sediment filtered, carbon filtered, R/O filtered, then U/V sterilized. I forgot to look at the per gallon price.

Good luck, you seem to be very anxious to get everything up and running, but remember, in aquariums nothing "good" ever happens fast. You should've cycled the tank after adding the live rock. I'm not really into sacrificing a fish or two to speed up the process. They went through a lot to make it to your house just to be poisoned by the ammonia leeching from your live rock.

You may want to try Crystal water from Home Depot. It is R/O filtered. Its $15 for a 5 gallon jug. You get $10 back when you return the bottle, so refills basically cost $5. Also the Walmart near me has a Culligan water station near the dairy products. There is a pamphlet that shows their filtration process. Sediment filtered, carbon filtered, R/O filtered, then U/V sterilized. I forgot to look at the per gallon price.

Good luck, you seem to be very anxious to get everything up and running, but remember, in aquariums nothing "good" ever happens fast. You should've cycled the tank after adding the live rock. I'm not really into sacrificing a fish or two to speed up the process. They went through a lot to make it to your house just to be poisoned by the ammonia leeching from your live rock.

Your brilliant!

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice. I've made a "beginner mistake" already, but I don't plan on having any more.

I went to the LFS this morning and had them test my water for me. As I suspected, my Nitrite and Nitrate are very high, so fish and any other livestock were out of the question. The store recommended a bacterial additive that helps with the reduction of Nitrite Amd Nitrate. I purchased the bacterial additive (Nite-Out II by Ecological Labs), some Jungle Test Strips, a set of Coralife Adjustable Mounting Legs, and 10 gallons of saltwater.

The LFS said that the bacterial additive should make the water safe in 2-3 days, so I will hopefully make a trip to the LFS on Saturday. Before I make the trip I plan on doing a 8 gallon water change. I hope to purchase 2 Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 or 2 corals (mushrooms, zoas, or green star polyps), 3 Nassarius Snails, and some Chemi-Pure Elite.

I also plan on getting some Candy Cane Corals (Caulastrea furcata) at some point. Ho long should I wait until I can add them? I have read that they are some of the easier LPS corals to keep, and I really like them. I also like Hammer Corals, but I will not be adding one until at least after Christmas.

As always advice, suggestions, and comments are more than welcome.

I tested my parameters today and they have gone down by almost half. I will post the specific readings later. Happy Thanksgiving!

So for the past 4 days since Wednesday I have been adding the Nite-Out II at different intervals each day and testing the water for nitrates and nitrites. My current parameters are:

Nitrites- 0 ppm

Nitrates- less than 40 ppm

I did a 10 percent water change yesterday also. So with my parameters in a acceptable range I headed to the LFS and added my first livestock. I added two young black and white false percula clowns, 1 beautiful colony of red mushrooms, and a nice frag of green star polyps. I also noticed a small snail hitch hiker that must have come on one of the corals.

I will post pictures as soon as the coral polyps extend. I will also be watching the parameters very closely and adding the bacterial additive as needed. I will also do water changes if the nitrates become too high. As always advice is much appreciated.

So all of my new livestock is doing well. The clowns are hanging out together and don't go more than a few inches apart. I put a few pellets in yesterday and the darker colored one ate right away. The Green Star Polyps have all of their polyps extended and look great in the tank. The Red Mushroom Colony is such a beautiful coral. Both of the corals look so cool under the actinics.

I tested my water this morning and am very happy with the current parameters. The Nitrites are at 0 ppm, while the Nitrates are between 20 and 40 ppm. I added another 15 mL of Nite-Out II, so hopefully the nitrates stay in control. If not I am prepared to do a 10% water change and add more Nite-Out II if necessary.

Here are some pictures of my new livestock. All pictures were taken with a Olympus FE-370 with the flash turned off. Some pictures were also taken in macro and super macro modes. I don't know why the glass looks so scratched in the pictures. In real life there are only a few scratches that are very hard to see. Enjoy and please comment!!

My New Red mushroom Colony (I assume they are red mushrooms...if not what are they?)

post-59111-1290972365_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1290972382_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1290972400_thumb.jpg

My Frag of Green Star Polyps

post-59111-1290972449_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1290972470_thumb.jpg

My 2 Black and White False Percula Clownfish (They are very difficult to photograph. They won't stop swimming!!)

post-59111-1290972544_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1290972560_thumb.jpg

A Updated Full Tank Shot

post-59111-1290972634_thumb.jpg

I tested the water parameters today:

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate 20-40 ppm

I also fed the clowns some pellet food this morning and they gobbled it up right away.

I am also posting the amount of Nite-Out II that I used while trying to get the Nitrites/Nitrates down, for anyone that is interested. My initial readings on Wednesday morning were Nitrites >10 ppm and the Nitrates 180 ppm. They are now at a stable level and all livestock is doing great. I would highly recommend this product to anyone that needs to get their Nirites and Nitrates down as soon as possible.

11/24/10 Added about 30 mL

11/25/10 Added about 15 mL

11/26/10 Added about 20-25 mL in the morning and performed 10% water change that night

11/27/10 Added my first livestock

11/28/10 Added about 15 mL

Definately slow down... way way way down.

Your cycle hasn't finished yet. The fact your nitrates are up and down is proof of that. Also your diatom bloom isn't through yet either, so the bacteria in your tank has not multiplied enough to balance your system yet.

Most people wait at least two months before adding higher life forms like fish. Some people will add softies that like dirty water in around the month part.

Did you start with wet rock that has been already cycled or dry rock?

What are your full stocking plans for this tank?

Definately slow down... way way way down.

Your cycle hasn't finished yet. The fact your nitrates are up and down is proof of that. Also your diatom bloom isn't through yet either, so the bacteria in your tank has not multiplied enough to balance your system yet.

Most people wait at least two months before adding higher life forms like fish. Some people will add softies that like dirty water in around the month part.

Did you start with wet rock that has been already cycled or dry rock?

What are your full stocking plans for this tank?

Thanks for posting some feedback. The reason I added my first livestock is because my LFS said that if I added the Nite-Out II then the water would be safe for the fish/corals after a few days. Are the fish okay in the tank? They seem to be doing very well. They are eating good and are always swimming. They like to hang out on the right side of the tank though (I think the flow is less.) They corals also appear to be doing well. Their polyps are fully extended and it appears that the GSP has started to take hold of the rock.

The rock that I used was Fiji Standard Live Rock from Live Aquaria. The rock was pre-cured, but curing it upon arrival was recommended.

In the tank I would like to add a Goby of some type, perhaps a small Wrasse, and a Red Mandarinfish once my tank becomes very mature (I will not add it for at least 6+ months.) I would also like to have a variety of Mushrooms, Florida Ricordias, and some Zoanthids. I would also like a few LPS corals like Candy Canes, a Green Hammer Coral, and maybe a Plate Coral. I would also like to add a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp later on. I know it sounds like a lot, but I plan on doing it very slowly. When I say slowly I mean 1 or 2 small corals a month, if that. I am also not going to add anymore fish for probably 2 months. Any input on my stocking plans or anything else is greatly appreciated!!

Always take what an LFS says with a grain of very large rock salt. Many times they just want to sell you something and while it can be done, it shouldn't always be done. You will need to keep a constant eye on the clowns for health issues caused by adding them too early. They may seem fine now, but a week or two down the road they could develop ick from stress or just up and die.

Add 1-2 colonies a month is good, or 5 small frags can work out too.

Your fish selection is pretty good, but you will need to restock your tank with pods if you put a mandarinfish in there.

Go to reefcleaners.org website for your clean up crew. John has a really good selection on there with a little bit of everything. His prices are awesome too.

Always take what an LFS says with a grain of very large rock salt. Many times they just want to sell you something and while it can be done, it shouldn't always be done. You will need to keep a constant eye on the clowns for health issues caused by adding them too early. They may seem fine now, but a week or two down the road they could develop ick from stress or just up and die.

Add 1-2 colonies a month is good, or 5 small frags can work out too.

Your fish selection is pretty good, but you will need to restock your tank with pods if you put a mandarinfish in there.

Go to reefcleaners.org website for your clean up crew. John has a really good selection on there with a little bit of everything. His prices are awesome too.

I know that I can't always listen to the LFS, but after I looked it up online, read some reviews, and decided to give it a try. I will monitor the clowns very closely and will check the water parameters at least every other day. I noticed a small grayish-white lump on the side on the older clown. He is acting normal and the lump itself is very hard to see with the naked eye. I think that it may be from the two clowns establishing themselves as a pair and I do not think it is anything to be worried about. I will be watching it and any input is greatly appreciated.

I looked at the reefcleaners.org and am very impressed. I would like to buy my CUC from my LFS though, so what are some good snails to add? I currently have 10 blue/red legged hermit crabs and 1 hitch hiker snail whose I.D. is unknown.

I forgot to add that my clowns are tank raised. I just took some pictures of my corals/fish under the actinic light, so I will be posting the pictures very soon!!

So all seems to be going well with the tank. This morning I fed them and check the water parameters and they appear to be the same. I checked the GSP and they have attached themselves to the rock and it even appears that they have started to grow. I am very impressed with the way that they are adapting to the tank!! I also saw a very small mushroom on the opposite side of the tank from where the mushrooms are. I tried to move it and place it on the other side by the colony, but after a few minutes it was no linger in the spot. I guess we will have to see where it ends up.

**FROM MY PREVIOUS POST** I noticed a small grayish-white lump on the side on the older clown. He is acting normal and the lump itself is very hard to see with the naked eye. I think that it may be from the two clowns establishing themselves as a pair and I do not think it is anything to be worried about. I will be watching it and any input is greatly appreciated.

I took some more pictures of the tank with only the actinic lights on. The GSP and mushrooms look so cool under actinics only. Enjoy the new pictures and as always criticism and comments are more than welcome.

The Red Mushrooms

post-59111-1291169076_thumb.jpg

post-59111-1291169093_thumb.jpg

The GSP

post-59111-1291169117_thumb.jpg

The Black and White Clowns

post-59111-1291169211_thumb.jpg

A Full Tank Shot

post-59111-1291169241_thumb.jpg

After the lights went out last night and the polyps receded I could really see how much the GSP have attached to the rock. It is amazing at how fast they are taking hold of the rock and spreading.

Yes, gsp does not take long to grasp a foothold in any ones tank.

To answer your question in terms of a clean up grew.

Cerith snails for diatoms

Nassarius snails to clean up left over food your fish miss.

Turbo snails to take care of and prevent algae outbreaks.

Yes, gsp does not take long to grasp a foothold in any ones tank.

To answer your question in terms of a clean up grew.

Cerith snails for diatoms

Nassarius snails to clean up left over food your fish miss.

Turbo snails to take care of and prevent algae outbreaks.

Thanks. How many of each type of snail should I get? I read that for nassarius snails you should only at 1 for every 13 gallons of water. I would only add 3-4 then. Is that correct?

I was also thinking about getting the Reef Keeper Lite (Plus) Package from Digital Aquatics for Christmas. I would also get the Float Switch with mounting bracket so that I could set up a ATO system. I would also get the MLC module. For the MLC module you need to pick between Lunar White or Nocturnal Blue PODS. Does anyone have a recommendation as to which color PODS to get? Also, has anyone used the Reef Keeper Lite, and if so how do you like it?

The fish and corals are doing well and the diatoms are appearing to die off. For Christmas I was also going to get the Pre-Filter Box for my skimmer and what ever else I need to set up a ATO system (reservoir, pump, tubing, and suction cups.) I will also probably get some corals and chaeto/mangrove. As always, advice is greatly appreciated!!

Looks like you are off to a good start in your tank. You've selected some good starter corals. In terms of things to consider, I would take a good look at your live rock wall and consider adding some additional rock. Get your rock scape down now before the tank is full of coral.

Thanks. How many of each type of snail should I get? I read that for nassarius snails you should only at 1 for every 13 gallons of water. I would only add 3-4 then. Is that correct?

Cerith snails: 20+ depending on if you get regular sized or dwarf ceriths. You will of course loose some of them to your hermits for homes.

Nassarius snails: 5 large (adult sized) + 8 babies, and this will give you enough of them that as they mature and mate and then die off that you keep an almost constant supply of them. In my tank I have adults, small babies and then teeny tiny little babies. You will still need to restock every once in a while, but it does help this way.

Turbo snails: 1 only unless you have a really bad algae issue.

The RKL sounds like a good idea, though I have never used one myself.

Archived